Author Topic: Suggestion to buff IF  (Read 794 times)

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion to buff IF
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:56 pm »
+5
I never use IF in my builds, just doesn't seem to make as much of a difference as an extra 1 ath + 3 agi or +5 shield or +5 riding does.

Some (probably bad) ideas:

Slow HP Regen

Stronger nudges/nudge resistance

Longer held strike drop-off time

Raw damage reduction

+3 or +4 HP instead of +2

Cav bump resistance

Lower upkeep chance for armors

Greater damage_interrupt_attack_threshold_mp

Higher fist damage
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:31:42 pm by Huscarlton_Banks »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 01:39:33 am »
You're missing the point a bit.
Gurni did compare IF to other skills, not to attributes+skill combo. In your example the 24 str 7 IF build is clearly better, but what if you have to choose between let's say 5 IF and 5 riding (or athletics (or shield (or WM)))?

Well okay then, IF is not the first priority of a lot of people, I certainly agree with that.

Nevertheless, I believe things should be changed to reduce the amount of damage someone dedicated to being a meat shield can sustain before dying. Changing the way IF works is one way to acheive that. Actually, I think this suggestion has some merit by proposing a more interesting way of doing IF instead of simply "get more HP". One idea I believe could work quite well is to nerf the HP bonus and instead make IF the governing skill of armor difficulty. That would even allow giving buffs to the heaviest armors, as they would now be at an objective disadvantage over lighter ones due to them requiring more IF to use. A little bit like why higher difficulty shields are often flat out better than lower difficulty equivalents.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 01:41:05 am »
It would make it even weaker...

Fine then elevnty%
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 10:45:36 am »
Well okay then, IF is not the first priority of a lot of people, I certainly agree with that.

Nevertheless, I believe things should be changed to reduce the amount of damage someone dedicated to being a meat shield can sustain before dying. Changing the way IF works is one way to acheive that. Actually, I think this suggestion has some merit by proposing a more interesting way of doing IF instead of simply "get more HP". One idea I believe could work quite well is to nerf the HP bonus and instead make IF the governing skill of armor difficulty. That would even allow giving buffs to the heaviest armors, as they would now be at an objective disadvantage over lighter ones due to them requiring more IF to use. A little bit like why higher difficulty shields are often flat out better than lower difficulty equivalents.

The problem we have with this game is that everyone and their nan can block melee hits like pro's now. Good hits still floor people pretty fast. When you see people tanking hits they are probably nearly glancing, don't have speed bonus (or negative speed bonus?), are random swings without any holding etc.

The game has an initial steep learning curve with manual blocking because its unique to the game, but once you get past that hurdle it feels really easy to counter melee. Thats why the game is all about ganking and going 3v1 or 2v1 because otherwise the fights can last forever. Its not really the HP and armour, its the ease that melee can be countered. No other class needs to gank in such a way with their primary attacks to take down a target like melee does. Then in addition to that we have blocking with just a simple right click with shields. The game should be more lethal from an attacking position, rather than a turtling and risk free blocking system unless you're getting ganked

We need decent HP to counter random hits and to encourage people to use stuff like holds/speed bonus/aiming at the head etc though
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:48:42 am by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:37 am »
+1
The problem we have with this game is that everyone and their nan can block melee hits like pro's now. Good hits still floor people pretty fast. When you see people tanking hits they are probably nearly glancing, don't have speed bonus (or negative speed bonus?), are random swings without any holding etc.

The game has an initial steep learning curve with manual blocking because its unique to the game, but once you get past that hurdle it feels really easy to counter melee. Thats why the game is all about ganking and going 3v1 or 2v1 because otherwise the fights can last forever. Its not really the HP and armour, its the ease that melee can be countered. No other class needs to gank in such a way with their primary attacks to take down a target like melee does. Then in addition to that we have blocking with just a simple right click with shields. The game should be more lethal from an attacking position, rather than a turtling and risk free blocking system unless you're getting ganked

We need decent HP to counter random hits and to encourage people to use stuff like holds/speed bonus/aiming at the head etc though

I beg to differ. Absolute morons with plate and STR builds tend to take more time to die than decent players (i.e. good blockers) with very light armor, just because it takes a ludicrous amount of time to hit someone a dozen times even if few of your attacks are blocked or evaded. Blocking anything more advanced than straight attacks does not seem to be particularly easy for a majority of the playerbase.

Offline Soldier_of_God

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sir_Tristan, Archerfaggotry, Sir_Edward
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 04:00:50 pm »
+1
My idea from a similar thread was for the benefit of IF to be +1 health, +1 armor. less overall health, but makes ironflesh characters harder to kill. The overall health pool would not be as high, making blunt and pierce weapons more effective, while making cut weapons and other "weak" weapons bounce off more and make the strength build more tankish against low level characters.

it never made sense to me why IF only gave health and not armor; the character is meant to be tougher to kill, and i think this sort of bonus would be the buff that IF needs. perhaps every point of IF would add a set amount of weight, say .2 or .3, so that the player would have some balance to the armor offset; player will be slower and have less wpf than other characters.  most people only invest 4-6 IF (I max mine), so the benefits of it would be good for hybrid or balanced builds, but only someone devoted to strength will really reap the full benefits.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:35 pm »
people actually use IF.? it's not even worth getting. I always transfer the points to str for more PS like IF doesnt even protect you much to take a difference besides glances from teamwounds.
I do,it is pretty decent.
PS doesn't really matters too much actually. Im using 8 ps in my main,it takes same amount of hits to kill someone with my 4ps 198 wpf stf ...

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »
HP is too hardcoded or something like that, so i dont think we will see any changes to IF. IMO its a good skill and should be left as it is, having max IF makes you quite a bit tankier, i think people underestimate the bulk you get from having decent armour and 5+IF. Having 8+ IF and plate makes you a machine. I feel that i can tank a ton more arrows if i have max IF aswell.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 06:00:41 pm »