Author Topic: Huscarl shield  (Read 364 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Huscarl shield
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:23:50 pm »
+1
I think theres an unbalance in the shield line. I guess due to the difficulty 3 change recently. Dunno what has to be done, but it needs to be double checked. I mean... Check the stats on the "new" shields with 3 difficulty and compare stats with higher req. shields. Either buff huscarl shield or nerf the req.

Thats all. Thanks for reading.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Huscarl shield
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:44:24 pm »
Can you explain the imbalance that you see?
Edit: Were you thinking of a small bump or a larger change as well?

My perspective:
Huscarl is quite a bit superior to all of them minus the speed and weight. With 5-6 shield skill, damage mitigated by armor differences is slightly less than armor/2. This adds up when it takes upwards of 20+ hits to break a shield, and then you can compare that to the HP difference.

Huscarl has the best coverage in the game as well. There is a mechanics imbalance between round and non-round shields because of the large coverage difference, so non-round shields need to have better stats in other areas. 26 armor and 400 hp are high values by themselves, but huscarl has them both. 80 speed is enough of a deterrent to make it feel clunky.

I personally believe shield difficulty is implemented poorly, but it would be too much to overhaul all of them, especially when the exact benefits of shield skill to coverage and speed are unknown.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:54:55 pm by San »

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
+1
TL;DR Versio "waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaa buff my shield pls"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »
the difficulty 3 shields is not that worse than huscarl... those extra stats huscarl give really worth 2 skill-frikkin-points? yeah i get you about the covering but round shield? or maybe i would just like more higher difficulty shields. shield selection where the best shield a difficulty 5 is kinda bleh in these high-level times. would be nice with some kick-ass shields just like you have your kick ass polearms. my mw huscarl (shield 7) is firewood fighting just 1 enemy, yeah i can go pick another one up, but there isnt any. crpg is becomming a noshield-range-cav game, cos the shields we have are weak and crap. gief better shields... or something  :(

edit: look at the horse line. very diverse with light fast horse, heavy slow horses and all those in between, theres a horse for every taste and playstyle and build. i dont think its the same case with the shields. shields is either light/weak and fast or heavy/strong and slow - but why? a good strong shield doesnt have to be slow?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:50:18 pm by Sniger »

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 11:13:54 pm »
Many of the more durable round shields have less speed because of their overwhelming coverage advantage. The heavy norman, heavy heater, and triangle shields all boast great durability and good speed, but their coverage don't come close to the Huscarl's.

There is less of a difference between shields to provide more variety while still keeping the best shields great. The Huscarl's is probably close to 50% more durable than the round shield for instance, even though the round shield is still good. +100 hp, then another effective +60-70hp for shaving off an extra 3 damage per hit. You won't notice too much of a difference against shield breakers, but all shields go down fast against them. For all other weapons, there is going to be quite a noticeable durability increase.

If we knew how much of an integer or % increase shield skill had on speed, it would be easier to balance it. All I can say is that high shield skill will help ease the slower speed penalty of the huscarl.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »
but i dont want to agi whore -_-

what about buffing shield skill itself? so that it gives more bonus?

edit: or is this the problem, that you for some reason due to warband being gay or w/e, cant fiddle with the shield skill? the shield skill is pure warband, not touched by crpg at all?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 10:07:53 pm by Sniger »