Author Topic: Some thoughts about archery and xbow  (Read 481 times)

Offline ShinkuMoon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Some thoughts about archery and xbow
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:30:17 am »
First of all i want to represent my gratidue towards the team working on game balance.
Im ShinkuMoon, a player from CHN server(so excuse my poor English XD), here to offer some suggestion about missle weapons.
Actually in CHN therer far more archers and xbowmen than u guys have in Eur or US. And with the lates patches nerfing xbow, therer even more archers up on the hill. And a quite number of their builds r 10-StrongDraw-archers, which make non-sheild-infantries suffer a lot.

In fact Im a 10-SD-archer too, and i do realize its OP. So i collect some of my leagues' suggestion and start this topic.

We suggest that StrongDraw should only up to 1 plus SD requirement of bow, instead of 4. And the requirement should be modified at the same time. 4 example, a Yumi(+0) would have 6 SD requirement, suits 7 SD at most, however a Yumi (+3) would require 9 SD, and 10 SD will work on that. And xbow should be the same, require 15 str. for +0 heavy xbow while 18 4 +3 heavy xbow.
For those high-WPF archers, they dont have much attribute points in str. ,so we can solve that like this:bows like Yumi, Longbow, RusBow they require 6SD and 150WPF(can be modified, just make an instance) or 9SD without WPF requirement to use

This modification will result in nerfing the accuracy of 30-12-archers while make little difference 4 18-21-archers. I do hope to keep Strong-arm archers, 4 they did exist in history. Whatsmore this modification dont need much change in scripts as far as I know.
There may be some problems within but we hope to make some efforts to get c-RPG better.

Oh one more thing. Why do those tiny bows like Normand, Shortbows have such a high missile speed?That doesnt make any sense!

Theres another way to nerf all those rangers: cancel the compulsory of shields' requirement, so everyone may be able to carry any sheild despite the requirements of shield. However they will suffer penalties in movement, attacking speed etc. if their Shield Skill dont meet the requirement. We can make this game more realistic by doing so. U know, almost all soilders carry a shield into battlefield in history.
If u think thats too much for rangers, fine we can make every bleed upon wounded by cut or pierce, so they will definetly need a sheild then.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 08:42:48 am by ShinkuMoon »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts about archery and xbow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:57:14 am »
+1

We can make this game more realistic by doing so. U know, almost all soilders carry a shield into battlefield in history.

That's not accurate at all. Some of the most effective armies in history used long two-handed polearms, from Alexander the Great's phalanxes to the Early Modern Swiss Phalanxes. The most "evolved" form of medieval combat before firearms took over was probably around the War of the Roses era, and you'd be damned to see most people using shields then either. Plate armor made you literally invincible to all bows and almost all crossbow bolts, along with just about any melee weapon unless they were crushing your bones or brain inside the armor itself. Everyone just used big polearms like English Bills or sidearms/cavalry weapons like maces and hammers to bash the brains in of their enemies. This didn't stop until firearms became dominant, since they let poor peasants kill rich armored nobles with no training or effort.

Shields were for the poors who couldn't afford armor, and I'm not playing a videogame to roleplay a weak, frightened farmer peasant who will die or flee under the first volley of ranged.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ShinkuMoon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:21 am »
That's not accurate at all. Some of the most effective armies in history used long two-handed polearms, from Alexander the Great's phalanxes to the Early Modern Swiss Phalanxes. The most "evolved" form of medieval combat before firearms took over was probably around the War of the Roses era, and you'd be damned to see most people using shields then either. Plate armor made you literally invincible to all bows and almost all crossbow bolts, along with just about any melee weapon unless they were crushing your bones or brain inside the armor itself. Everyone just used big polearms like English Bills or sidearms/cavalry weapons like maces and hammers to bash the brains in of their enemies. This didn't stop until firearms became dominant, since they let poor peasants kill rich armored nobles with no training or effort.

Shields were for the poors who couldn't afford armor, and I'm not playing a videogame to roleplay a weak, frightened farmer peasant who will die or flee under the first volley of ranged.
Eh, i dont particularly familiar to history of arms...thx 4 informing me that:)
I know arrows didnt work on plate, but in c-RPG it works...so guess we have to solve this first before we talk about reality XD
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 09:06:59 am by ShinkuMoon »

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:31:18 am »

Aye. This is why I mentally rage at movies/shows with archers one shoting fully armored men.

I do like the idea of not requiring shield skill to use shields. Definitely agree with that. As long as shield skill is still useful, no problem with that. I should be able to pick up any weapon/shield on the battlefield as long as I have the str for it. Would just be incredibly sucky with them when trying to use a shield without shield skill or a bow with no PD and so forth.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:22:58 am »
Actually in CHN therer far more archers and xbowmen than u guys have in Eu
Impossible :mrgreen:
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline ShinkuMoon

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:10 pm »
Impossible :mrgreen:
then be our guest and take a tour in CHN server when there r 80+ players, u will get to know the real Hail of Arrows

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 12:28:28 am »
+1
...Plate armor made you literally invincible to all bows and almost all crossbow bolts...
That's not true. Late middle ages plate armors were able to protect you from arrows, but not from X-bow bolts.
X-bows were called a "devil's intrument" because they were easilly puncturing plate armors.
Archer forever :D