Author Topic: Upkeep break-even Point  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tybal, Rafesan
  • IRC nick: Tybal
Upkeep break-even Point
« on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:16 pm »
+3
Hey,

ive been playing crpg for about a week and am greatly enjoying this great mod.

now as the topic says i was wondering since the upkeed chance is so random i have a hard time judging this and wanted to ask some of the more experienced players out there: what is the point at which you really start to lose money in terms of upkeep ? i usually run around in about 1k upkeed a number i read somewhere and make a hefty plus but before i buy anything bigger i wanted to know when i have to expect losing money.

thx & regards

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
Re: Upkeep break-even Point
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 05:17:23 pm »
+2
It depends slightly on what modes you play ( siege, battle, DTV ), but I would recommend keeping it under 28.000.

If anyone knows a precise number - please correct me :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »
+1
Maintenance

There's a chance every minute for items you're wearing to break up resulting in them getting reduced stats until they are repaired. By default items will automatically be repaired when you have enough money. On average player can hold gear worth of roughly 50,000 and break even (Source: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8400.0.html). This is a long term average though, and you should have a considerable reserve of money before trying to run around in gear of that price.

For weaponry wpf dictates the breaking chance while other items have a static chance which supposedly is somewhat higher for arrows and bolts. For melee weapons highest melee skill is chosen, so for example using a long spear with 1 polearm wpf while having 120 wpf in two handed uses the 120 wpf for breaking. For ranged this kind of mechanic isn't in effect, and bow breaking chance in determined by archery wpf etc.
Tears of Destiny at http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9245.0.html says that:
1wpf is about 11% [chance of breaking] where as 140 is 2.5% [chance of breaking] so it does make a difference.

Check out the rest of the game mechanic megathread.. some very useful info in there

Edit- It also depends on your class. Ranged have upkeep almost every round no matter what, so I find it's best to use lower upkeep items. You will pay most rounds but slowly make money. Melee upkeep is more random so you can get away with higher upkeep items.. very expensive when something does break and you can loose a lot of money very quickly.. but when you get luckly and don't have upkeep for a few rounds at x5 multi you make money very quickly.

As you're new to cRPG I would advise using low upkeep gear until you have about 10k gold after you have bought some med-tier items. Then switch up to the mid-tier and slowly buy more expensive items if you want them.

If you tell us your class and the type of weapons/armor you like I'm sure someone will be able to tell you want a good combo is
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:43:31 pm by Vermilion »

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 05:51:00 pm »
+2
Any non-range = melee and cav should break even with ~35k - 40k overall equipment cost. With good valor whoring you might be able to earn a bit money with that.

I'd recommend trying to use equipment that costs ~30k. That way you'll eventually make gold.

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 06:14:21 pm »
+3
thx for the fast answers, this forum sure is active! i read through the game mechanics thread and also the other thread that was linked from there and found the information super helpful, thx a lot.

now i am playing a 2h/archer hybrid with the build coming from the solid build threads. its an 18/18 build with over 140 archery and 50 2h skill. so far for armor i ve been going really light to not go over that 11kg no wpf loss limit. usually thats just a mail shirt with fur, nasal helmet and leather gloves plus rus cavalry boots. however with weapons upkeed i had my share of problems. ive been using the nomad bow with tartar arrows to cut costs but that really gimps my dmg out. as weapon i was only using a maul since its super cheap and has that knockout potential. from what i read here i suppose the horn bow with tartar arrows should be affordables ? as 2h weapons go is an upgrade advisable ? i thought about getting the longsword...

also i am sitting on 70k cash right now (yeah ive been playing nonstop last week ;) )

Offline Vermilion

• Count
  • Renown: 208
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vermilion
  • IRC nick: Vermilion
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
dam sounds like you have been playing a lot!

With that armor, maul, horn bow and tartar arrows you should make money.

With only 50wpf the longsword may start costing you a bit.. (if you can maintain x3 or above for most of your play time you should be fine).

Edit - If your build allows it increase your 2h wpf.. longsword is 2 slots so you can only take 1 set of arrows.. So a lot of your play will be melee (presuming you have, or will have, 6 weapon master you should be able to get 86 wpf 2h at level 30) I think this will be worth it for the melee and the upkeep.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:34:20 pm by Vermilion »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 06:53:31 pm »
Also the break chance of equipment (that isn't a weapon) is about 4% (it's a super duper formula) for every tick in the round (not including the 6:30 tick).  If you get hit with upkeep you will have to pay 7% of the total cost of the item.

But that's 4% over infinity, so you can get hit with upkeep on the same item round after round.  I also think (but am not sure) that having a higher multiplier is going to lower your chances of paying upkeep (at least it seems like it to me and my 1000s of hours in game)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 07:03:16 pm »
You can get a bastard sword instead of a longsword and save some cash there. A tad weaker and shorter, but faster and similar to the longsword and the heavy bastard sword. The maul with a hybrid build and 50 2h wpf doesn't sound too easy. Other options are goedendag, mace, military sickle and fighting axe. The last two are 1h weapons that can be used as a two-hander for increased damage, and they only take one slot. Hope you find something that fits.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Tybal

• Peasant
  • I live... again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 12:04:26 pm »
ah the info on the military sickle and the fighting axe is really cool, ill definitely check that out

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 01:48:02 pm »
+1
Pick goedendag if you want to use a cheap yet effective 2hander, that is also more unique than the long- and bastard swords. It is as long as a greatsword, got piercing lolstab and knockdown and blunt damage. You also get to yell 'Good Day! (Goeden Dag!)' every time you known someone over the head with it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 01:59:58 pm by Angantyr »