Author Topic: Random Balance Suggestions  (Read 817 times)

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Random Balance Suggestions
« on: August 16, 2013, 07:24:23 am »
Hunting crossbow:  So many people will use 2h/polearm melee builds and then carry a hunting xbow.  This not only gives them the ability to sit back and pick apart other players, they then can engage those same players in melee giving them the ability to play on both fronts.  I understand that xbows can already do this for the most part however, all the other xbows are 2 slots, and then encourages the use of smaller, less damaging weapons that are 0 slot. 

Essentially what im trying to suggest is the hunting crossbow needing to be 2 slots as well to get away from all these players being able to range and melee.  And for anyone wanting to dispute it, when loomed with bolts this weapon has incredible knockdown power for its portability and price.

War Spear Hoplites:Sudden influx of a build that before wasn't truly feasible, is great as it provides more combat variety, however now we have the this trifecta of a build that i perceive to be almost overpowering caused by a single weapon.  The war spear is a incredible polearm for its price(in comparison to a 2h sword), length, and speed.  We can all acknowledge the war spear as an effective killing machine for polearm users.  Now once paired with a shield, this is able to stop cavalry, all ranged attacks, hoplite efficiently, and then drop shield and fight as well as any 2h can.  Might as well allow them to use the german poleaxe at this point.

My suggestion includes making a great deal of the polearms 3 slots to avoid seeing this overpowering class occur as well as balance things like the above suggestion.  Besides that from a "historical" standpoint if u wanna go there, i dont believe soldiers could effectively put a 6 ft pole on their back and retrieve it hastily enough to fight with it anyway, suggestin we should probably just drop it on the ground.

Two handed archery:  Kind of annoying and silly at the same time, you allow players to have access to devastating ranged weapons, then also allow them to carry a mace with over 30 blunt damage, or a langes messer with great 2h stats, but thats just the 1 slot weapons, you also allow them to carry the whole damn list of 2h weapons while using a short bow.  I get the short bow isnt too effective however its the point that anyone who isnt wearing plate can and will be harmed by these weapons, and then still be close in and melee effectively. 

The suggestion here was to make the short bow 2 slot, and idk what to do with all the weapons that allow 2h mode that are 1 slot.

Lance Cavalry: How is Lance cav "anti-archer/infantry" if archers can stand next to you and you cant reach them with the lance.  Secondly any 1h infantry will just sidestep and you completely miss them and are open to a hit which almost always kills you, or does so much damage you are left black barred and ready to die if a passing gust of wind hits you. 

Suggestion, open up the lancer nerf just a bit, and give us back some of the angles, even if it is just slight.  Im not asking for native controls, but somethingto get rid of the sidestep lolstab death.

1h Stab:  Everyone is pretty much aware it is incredible, i believe it is fine, but it is incredibly quick, and does massive damage.

Suggestion, idk not a clue. nerf it somehow.

Eastern horse: Suggestion, buff it, it sucks.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:40:44 am by AntiBlitz »

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Re: Random Balance Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:31:23 am »
Hunting crossbow:  So many people will use 2h/polearm melee builds and then carry a hunting xbow.  This not only gives them the ability to sit back and pick apart other players, they then can engage those same players in melee giving them the ability to play on both fronts.  I understand that xbows can already do this for the most part however, all the other xbows are 2 slots, and then encourages the use of smaller, less damaging weapons that are 0 slot. 

Essentially what im trying to suggest is the hunting crossbow needing to be 2 slots as well to get away from all these players being able to range and melee.  And for anyone wanting to dispute it, when loomed with bolts this weapon has incredible knockdown power for its portability and price.

No to this one. Let the melee-based builds sit back and watch their team fail in the main melee encounter because they're too busy sitting back landing one weak hit every three shots or so. The crossbow is already inaccurate. Combine that with 1 wpf and that bolt can go anywhere. If it truly becomes a problem, perhaps a reduction in accuracy of the hunting crossbow would be called for, but at the moment I don't see the need for a nerf.

War Spear Hoplites:Sudden influx of a build that before wasn't truly feasible, is great as it provides more combat variety, however now we have the this trifecta of a build that i perceive to be almost overpowering caused by a single weapon.  The war spear is a incredible polearm for its price(in comparison to a 2h sword), length, and speed.  We can all acknowledge the war spear as an effective killing machine for polearm users.  Now once paired with a shield, this is able to stop cavalry, all ranged attacks, hoplite efficiently, and then drop shield and fight as well as any 2h can.  Might as well allow them to use the german poleaxe at this point.

My suggestion includes making a great deal of the polearms 3 slots to avoid seeing this overpowering class occur as well as balance things like the above suggestion.  Besides that from a "historical" standpoint if u wanna go there, i dont believe soldiers could effectively put a 6 ft pole on their back and retrieve it hastily enough to fight with it anyway, suggestin we should probably just drop it on the ground.

In my opinion, the war spear is the crown jewel of the polearms section. It is very versatile and can be used for everything. However, compare it to other polearms, particularly in the swing damage section, and you'll see it is far from incredible. Additionally, the war spear is actually not as long as it seems. The war spear has 150 length. When a longsword is thrusted, it reaches 171 length at its apex. A danish greatsword -- which has only 1 less pierce damage than a war spear -- reaches 189 length. Even when a war spear is thrusted with shield in one hand, it can only thrust for a maximum reach of 163 length; still less than the longsword's.

