Author Topic: Rolling when dismounted from a horse  (Read 805 times)

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • Renown: 38
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Rolling when dismounted from a horse
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:36:22 am »
+2
Rolling when dismounted from a horse... Pretty straight forward, maybe it's been suggested before even? It makes more sense than rolling when you get knocked over, at least you have momentum when you're dismounted.

Armour which we wear also has padded Gambeson under to absorb impact hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX2Ka0utM9k#t=2m22s

These are mostly show riders who especially are preoccupied trying to hold the horse after falling so it dosen't run amock - they seem pretty able to hop up in a hurry / roll / try and control the horse... Now imagine the horse is dead / you don't give a shit if it runs amok and you're pumped with adrenaline about to have a hoard of angry guys descend on you and peel your face off to wear as a trophy? Going to sit gormless on the spot?  :rolleyes:

All up for taking damage when you fall. I even think horses without armour should take a bit of damage randomly when bumping into people etc. I think lances on horseback should have a % chance to snap at high speed too.

But as it stands any clown with a horse block weapon = kill horse one hit, second hit = char killed. As soon as you're dehorsed, unless the person standing over you is a total moron = free kill for him. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've been saved by my horse body too btw... and I've had a lot of horses die next to me. It should not be so predictable what the outcome is when a man falls after he's dehorsed.

If you can roll when you're hit by a mace the size of a house, you should be able to when knocked off a horse - Not sit there and wait for the inevitable.

Not only are those little girls, but:

1. She's trying to hold on so the horse doesn't run off.
2. The horse is not dead.
3. No one's about to hack her in half with an axe if she sits there.

You'd better believe you'd be rolling and getting your sword ready. Contrary to having your face caved in with a heavy maul and then somehow rolling around totally concious and care free. You're actually more likely to be able to think clearly and react while full of adrenaline and skidding down with a horse... you may have the occasional broken limb / broken rib (concussion / broken back if you're unlucky) .

There's a chance you'd get a leg trapped under and I'm even happy for that to be a random % based "yeah no rolling for you sucker". But right now, it's easy mode killing a downed horse to the point that every assclown is swinging so wildly for the free kill you're likely to cause a team kill just by dying.

The natural reaction of a person when falling from something moving is to keep rolling with the momentum and direct it - This limits the damage. People are quite hardy in falls and can fall out of moving cars, rolling like lunatics and walk away with bruises. It's the dead impacts and skids that cause the real damage ripping skin off and breaking bones in half when you hit trees.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:04:34 am by ZEE_BISHOP »

Offline jergu

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Rolling when dismounted from a horse
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:50 pm »
When you're tripped down to ground from your feet with lets say wooden staff you fall down with your own weight and your armors weight. that's a lot less force than when you're moving full speed with horse and your horse gets killed, you practically fly for few feets and then rocket down to the ground. Even that the armors had some kind of protection to cover you from such damages it would most likely be nowhere near enough so that you could just "walk it off".

Maybe when the horse is going on slow speed you could be able to roll around but with your heavy plate armors and such it seems pretty hard.
Such script that counts in your speed and armor weight and so on wouldn't be worth to make. atleast in my opinion.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:45:51 pm by jergu »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Man of Steel

• Earl
  • Renown: 368
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Linux, Traitor
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:46:07 pm »

That are girls....
... we are mans
For fuck sake Linux, fix your signature.

Offline jergu

• Baron
  • Renown: 137
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:53:27 pm »
+1
So that prooves that all cav players who ever fell from their horses are girls?  :D

Us men stay on longer tho. hue

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:56 pm »
+3
As if cav needs a buff.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:10 pm »
+5
As much as I want to roll every time I get dismounted, I think it would be an unfair buff to cavalry.  You should be somewhat penalized when you get dismounted, it's not supposed to be a "get out of jail free" card. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:38:03 pm »
+2
Sure, if they remove the horse's dead corpse from protecting the rider. Sometimes, it blocks the rider when it's no where near him, making hitting around the horse more annoying than it should be.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »
+1
Rolling when dismounted from a horse... Pretty straight forward, maybe it's been suggested before even? It makes more sense than rolling when you get knocked over, at least you have momentum when you're dismounted.

Ya sounds good if your fucjed in the head, Christ most people either die or break some shit while being dismounted. Christ it crippled superman

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:11 pm »
+3
Oh no, rolling is already fucking ridiculous.  Get your head smashed in so hard you hit the ground, then proceed to roll away through your enemy's legs faster than he can swing his weapon again.  If anything, slow down or shorten how far people can roll, pretty sure this is counter strike, not street fighter.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:06:12 pm »

Ya sounds good if your fucjed in the head, Christ most people either die or break some shit while being dismounted. Christ it crippled superman

All up for taking damage when you fall. I even think horses without armour should take a bit of damage randomly when bumping into people etc. I think lances on horseback should have a % chance to snap at high speed too.

But as it stands any clown with a horse block weapon = kill horse one hit, second hit = char killed. As soon as you're dehorsed, unless the person standing over you is a total moron = free kill for him. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I've been saved by my horse body too btw... and I've had a lot of horses die next to me. It should not be so predictable what the outcome is when a man falls after he's dehorsed.

If you can roll when you're hit by a mace the size of a house, you should be able to when knocked off a horse - Not sit there and wait for the inevitable.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:09:33 pm by ZEE_BISHOP »

Offline ZEE_BISHOP

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 11:13:41 pm »

Not only are those little girls, but:

1. She's trying to hold on so the horse doesn't run off.
2. The horse is not dead.
3. No one's about to hack her in half with an axe if she sits there.

You'd better believe you'd be rolling and getting your sword ready. Contrary to having your face caved in with a heavy maul and then somehow rolling around totally concious and care free. You're actually more likely to be able to think clearly and react while full of adrenaline and skidding down with a horse... you may have the occasional broken limb / broken rib (concussion / broken back if you're unlucky) .

There's a chance you'd get a leg trapped under and I'm even happy for that to be a random % based "yeah no rolling for you sucker". But right now, it's easy mode killing a downed horse to the point that every assclown is swinging so wildly for the free kill you're likely to cause a team kill just by dying.

The natural reaction of a person when falling from something moving is to keep rolling with the momentum and direct it - This limits the damage. People are quite hardy in falls and can fall out of moving cars, rolling like lunatics and walk away with bruises. It's the dead impacts and skids that cause the real damage ripping skin off and breaking bones in half when you hit trees.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:31:20 pm by ZEE_BISHOP »