• Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Siege
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 07:09:16 pm »
wall of text

On a fully populated server, the best strategy for defense is to hold gates/ladders/walls/etc. to slow down the flow of attackers to the flag. On NA2 with ~10 defenders, the only viable strategy for defenders is for everyone to sit on the flag. Which is boring, so several defenders always choose to go solo on the walls and valor farm (I'm guilty of this whenever I'm on defense of a hard-to-defend castle).

It's one of the many reasons I thought Conquest was the ideal game mode; the "action" naturally gravitated toward the flags, so you didn't have to choose between helping your team or having fun. Of course the multiplier+valor system is a horrible match for conquest (should just be straight points->XP/gold, with bonuses for capturing/defending objectives at the end of each round).

I'm so sad Conquest got scrapped. It showed serious promise, combining the best elements of battle and siege without the worst drawbacks of either.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: Siege
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 10:01:17 pm »
+1
On a fully populated server, the best strategy for defense is to hold gates/ladders/walls/etc. to slow down the flow of attackers to the flag. On NA2 with ~10 defenders, the only viable strategy for defenders is for everyone to sit on the flag. Which is boring, so several defenders always choose to go solo on the walls and valor farm (I'm guilty of this whenever I'm on defense of a hard-to-defend castle).

It's one of the many reasons I thought Conquest was the ideal game mode; the "action" naturally gravitated toward the flags, so you didn't have to choose between helping your team or having fun. Of course the multiplier+valor system is a horrible match for conquest (should just be straight points->XP/gold, with bonuses for capturing/defending objectives at the end of each round).

I'm so sad Conquest got scrapped. It showed serious promise, combining the best elements of battle and siege without the worst drawbacks of either.

Yeah definitely feel similarly about conquest's scrapping... would also make for a great late(r)-game mode... when the mod's population has all but disappeared and people can't decide between battle or siege with there being only 1 server left. :P   So in other words... would be great to implement in NA now:mrgreen:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador