Author Topic: Archery, nock THEN draw.  (Read 3118 times)

Offline justjr

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • I AM THE DRAGON KNIGHT
    • View Profile
    • Just Imports
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: (former Justus_Caesar) Windrunner_of_Chaos, Dragon_Knight_, Justino, cRazY_jusTT_of_Choad
  • IRC nick: Just
Re: Archery, nock THEN draw.
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »
This would be awesome.
+1

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »
Perhaps an inability to switch to a secondary weapon without dropping the bow or firing it?  This may be a preferable alternative to a speed reduction.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
Why the hell would a nocked arrow slow anyone down? I don't see any gameplay reason for this and most definately it's not realistic either. You can do circus tricks with a nocked arrow irl and it wont budge. +1 for this suggestion and this has already been done btw with pretty much exactly the same idea. chadz however didn't take on the idea and just went with the new animation.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 06:50:19 pm »
Well, if we consider the archer holds his bow + arrow with one hand when the arrow is nocked, then it's okay to be able to run... but, if that is the "nocked arrow" state, then the time for shooting should be increased over a "nocked arrow" state where the two hands are just ready to begin to draw, which is not the same as wielding the arrow + bow in one hand, and this second flavor of "nocked arrow" should decrease movement speed a little bit.

Although all this might seem completly reasonable and more realistic, I already see how it could turn out for balance. It would mean a great increase in the cheap child's game of going in and out covers at lightspeed, because it will become way easier to do for bad archers that don't have the timings right. I doubt it will ever be done, sadly this would require an awful amount of animation creation, and most of the few anims that were made by players are... sorry, utter crap. It seems the dev team concentrated on choosing the worst ones to add them in cRPG, with the goblin archery, the ultra jumpy insta-2hstab, the retarded 1h horseback stab, and the magic hafted blade horseback swing. Furthermore, it needs a counterpart to balance the little buff. Archery is more or less fine as it is.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »
i do archery myself and knocking is THE most time occupying thing in archery, because it's hard to do it instinctively unlike drawing an arrow. +1!
and about that arrow selecting, you don't really do that and surtainly not when all arrows in your quiver are the same like in crpg.

good thinking!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »
The archer does not need to slow down, what needs to be added to the suggestion is that the arrow is dropped if the archer jumps (removing this stupid jump-shooting, ever tried that with a bow irl?, + it's just annoying gameplay-wise)

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 11:21:42 pm »
i do archery myself and knocking is THE most time occupying thing in archery, because it's hard to do it instinctively unlike drawing an arrow. +1!
and about that arrow selecting, you don't really do that and surtainly not when all arrows in your quiver are the same like in crpg.

good thinking!

Nocking doesn't take tha tlong. I'd say about 3/5ths of total time is nocking and 2/5ths drawing. Also trained archers have no difficulty to do it instinctively. They wont even have to take their eyes of the target.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 12:36:54 am »
+1 Great idea.  Would make archer animation less unrealistic and lame.  Really... you decide to not release the arrow and you have to pick a whole new arrow from your quiver to reaim?
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 01:45:09 am »
This is a cool idea! Having to draw a new arrow every time you cancel a shot has always annoyed me. Some might complain that this somehow takes something away from crossbows, but I think it's a good idea that makes sense.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 07:22:28 am »
Nocking doesn't take tha tlong. I'd say about 3/5ths of total time is nocking and 2/5ths drawing. Also trained archers have no difficulty to do it instinctively. They wont even have to take their eyes of the target.
you can easely learn to do it instinctively but still it takes more time than anything else, like i said.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 07:42:39 am »
I'm for this.
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:27 am »
I am against it. Archers would just do this all the time: hide nock shoot hide knock shoot hide nock shoot.
They would even more stay on rooftops, or places they are hard to see hard to hit.

Give those idea 3 days on server and you will see how annoying archers would get with that change.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »
I am against it. Archers would just do this all the time: hide nock shoot hide knock shoot hide nock shoot.
They would even more stay on rooftops, or places they are hard to see hard to hit.

Give those idea 3 days on server and you will see how annoying archers would get with that change.

Humm, we're already doing that anyway. What will be the difference ? And the aim animation still exists.
I wouldn't mind if (considering nocking = 3/5th and aiming = 2/5th) the aiming animation was longered to 3/5th, if the "nock only" possibility existed.
It's a good idea, and arrow volleys should be interesting.^^
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;