Author Topic: WPF-blocking speed + high ping  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: WPF-blocking speed + high ping
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 10:38:18 pm »
+1
I've probably been  the player on eu playing most with the pike and I've also played a lot with the long spear and a bit with mauls. I feel the blocking is rather sluggish with slow weapons, but it also might be because I get double-attacked all the time, and that gives a placebo effect. The blocking feels very fast with an elite scimitar, and 1h weapons in general, but I rarely get double-attacked with those weapons. :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:28:20 am by Gurnisson »
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 12:21:45 am »
mh, I just always blame my psycho self when I fail even more blocks with slower weapons...

Maybe pike sometimes collides with objects or something? Shields are definitely different, like phew said there seems to be a small cooldown after releasing one block before you can do another.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 01:24:50 am »
+2
The slower the weapon the more you'll notice the window between blocking and attacking. It's your mind playing tricks. If you were focusing on just blocking, you'd see there isn't really a notable difference. This comes from someone who has quite a lot of hours in this game.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:36 pm »
From playing extensively with the slowest blockable weapon in the game, the pike, I can tell you with little doubt that weapon speed does influence your blocking speed. Blocking with a pike feels sluggish and awkward, like you have to work for your blocks. Blocking with a 100 speed weapon seems instant and feels much better. It's sort of less 'snappy' with a pike if I had to describe it. I often block and backpedal my way out of sticky situations with a pike and I actually miss blocks sometimes, while I can't say I miss much blocks when focusing on defending with other weapons. Not sure about the exact mechanics behind it, but quite sure there is something.

As for wpf, I am not sure, but I'd say it does not influence your blocking speed. I have duelled with one handed weapons without wpf enough and I always felt like blocking was as easy as it normally is.

Pike blocks slower because it is unbalanced, not necessarily it has lower weapon speed.

I do not know if WPF affects blocking speed but unbalanced stat sure does.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39:38 pm »
+2
When blocking repeatedly though the unbalanced trait has no effects right? Unbalanced only affects the ability to cancel attacks right? I have noticed slow blocking besides those situations.