Author Topic: I saw a tiger shark today!  (Read 533 times)

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
I saw a tiger shark today!
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:55 am »
+6
Was working with customers as a snorkel tour guide to swim with and view dolphin in the water.

After seeing a lot of dolphin they outpaced us and were were in the water seeing if the dolphin were going to turn around and come close again... and that's when I saw the tiger shark, swimming almost straight at me, he got to about 20 ft away and then turned and kept that distance while checking me out, then he swam off. He was between 5-10 ft depth, during the whole thing...
Was awesome!!
But the bummer was that I was so nervous when he was swimming at me that I forgot I had a camera strapped to my wrist... All I could think about was, "how close are you gonna get shark" and "what am I gonna do if he speeds up and comes at me?" I could have had epic nat geo photographs to frame on my wall and tell everyone "I took that picture" :( Ohwell... maybe I'll get another chance someday, though its kind of doubtful I'll ever get that close to one again. Only other time I've seen a tiger shark is while I'm on a boat and someone points one out... you can see their shadow/silhouette from the boat.

It was hard to tell the size because there was nothing else to compare it to in the water, but I'm guessing it was about 11-13ft in length and around 200-250+ lbs. A lot bigger and more intimidating than the white tip reef sharks that are fairly common to spot while scuba diving around here (Island of Hawaii, aka big island).

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
Re: I saw a tiger shark today!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:49:35 am »
+1
next time use the costumers to feed the shark and do not forget to shoot it on video
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:05:32 am »
+4
next time use the costumers to feed the shark and do not forget to shoot it on video

Also say stuff in Russian while filming. Like cyka blyat. It makes the video seem more extreme and gory than it is.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:31 am »
+1
Never. Turn. Off. Your. Camera. While. Underwater. Never. The timeframe of "cool" pictures is way too small, if you put it away or turn it off you've lost. Except for static things like corals and stuff.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:47:58 am »
+2
I saw a bird :)
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:58:35 am »

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:19:14 am »
+14
Which one?

Was working with custombikemechanics as an airplane tour guide to fly with and view butterflies in the air.

After seeing a lot of butterfly they outpaced us and were were in the air seeing if the butterflies were going to turn around and come close again... and that's when I saw the tiger bird, flying almost straight at me, he got to about 20 ft away and then turned and kept that distance while checking me out, then he flew off. He was between 5k-10k ft altitude, during the whole thing...
Was awesome!!
But the bummer was that I was so nervous when he was flying at me that I forgot I had a camera strapped to my dick... All I could think about was, "what am i gonna eat when i'm back on the ground" and "what am i gonna do when it turns out i don't have any money?" I could have had epic nat geo photographs to frame on my wall and tell everyone "I took that picture" :( Ohwell... maybe I'll get another chance someday, though its kind of doubtful I'll ever get that close to one again. Only other time I've seen a tiger bird is while I'm on a tower and someone points one out... you can see their shadow/silhouette from the tower.

It was hard to tell the size because there was nothing else to compare it to in the sky, but I'm guessing it was about 11-13ft in length and around 200-250+ lbs. A lot bigger and more intimidating than the white tip reef birds that are fairly common to spot while halo-ing around here (Island of Burg Krems, aka best clan, join or ban est. 1987).
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »
are you sure it wasn't a white tipped reef bird?

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile