Author Topic: Bow Upkeep Reduction  (Read 759 times)

Offline Templar_andiwillkillu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Bow Upkeep Reduction
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »
so far with my archer character i have noticed tht i can earn more money wearing nothing but the gothic chest plate then i can using the long bow, the bow i get charchd on average 777gold while in full plate i only get charged around 1.3k to upkeep full metal plate would cost so much more then a peice of wood leather and string, like seriously come on, the long bow has bled me dry of gold while my other characters are doing fine with all this other equiment

Offline vipere

• Marshall
  • Renown: 793
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Lunasa
Re: Bow Upkeep Reduction
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:17:10 pm »
+1
It's normal, most damaging bow = high price/upkeep

Also :

Elegant poleaxe : 15k
Flamberge  18k
Paramerion : 11k
Arbalest : 18k
Long bow 11k

and You can still use cheaper bows.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »
+2
vipere, dont forget the arrows.

Bodkins are 5k, which is additonal 354 gold upkeep while most archers use 2 of them. And if not bodkins, then Tatar Arrows which are 3k, thats 202 gold upkeep. And arrows usually break more often than anything else, so archers probably pay for at least 1 package of arrows every round.

However most archers do not use expensive armor as melee players do. At least that applies for most players, so in the end that is probably even.
As example I use mostly plated stuff as 1h/shield player and my boots alone cost 298 gold upkeep, however I do by far not pay them every round.
I think that after all I played most classes and builds for more than 2 generation each (after 29 generations on my main), any cavalry build made me lost the most gold (thanks to the expensive horse). Other than that most classes are pretty even by upkeep as far as I experienced.

But it's indeed true, I think I paid for my bows more often than for my melee weapons, but that's how it's intended to work.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 04:36:05 pm »
vipere, dont forget the arrows.

Dont forget that makes your bow do pierce dmg an ignore armor...

Its not like top tier weapons get a pierce dmg option for 5k extra upkeep.

Also, why talk about this? its not like upkeep is an issue, to the OP setup some stones an ill give u thousands of gold, i like 90% of the community have endless gold in our pockets.. Also, if you have some +3 items send me a pm, an ill help you turn your treasury into fort knox. Making gold on the market is a cake walk.

Also (Remove upkeep its pointless, an only cripple noobs like the OP, who cant afford/manage a dirt cheap setup for some reason....)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:39:20 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 04:46:12 pm »
Its not like top tier weapons get a pierce dmg option for 5k extra upkeep.

Many top tier weapons, as if not most, got an option to pierce. There are only few weapons that do not and those have more cut/blunt damage then. ;)
So in the end if you use long bow + bodkins or another top tier melee weapon, the upkeep is quite similar though the chance to pay upkeep for arrows and bows is slightly higher than for melee weapons because that's how it is intended.
However most melee players pay more for their armor because they use more expensive gear than archers do. So in the end it's all near even and nothing to discuss about as most people got enough gold anyway. And to be honest gold is indeed quite easy to get.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
+1
If the chances for breaking were the same then you might have a point, but they aren't and so you don't.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:46 pm »
+1
Miwiw it doesn't matter do you have 1x Bodkin Arrow or 2x or 3x. You only pay upkeep for one set.
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:23:21 pm »
yes, but if you got 2 same items, you got 8 % chances to repair it. So, 1 round on 10, you pay your bodkins, and if you want to play with a decent armor and a sword, it's not viable about repairs, you will always have to get a fucking cudgel and leech.

Offline HappyPhantom

• Earl
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew pew, your face!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul, Always Take the Shot.
  • Game nicks: HappyPhantom, Marys of the Sea, Ancient of Mu Mu.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:34 am »
+1
I have always found upkeep as archer way worse than other classes I've played (mostly 1h Shield).
Many archers have complained; nothing changes.
"Darklands" - The greatest game you never played: now on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/327930 | http://www.darklands.net/index.shtml

Offline Kamirane

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:59:59 am »
+1
so far with my archer character i have noticed tht i can earn more money wearing nothing but the gothic chest plate then i can using the long bow, the bow i get charchd on average 777gold while in full plate i only get charged around 1.3k to upkeep full metal plate would cost so much more then a peice of wood leather and string, like seriously come on, the long bow has bled me dry of gold while my other characters are doing fine with all this other equiment

i just can lol about your comparison. If your Gothic Plate gets damaged u need only a hammer to repair. If a Bow breaks u can just discard a piece of wood. And OOOONLY 1.3k upkeep... well its ONLY almost the double of longbow upkeep.

The upkeep system for Archers is totally fine. Also the thing that Arrows have to be repaired really often. Well u use more than one, so the higher the chance will be. If u want some money go grinding with low gear, invest in lottery or beg some guys who is quitting crpg...

(click to show/hide)