Author Topic: Master server  (Read 610 times)

Offline Dolphin

• Earl
  • Renown: 375
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Can you find my secret ?
  • Faction: The Joyous Raider
  • Game nicks: DoIphin, Siff and some alts
  • IRC nick: Dolphin
Master server
« on: June 09, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »
+15
Hello Devs and happy Readers !

I know this might be over the top as taleworlds master server have only been down 2-3 times.
BUT !
If you havent lived your whole internet life in C-rpg mod then you should know that gamespy closed their service, which was being master server for alot of games.
Many games where affected and have been left unplayable for multiplayer, and that resulted in many multiplayer mods neither being playable.
Some mods just let it kill them, others made their own work around, one of them is "Project Reality" and "forgotten hope" both mods are running on battlefield 2.
So i suggest the dev team or someone interrested in this to make a work around in warband.

I suggest this for 2 reasons
  • I suggest that C-rpg did the same, because C-rpg cant be played anyway if the C-rpg/taleworlds server is down, so instead of relying on two servers we should rely on the C-rpg server.
  • This could be a great way to try out/practice creating a master server connection before melee battlegrounds, as you are going to need that in the standalone.

Sincerely Dolphin

Any pro's and con's discuss in the thread if you like.

Offline Afina

• Earl
  • Renown: 316
  • Infamy: 135
  • cRPG Player
  • «This is where we fight, this is where they die!!»
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Other
  • Game nicks: Afina
  • IRC nick: Afina
Re: Master server
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 05:40:32 am »
+1
good idea
Madness…? This is Sparta!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05:32 am »
Might get into legal trouble, as usually mods that do this type of thing are allowed because the parent company stopped supporting the game (and therefor did not care about CD Key validation, which is the reason that taleworlds has the master server in the first place). That said I think it is a great idea as long as it doesn't get the melee battlegrounds team sued.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:31:14 am »
+6
Might get into legal trouble, as usually mods that do this type of thing are allowed because the parent company stopped supporting the game (and therefor did not care about CD Key validation, which is the reason that taleworlds has the master server in the first place). That said I think it is a great idea as long as it doesn't get the melee battlegrounds team sued.

If they would get sued we would just send our best duelists to settle this the manly way!
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline Dolphin

• Earl
  • Renown: 375
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Can you find my secret ?
  • Faction: The Joyous Raider
  • Game nicks: DoIphin, Siff and some alts
  • IRC nick: Dolphin
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »

Dont know about this because e.g. Bf2 didnt use the the CD-key as authentication but a CD-hashcode which was unique to a CD-key and to be honest i think they are doing the same here, authentication seems also to be done by the server and not the master server.

But again my guess is as good as yours, but i agree they should check up on this if they wish to try this idea out.

All i hope is that this idea could in the end could help melee battlegrounds if its possible.

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »
Dont know about this because e.g. Bf2 didnt use the the CD-key as authentication but a CD-hashcode which was unique to a CD-key and to be honest i think they are doing the same here, authentication seems also to be done by the server and not the master server.

But again my guess is as good as yours, but i agree they should check up on this if they wish to try this idea out.

All i hope is that this idea could in the end could help melee battlegrounds if its possible.

Wouldn't know about the hash codes, but key authentication/validation definitely seems to happen through the master server in warband, that's why the furthest you can get is attempting to validate when the master server is down. You can still actually see the servers in your favorites list, so it's not simply a blockage in communication between your server browser and the master server regarding active servers.

I do agree though, if at all possible a independent master server should be established, especially since they will need it for Battlegrounds anyhow.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:22:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure they can't legally do that. Also, pretty sure they have no access to cd-keys without Warband master server.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 06:38:25 am »
I can attest after playing forgotten hope on both bf1942 and bf2 that it is a great Mod. The only mod i've ever played i felt rivaled crpg.

Offline Simon_Templar

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 246
  • cRPG Player
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZOzmKRuPk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:00:54 pm »
+1
It is a good idea. I hope they can spare the money for something like that. To finance such a thing. Or have a Concept in the back for something like that.