Author Topic: Loving that every bow is now useable  (Read 396 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
Loving that every bow is now useable
« on: June 30, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »
I have one Archer alt and love the changes.

With the exception of one small error with "bow" damage the changes are nice. I have to say maybe accuracy is a little high but otherwise great work.

Being able to help the team with unloomed equipment is great

Haven't noticed much difference on my melee char. I guess archers don't bother shooting at someone with 8 ath that won't stand still.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 03:19:35 pm by owens »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
Re: Loving that every bow is now useable
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »
Shouldn't missile speed be linked to damage?
It's a bit weird it is now the other way around, kind of.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »
Now I will use THE Bow since it has good damage and still retains good speed. It also looks really cool with final_boss' pack! I hope they don't nerf it.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 05:48:59 pm »
+1
Shouldn't missile speed be linked to damage?
It's a bit weird it is now the other way around, kind of.
Not really. The long bow does more damage because its able to shoot heavier arrows. Unfortunately we can't really implement a 1:1 system of how things work irl. So instead we simulated composite bows shooting lighter arrows by increasing the projectile speed and having lower damage.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »
+1
Not really. The long bow does more damage because its able to shoot heavier arrows. Unfortunately we can't really implement a 1:1 system of how things work irl. So instead we simulated composite bows shooting lighter arrows by increasing the projectile speed and having lower damage.

I really like the fact that bows now expetience the same stat variaty as melee weapons instead of a linear increase of damage and missile speed, paired with a linear decrease of speed rating. From a balance point of view it makes total sense that the bow with the slowest missile speed ( and therefore needs the most leading and anticipating ) gets the most damage, although it looks a bit weird on paper I gotta say :D

Which leads me to a suggestion:
To enhance bow variaty even more, would it be possible to give bows a "base missile speed" or "acceleration" value which calculates the missile speed after taking the missile weight into account ?

If you then add a "light" and "heavy" version of arrows / bolts, or even a completely new "missile weight" stat for projectiles, it would look something like this:

bodkin arrows = 2 pierce

light bodkin arrows = 0 pierce , + 3 missile speed

heavy bodkin arrows = 4 pierce , - 3 missile speed

The actual numbers are pure speculation of course and just serve to clarify the example.

Sure, you could say "why should archery get this much customization. Melee classes have to switch their weapons in order to fit the right situation." but then again 1h has 80 items, 2h has 38 items and pole has 52 items, while there are just 8 bows and 4 arrow types to choose from.

I have no clue how hard it would be to implement this and I can imagine, since this is not implemented in the standard warband code its one of those "hardcoded" things but I thought I'd drop this in here anyway.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »
I really like the fact that bows now expetience the same stat variaty as melee weapons instead of a linear increase of damage and missile speed, paired with a linear decrease of speed rating. From a balance point of view it makes total sense that the bow with the slowest missile speed ( and therefore needs the most leading and anticipating ) gets the most damage, although it looks a bit weird on paper I gotta say :D

Which leads me to a suggestion:
To enhance bow variaty even more, would it be possible to give bows a "base missile speed" or "acceleration" value which calculates the missile speed after taking the missile weight into account ?

If you then add a "light" and "heavy" version of arrows / bolts, or even a completely new "missile weight" stat for projectiles, it would look something like this:

bodkin arrows = 2 pierce

light bodkin arrows = 0 pierce , + 3 missile speed

heavy bodkin arrows = 4 pierce , - 3 missile speed

The actual numbers are pure speculation of course and just serve to clarify the example.

Sure, you could say "why should archery get this much customization. Melee classes have to switch their weapons in order to fit the right situation." but then again 1h has 80 items, 2h has 38 items and pole has 52 items, while there are just 8 bows and 4 arrow types to choose from.

I have no clue how hard it would be to implement this and I can imagine, since this is not implemented in the standard warband code its one of those "hardcoded" things but I thought I'd drop this in here anyway.
Thought about that, and I think something along those lines would be awesome to have. I'm not a developer though(I don't code or know much of anything about the warband module system), so it would take cmp's magic to get something like that working.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character