Author Topic: Ideas for strategus Economy, Integration of Heirlooms and a use for gold  (Read 1363 times)

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
Greetings.

Edit: Please check my next post in this thread. This post is somewhat outdated.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:49:03 pm by Aemaelius »
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Obviously I agree we need some money sinks.

But I do not know if requiring gold to perform these sorts of actions is ideal. These features you suggest ought require money, such as extracting resources are essential to the game. I do not want it to be mandatory to grind crpg gold to succeed in strategus. Even if it is just to get things "turning over" as it were.

---

I would rather see something more along the lines of personal money sinks. For example buy a 5% XP bonus for 1 week for X gold, placing adverts on the crpg page to visit your town/ join your merc party/ faction etc for X gold for Y days. Allow a respec for X gold (massive X in this case) etc.

I think these sorts of money sinks are superior to the type that you suggest. This is because they will not negatively affect gameplay by necessitating money grinding in CRPG, while still having the same purpose of providing an outlet for the money.

---

Of course even better would be to just not have crpg gold connected to strategus gold at all. Then this inevitable inflation hit making gold useless wont happen nearly as easily or predictably.

---

The important thing to try and ensure whatever economy control measures are implemented is that in order to have a stable economy and to control the inflation you need to regulate the amount of money going into the economy and equalise it with the amount of money going out.

Unless of course you want Strategus to be a Weimar Republic simulation.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
I have a half naked woman as my avatar

I would be interested in seeing this happen, especially if only special materials and places and character can do this, as you said.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
boobies!

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Change tl;dr to da;dr (distracting avatar).

But some good ideas, personally I would love to see mass economy working but there does need to be a lot of work going into how money will enter continually as to give people a fair shot at getting money. I mean, you may wish to continue with the "wait in town" method that was used in the old version but I would really hate if it worked off how much you played in cRPG, that put me off to be honest.

Maybe some more ellaboration on your ideas of money sinks would be good.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
Plazek and Tennenoth have both pointed out flaws in my initial conception of the ideas.
As they both noted I thought of gold as essential to production, which would then require a grind of sorts on normal servers.

It is however obvious that grind,as it has been framed, is unwanted. That means you do not have to play regularly  to earn gold.
But we still have to define what we need gold for, in order for it to have any value as a currency. Especially when the game constantly generates more and more gold.

What we need to, then, is to define what abilities gold should have ie. what we need gold for in strategus and what requirements that put on the cRPG gold standard.

My idea is that:
- Gold should be able to work as a currency in strategus, where players can barter items and pay for mercenaries.
In order for this to work we need to counter inflation, which is currently added because of pub-grind.
- Gold should be able to pay for players equipment on regular servers.
No biggie, this is already what it is.
- Gold should be a currency with which players should be able to barter heirlooms on the heirloom market.
This is again already implented, but again risk inflation if gold is not removed from the system.

What is obvious is that:
1) We need ways to removed gold from cRPG
2) We do not want strategus to be reliant on grind and gold from cRPG.

Our only current money sink is upkeep, which is not nearly enough, and I doubt that player would want to work as mercenaries in strat just in order to buy more expensive eq in cRPG. And as a side note, more expensive equipment in cRPG is often not equal to better equipment.

So, after this wall of text I assume you can follow me when I say that:

We need a way for gold to be used in strategus, without it being a requirement nor majorily important for gameplay.
Yet it needs to hold a value large enough in order for players to accept it as payment.

My revised suggestion then continues to concern advanced item production:

- A player is able to produce heirloomed items if he: Owns the heirloom in question, pays x amount of gold for production, pays incease ressource costs and pays a special resource needed, only obtained in any rare way of several options possible (every 50th item etc. etc.).

This way gold would be essential in order to create heirloomed items and sell them, but not important for regular items.

Combined with upkeep we might be able to keep inflation to a min. but preferably another sink or two added.
Maybe just a minimum of gold required in order to own mercenaries (tickets) and for regular production.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.