Some polearms should be three slots. The poleaxes, for example. I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing cavalry with lance in hand draw poleaxes off of their backs when their horse dies. Poleaxes are meant to be shock infantry weapons. The war spear, though? Spears can easily be held on one's back. Take the Roman pilum for example. This throwing spear was nearly 7 feet tall and each Roman soldier would carry two of them, a sword, and a shield.

Two handed archery:  Kind of annoying and silly at the same time, you allow players to have access to devastating ranged weapons, then also allow them to carry a mace with over 30 blunt damage, or a langes messer with great 2h stats, but thats just the 1 slot weapons, you also allow them to carry the whole damn list of 2h weapons while using a short bow.  I get the short bow isnt too effective however its the point that anyone who isnt wearing plate can and will be harmed by these weapons, and then still be close in and melee effectively. 

The suggestion here was to make the short bow 2 slot, and idk what to do with all the weapons that allow 2h mode that are 1 slot.

Archery has already been FUBAR. Archers can afford to dedicate points into power strike and 2h wpf but they're sacrificing power and accuracy with their bows. Let them have two-handers and let them have their one slot bows. The most recent change to archery already caused enough hate and that wasn't even a nerf.

Lance Cavalry: How is Lance cav "anti-archer/infantry" if archers can stand next to you and you cant reach them with the lance.  Secondly any 1h infantry will just sidestep and you completely miss them and are open to a hit which almost always kills you, or does so much damage you are left black barred and ready to die if a passing gust of wind hits you. 

Suggestion, open up the lancer nerf just a bit, and give us back some of the angles, even if it is just slight.  Im not asking for native controls, but somethingto get rid of the sidestep lolstab death.

I can agree with this one. Lancer cav really has taken a hit from the devs. It has gotten to the point that any infantryman worth his salt can easily avoid you and even take you out. Lancers are meant to be shock-charge, not backstabbers who can only take out players occupied in melee.

1h Stab:  Everyone is pretty much aware it is incredible, i believe it is fine, but it is incredibly quick, and does massive damage.

Suggestion, idk not a clue. nerf it somehow.

No. Finally one-handers are challenging two-handers for the most powerful thrust, a title that polearms really should have. We're getting closer.

Eastern horse: Suggestion, buff it, it sucks.

I can wholly agree with this one, that horse is a piece of shit.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:47 am »
+6
fyi this is a "nerf everything that counters cav" thread posted by a cav player

edit: as a cav player myself, buff cav
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:44 am »
+6
Very fair and sensible suggestions. How about this? Make every bow/crossbow 3 slot and every arrow/bolt 2 slot. Furthermore every shield should be 4 slot(when used on foot). Hoplites/pikemen should only be able to rear horses if they have 3 hoplite/pike players standing shoulder to shoulder at the right and 3 at the left. For the sake of realism. Last but not least horsemen should get an AoE knockdown affecting footmen when using the alt+j rear with a radius of (5+riding_skill)m.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:54:43 pm »
Nerf

Nerf

Nerf

Buff cav lancer

Nerf

Buff eastern horse

Do you happen to be cav?
Do you happen to be lancer cav?
Do you happen to be lancer cav that wants to use/ uses the eastern horse?

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 04:28:52 pm »

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:10 pm »
+1
im just attempting to make sensible suggestions that i thought were problems.  Thats all, and yes i do see hunting crossbows being a problem.  your allowing someone with incredible melee capability to also be great from afar, and to say it is weak? the damn thing shoots like a medieval machine gun.

We have players like Aldogulas(sorry for misspelling) who use a German poleaxe, or half of the Chaos guys using German/Danish longswords who can sit back and pick you apart, and when you close on them youro left fighting a handsdown melee build.  Ask any of them they do indeed have points in crossbow, they arent playing with 1 wpf.

What im getting at with archery and the 2h is that they arent meant to be melee fighters yet we grant them access to powerful melee weapons.  Just yesterday i watched a archer have a morningstar and a bow, he shot my horse down and then continued engaging and killing people in melee.  idk what his build was , however he had no problem hitting my horse.

I really am just trying to give suggestions, but whenever you want to nerf something you are always met with tons of resistance from the people who play these builds.  Atleast Palurgee, who is a troll, added his thought to the suggestion rather then adding the shit you all did.

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 04:59:21 pm »
Very fair and sensible suggestions. How about this? Make every bow/crossbow 3 slot and every arrow/bolt 2 slot. Furthermore every shield should be 4 slot(when used on foot). Hoplites/pikemen should only be able to rear horses if they have 3 hoplite/pike players standing shoulder to shoulder at the right and 3 at the left. For the sake of realism. Last but not least horsemen should get an AoE knockdown affecting footmen when using the alt+j rear with a radius of (5+riding_skill)m.

I like how paul just gives a shit about being polite.
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
+1
I like how paul just gives a shit about being polite.

It's great isnt it how they ask for feedback and suggestions and then they dont give a fuck about what you say and rather insult you instead.