Author Topic: multiplayer battle maps  (Read 436 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
multiplayer battle maps
« on: February 22, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »
ive sat and spec'ed a bunch of maps on EU1 friday night and saturday afternoon and ive come to realize how big impact maps really have on balance. yes i did know that it have a great impact, but not this much!

pretty much all the maps were won 4-1 or 4-0. then map was changed to arena and PUFF 4-3 all of a sudden. i requested another Arena and i believe it was thomek who was kind enough to accept my humble request. first 3 rounds were even, but then it went apeshit, i think because byz left (they had about 15 players online).

i think that a good MP map is a map where both sides can see where the enemy is, yet designed so that it encourage tactics and strategic thinking/planning. since my english suck, i will show a couple examples:

IMO, this is a very bad MP map and adding fog makes it completely silly
(click to show/hide)

this i think is a fairly nice map, maybe the spawn locations should be tweaked a little bit, no so sure. but both sides know where enemy is and we still have lots of options in terms of tactics and strategy.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: multiplayer battle maps
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »
+1
One is flat, the other is not. The flat map is objectively better.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 01:57:44 pm »
There aren't really many maps I don't like playing tbh. The only really bad ones are when one team gets a really good tactical advantage they can use to shoot at your team before your guys get into a good position. Maps with no cover can sometimes result in a 6 minute standoff which suck

Nothing wrong with varying terrain imo - it adds some variety to the fights and tactical options for players
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:08:44 pm »
+1
The maps I dislike the most are maps with extremely large ravines separating both teams, enabling massive amounts of ranged camping either side and shooting at one another and maps that have gigantic hills on either side, enabling massive amounts of ranged camping shooting at everyone.

I can't imagine the horrors of maps such as that in EU1. I play in NA1 and its already absolutely disgusting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »
i think this is a good deathmatch map but a very bad team map

(click to show/hide)
(its the round forrest one with some rocks and a tree in the center)