Author Topic: Newb questions  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Aezreal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Newb questions
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:23:57 pm »
Hey everyone I'm new to the whole M and B online and cRPG so I have a few questions for all those pros out there.

I was thinking of doing a 1h+shield character so should I go for throwing weapons too with this?
Or focus on just 1h wpf and max str.

Also how does shield speed affect my combat since I noticed really little difference betwen the 70 speed  board shield and the 100 speed kite shield.

Also how important is lets say the difference between a 103 speed sword or 98 speed.
People also keep saying what I need to care about the most is footwork. How does this work, is this why some people that arent heavy agility builds seem to hit super fast sometimes?

Also the damage calculating thing says that pierce/blunt does more damage then slash damage so should i take a military pick instead of my 1h sword?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 06:25:54 pm by Aezreal »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Newb questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:33:27 pm »
Hey everyone I'm new to the whole M and B online and cRPG so I have a few questions for all those pros out there.

I was thinking of doing a 1h+shield character so should I go for throwing weapons too with this?
Or focus on just 1h wpf and max str.

Also how does shield speed affect my combat since I noticed really little difference betwen the 70 speed  board shield and the 100 speed kite shield.

Also how important is lets say the difference between a 103 speed sword or 98 speed.
People also keep saying what I need to care about the most is footwork. How does this work, is this why some people that arent heavy agility builds seem to hit super fast sometimes?

Also the damage calculating thing says that pierce/blunt does more damage then slash damage so should i take a military pick instead of my 1h sword?

Thanks in advance.

As someone who plays a lot of 1h and shield...let me take a crack at it.

Throwing is harder nowadays and in my opinion not worth the investment.

There is a common misconception that shields affect swing speed. They do not. What the do affect is movement speed. With a slower movement speed, it's harder to react to changes around you, and you get a lower speed bonus on attacks. However, if you're doing a strength build, it doesn't affect you that much. Movement penalties affect agility builds much more.

The difference between swing speeds can be very noticeable depending on the build of the character. I see a HUGE difference between my masterworked italian sword (100) speed and my fighting axe (94 speed). One thing you have to be careful of is that the faster the weapon, the shorter it is. If you're doing a strength build, you may have trouble closing with people to use your shorter weapon.

As a 1H shielder, footwork is very important. You have to watch your positioning as it's much harder for you to get 1 hit kills, which means you can get overwhelmed quickly if you're not careful. If you're quick you can also dance in and out of axe swings, etc.

Things like military pick really shine for agi builds as they can run in and out of range very quickly. For str builds, I find the sword to be much more versatile.

I wouldn't max strength on a 1h shield build though, as you really do need some agi and shield skill.

21 str 15 agi is a pretty damn good build overall.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aezreal

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:26:42 pm »
Thanks for the tips  :lol:

was wondering if this was a good plan.
Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Strength: 26
Agility: 12
Hit points: 77
Converted: 4
Ironflesh: 8
Power Strike: 8
Shield: 4
Athletics: 4
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 4
One Handed: 141
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Wearing like Nordic Short war sword, Heavy board Shield, and some armors.

Could also go for the side arm wich does less damage and has less speed but is longer.

Dunno, ppl keep telling me to go short 1h because I'm not really one of those K/D ratio freaks.
I prefer to play siege and maps that require teamplay and objectives.

Tips about that?
thanks

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:42:13 pm »
Thanks for the tips  :lol:

was wondering if this was a good plan.
Level 31 (8 892 403 xp)

Strength: 26
Agility: 12
Hit points: 77
Converted: 4
Ironflesh: 8
Power Strike: 8
Shield: 4
Athletics: 4
One Handed: 141

Wearing like Nordic Short war sword, Heavy board Shield, and some armors.

Could also go for the side arm wich does less damage and has less speed but is longer.

Dunno, ppl keep telling me to go short 1h because I'm not really one of those K/D ratio freaks.
I prefer to play siege and maps that require teamplay and objectives.

Tips about that?
thanks

Just a few things, the extra two points in str are wasted unless you plan on going to level 32 which takes for ever. All that's granting you is a couple extra hp.

If you're planning on teamplay, that's not a great build for it. Not only are you slow, but your shield skill is kinda low. Your shield skill being low means it won't absorb attacks as well. (You'll have less shield HP). It will also have a smaller radius for sucking up arrows.

Also, the heavy board shield is very heavy which will slow you down a lot and it's easy to attack around it. Since you're already going to be slow, that's another added problem.

If you're using a shorter weapon, you'll have problems closing with people. Players with better movement can easily dart in and out of your range and circle around your sides, where you'll have no coverage from your shield.

If you're looking for more of a teamplay build, you'd probably want to try an 18-18 or even a 15-21.

Level 30

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 65
Converted: 2
Ironflesh: 6
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 6
Athletics: 6
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 148

Level 30

Strength: 15
Agility: 21
Hit points: 60
Converted: 2
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 7
Athletics: 7
One Handed: 148

Offline Aezreal

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:06 pm »
Is getting 6 shield even though I'll use a 5 shield requirement shield [huscarls] worth it?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 10:50:58 pm »
Is getting 6 shield even though I'll use a 5 shield requirement shield [huscarls] worth it?

If you want extra HP and a larger radius...yes.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:39:21 am »
Speed stat on shield is how quickly you can raise them to block, very important for a beginner.  Using a big slow shield is going to limit your ability to fight back when in 1v1 or outnumbered, however you will shine more as a support/team player with big shield.

Dont bother with throwing your first time, its too much of a distraction and will get you killed ALOT.

Use the fastest weapons you can, to give yourself an advantage while you get a better feel for the game & combat. 

Offline Aezreal

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:50:37 pm »
Thanks for all the help  :D