Author Topic: Leaked gameplay video of Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun, the cancelled LoK sequel  (Read 736 times)

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
Title says it all. Apparetly, some dude had been trying to uncover the details of the cancelled game for about 2 years now. This game was cancelled in 2012 as a stillborn project and Nosgoth, the f2p multiplayer version, was what remained.

Some people on Youtube claim that it wouldn't live up to the name and was only being celebrated by those who had been having wet dreams about a sequel. I personally think it shows potential. I haven't watched the entire half an hour video. Skipped forward here and there. All I can say is that the setting looks interesting. Maybe combat needs to be toned down, because the main character seems to be ultra agile by default (which should happen in the process of progression).

Another criticism was that the setting and main character design were not loyal to the original series. It is a correct remark. Yet I would like to view this like what Ninja Theory did with Devil May Cry. I mean it could work.

So, what are your opinions?

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
boobs

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
I've been playing Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and although the switching between realms is interesting it's mostly under-utilized and serves mostly as a fail-safe for dying in the 'real' world; the combat is repetitive and uninteresting, the sound design is horrible, the puzzles mostly consist of tedious block pushing puzzles (which are made more 'fun' later with enemies bothering you every few minutes) and although I enjoy jumping puzzles the camera likes to freak out and 180 in smaller areas. I will give it props for some of the monstrous designs though; the designs anyway, the graphics and hardware don't hold up in the slightest.

That just looks like another bland Ubisoft "open-world" game.
And how!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Atmosphere and story was awesome in Soul Reaver from what I remember. Might be some pink goggles of age tho...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, the first installment in the series was great.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
I've been playing Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and although the switching between realms is interesting it's mostly under-utilized and serves mostly as a fail-safe for dying in the 'real' world; the combat is repetitive and uninteresting, the sound design is horrible, the puzzles mostly consist of tedious block pushing puzzles (which are made more 'fun' later with enemies bothering you every few minutes) and although I enjoy jumping puzzles the camera likes to freak out and 180 in smaller areas. I will give it props for some of the monstrous designs though; the designs anyway, the graphics and hardware don't hold up in the slightest.

That just looks like another bland Ubisoft "open-world" game.

You are judging the game by today's standards. At the time it was released, it came with a massive "holy shit" factor. There was nothing like that around. Gothic open-worldish environment where you control an undead vampire seeking revenge... Not a rushed up story which you actually wanted to follow bit by bit... You are underestimating what the game brought to the table back then. This is why even a video of a cancelled sequel becomes a sensation. There was never an attempt to revisit and brilliantly freshen up the series. I just wish they would reconsider creating a next-gen sequel.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
You are judging the game by today's standards. At the time it was released, it came with a massive "holy shit" factor. There was nothing like that around. Gothic open-worldish environment where you control an undead vampire seeking revenge... Not a rushed up story which you actually wanted to follow bit by bit... You are underestimating what the game brought to the table back then. This is why even a video of a cancelled sequel becomes a sensation. There was never an attempt to revisit and brilliantly freshen up the series. I just wish they would reconsider creating a next-gen sequel.

I have to judge it by today's standards, I only played a demo of it back in the day around the time it was released. I never knocked the story and I can appreciate the overall design and world-building aspect for what was available at the time. As state-of-the-art and creative it was in it's day I would prefer Crystal Dynamics come up with a new IP rather than poop out something like a sequel based off Tomb Raider's skeleton and structure.
And how!

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
Understandable enough. I don't necessarily want them to make it a sequel. Something that could invoke that first impression Soul Reaver did back in the day will be more than welcome. It is just too lame for them to go for the f2p multiplayer formula. That is what frustrates me the most.