Author Topic: So your bored and you want to build a Hoplite  (Read 1166 times)

Offline TheGriffin88

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phalanx
  • Game nicks: Phalanx_Griffin
  • IRC nick: Phalanx_Griffin
So your bored and you want to build a Hoplite
« on: May 03, 2011, 05:50:52 pm »
This is a pretty underused class, but starting to see a lot more people hopping about with their spear and shield.

So here is a little build, utilising some cool little weapons:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)
Strength: 12
Agility: 24
Hit points: 49
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 1
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 8
Athletics: 8
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 8
One Handed: 113
Two Handed: 1
Polearm: 150
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

Equiptment:

The essentials:
Weapon:  Red Tassle  (97 spd 27 pierce)     War spear (95 spd - 28 pierce)      Weight max: 1.5
Awlpike is technically better but it looks less hopliteish.

Shield: Elite Cav shield / Heavy round shield.    Its Speed (100) vs More armour here.  If you prefer the speed elite cav, if you want more HP heavy round.      (Weight max: 7.5 for heavy round)   [The shield has to be round to look like a hoplite but feel free to try out the better knightly heater with its crazy speed and new armour rating).

Secondary weapon:  Broad Short Sword (102 speed / 27 cut / 25 pierece / 85 length)  this little beauty is for dispatching enemies when you find yourself in a situaton that the one attack your spear has wont cut it (1v1s for example, although waiting for them to try and attack and poking from out of range is a favourite, or blocking and then trying to back stab)      (weight 1.0)

Armour:  The idea here is to keep weight very low (or you can go opposite if you dont mind losing speed and dodging ability and go heavier (ie Sarranid guard armour)

my setup:
Nord nobleman armur (1)
Khegit cavalry helm (1.8 weight, nice red tassle on top to match the spear :D)
Leather gloves (0)
Leather boots (0.8)

Total weight: 13.6
There is no truth only a series of interpretations.

Offline AlbaTiger

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Maybes aye maybes naw. Tiger that runs wi Wolves
    • View Profile
Re: So your bored and you want to build a Hoplite
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:23 pm »
Always find Hoplite threads interesting so I'll give this one a bump even though its a week old.

With the slots coming in there has been a bit of an increase of spear users, especially amongst the clans, to give some solid anti-cav.

Hoplite is kind of a natural variant build to have when you want to be a spear/pike user but also have some thing close but a little different you can use for a change.

I'm getting tempted to run a very heavily armoured pikeman in my next generation, but I do find it very easy to get bored of builds if I can't mess about with them a bit, so aiming for Hoplite, and maybe even putting in a little bit of throwing too sounds like it could suit me.

I know spreading out a bit like that will make me a tad less effective than a pure piker or hoplite  but I kinda need that little bit of flexibility to keep me interested in a build.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 02:05:08 pm by AlbaTiger »