Author Topic: Falling down from horse  (Read 1239 times)

Offline Haragh

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Napauttaja_von_Perkele
Falling down from horse
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »
How can one get fast up when falling down from horse?
I have seen guys who instantly jump up and block everything around them.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
Re: Falling down from horse
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:58:06 pm »
there isnt a way that i know of - perhaps you got a bit of lag?

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 05:25:19 pm »
As far as I know it takes the same amount of time, it's just that a combination of lag and the fact that you can block while standing up makes it seem very strange, the animation especially.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:13:51 pm »
There is no trick. It just takes a few seconds. But if you remember that you can already block when the animation is still getting up, that might help a bit.

I'm not sure if it helps, but i wait with blocking for maybe two seconds when horse dies. Basicly, falling from the horse, i only press block at the last moment. I don't think it works when you keep blocking pressed when going down. You need to reblock a second or two into the 'getting up' animation.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:33:39 pm »
I have seen weird animations too: some riders on the ground, suddenly jumping several meters away backward (making a ninja-style air moonwalk), some blocking after my “grand final” overhead attack that should have crushed them into the ground. Once a guy hit me with a polearm as soon as he stood up but I did not see the attack being chambered first. Some other times, people seems to take ages to stand on their feet... No clue why there is a difference sometimes.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:39:46 pm »
Ah the warping or teleporting when a horse goes down is lag related. I see it too from time to time.

I think when that happens something gets out of sync between your client, the server and the client of the just downed rider. To me it looks like server and the client of the rider temporarily disagree on where exactly the rider went down, thus the weird teleport when stuff gets back to sync. But i'm just guessing ofcourse.

Old bug, been there as long as i play cRPG. Doesn't happen too often for me.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 10:42:57 pm »
Ah the warping or teleporting when a horse goes down is lag related. I see it too from time to time.

I think when that happens something gets out of sync between your client, the server and the client of the just downed rider. To me it looks like server and the client of the rider temporarily disagree on where exactly the rider went down, thus the weird teleport when stuff gets back to sync. But i'm just guessing ofcourse.

Old bug, been there as long as i play cRPG. Doesn't happen too often for me.

Happens more with fast horses on laggy servers, so yes it's an old and (IMO) funny bug. About the speed when you get up, I allways had the impression it can vary. Some people seem to be up in a flash, while others really like the dust. Maybe there's a secret like jumping or not blocking if not needed.