Author Topic: quick Q  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
quick Q
« on: September 10, 2013, 11:15:29 pm »
gimme the names of saracen/arabian style polearms, and state whether its 2d or 4d

thanks in advance
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: quick Q
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 11:20:40 pm »
Just my guesses:

Staff
Scythe
Shortened Spear
Q. Staff
Bamboo Spear
Spear
Iron Staff
Light Lance
Lance
Awlpike (maybe long awlpike too)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:52:32 am »
Just my guesses:

Staff
Scythe
Shortened Spear
Q. Staff
Bamboo Spear
Spear
Iron Staff
Light Lance
Lance
Awlpike (maybe long awlpike too)

Not sure about awlpikes , also Hafted Blades , Long Hafted Knobbed Mace, Long Hafted Spiked Mace , Long Voulge , LB and GLB , double sided lance,ashwood pike, LA, LWA , War Spear i think so :D

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 07:55:20 pm »
I always thought Glaive looked pretty Arabian, don't know about historical context. Every cultured relied on spears at some point in their military history, so that's a safe bet too.

Can't beat the Dadao for looking like a badass Arabian warrior though.

• King
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 08:50:11 pm »
I always thought Glaive looked pretty Arabian, don't know about historical context. Every cultured relied on spears at some point in their military history, so that's a safe bet too.

Can't beat the Dadao for looking like a badass Arabian warrior though.

I doubt that Arabians, Saracens or Turks ever used 2h swords, i think Dadao and Miaodao re Chinese stuff, Arabians had their big ass 1h swords shields, bows and plenty of different polearms, turks had mostly shields,scimitars,picks,morningstars. I may be wrong tho

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 09:19:10 pm »
I doubt that Arabians, Saracens or Turks ever used 2h swords, i think Dadao and Miaodao re Chinese stuff, Arabians had their big ass 1h swords shields, bows and plenty of different polearms, turks had mostly shields,scimitars,picks,morningstars. I may be wrong tho

Berbers used huge ass 2h scimitars, and the blade shape looks almost just like the Dadao:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0WyffCK_AqoC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=%22two-handed+scimitar%22+in+history&source=bl&ots=ug02pLdM0_&sig=SwDVlxnhjOP1AD3sjy8fWG0-AJ4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XhMyUvmyLoHY2wWp7IDwAQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22two-handed%20scimitar%22%20in%20history&f=false

EDIT-Yes, I know I just linked to a COLORING book, but looks legit...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:30:26 pm by Phew »

• King
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 10:43:15 pm »
Berbers used huge ass 2h scimitars, and the blade shape looks almost just like the Dadao:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0WyffCK_AqoC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=%22two-handed+scimitar%22+in+history&source=bl&ots=ug02pLdM0_&sig=SwDVlxnhjOP1AD3sjy8fWG0-AJ4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=XhMyUvmyLoHY2wWp7IDwAQ&ved=0CEgQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=%22two-handed%20scimitar%22%20in%20history&f=false

EDIT-Yes, I know I just linked to a COLORING book, but looks legit...

If Dadao is this scimitar mentioned in the book , its length had to be like 70-80 , but its 115.

Ingame scimitars are Russian-like and mostly used by Vaegirs in native, as you know. This 2h scimitar is like, the Alik'r Scimitar from Skyrim , can be used by both hands i think...

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:49:53 am »
Dadao and Miaodao are Chinese swords but can be used here in an Arabaian theme because of the curved blade which gives it that Scimitarish look.

About the polearms I don't know... not really Arabian style, back in Saracens I used to play in the Pijama with turban and GLB, looked quite boss  :mrgreen:

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 05:22:36 am »
Awlpikes are more European.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 04:08:26 pm »
Awlpikes are more European.

Yes they certainly are, but I saw pics of Arabs that had spears with long pointy metal tips similar to an awlpike, so that's why I included it.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 09:22:53 pm »
when you think about it, any weapon can be seen as arabian style, even the Bec or poleaxes.
all cultures used a wide variation of weapons, there was no "Standerd" except in the most disiplined/traditional/advanced/wealthy armies (IE anicent rome, and even then, there was some variation) its safe to say that the saracens/arabians used some form of poleaxes, long mauls, awlpikes and spears

add to the fact that, besides the most isolated cultures, people interacted with each other, they traded, and mingled and fought, those cultures clash, and ideas or styles are mixed togther, especially in the middle east, with it being the center of trade and the melting pot of the world at the time.

so when you think about it, im willingly to bet there were plenty of arabs carrying german poleaxe's. it might not have been called a german poleaxe, but it was shaped like one and functioned like one
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

• King
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 10:59:40 pm »
when you think about it, any weapon can be seen as arabian style, even the Bec or poleaxes.
all cultures used a wide variation of weapons, there was no "Standerd" except in the most disiplined/traditional/advanced/wealthy armies (IE anicent rome, and even then, there was some variation) its safe to say that the saracens/arabians used some form of poleaxes, long mauls, awlpikes and spears

add to the fact that, besides the most isolated cultures, people interacted with each other, they traded, and mingled and fought, those cultures clash, and ideas or styles are mixed togther, especially in the middle east, with it being the center of trade and the melting pot of the world at the time.

so when you think about it, im willingly to bet there were plenty of arabs carrying german poleaxe's. it might not have been called a german poleaxe, but it was shaped like one and functioned like one

Well this is right but it belonged to a different culture.I think only exception is; any of Arabians used an European straight sword because of its cross shape , nor an European used a Turkish crescent shaped scimitar , as long as it is usable, they brought everything to battle.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 12:17:20 pm »
and looted
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D