Poll

Should cRPG go "WSE2 only"?

No
34 (50%)
Yes
34 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: July 22, 2013, 06:57:00 pm

Author Topic: WSE 2 only, the coming switch (poll)  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: WSE 2 only, the coming switch (poll)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2013, 11:43:09 pm »
considering that much of the community is from third / second world countries like Europe???

:D
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:10 am »
3 reasons as far as I can tell (in no particular order):
1) old/weak PC - used to run Warband in DX7 mode
2) misconfiguration - "woah new buttons and sliders... better turn them on and all the way up. wtf my game runs worse than before for no reason wtf is this shit noob devs"
3) bugs - mostly rubberbanding/stuttering issues. Some are regressions, some others are caused by new options (not always easy to tell - see point 2).

1) Okay, I hadn't considered dx7 vs dx9. So that's a legitimate compatibility issue with wse2 itself then? I wonder if the performance improvements it offers are enough to compensate for older weaker machines to be able to run in dx9 and have it work, even if on lower graphics settings. Or is it just impossible for certain systems to set to dx9, the option isn't available at all or something.

2) That's still my guess for probably most of the issues, though I was thinking it was more not enough tweaking, not over tweaking as you suggest, but maybe that's possible as well if they do it in the wrong direction. A comprehensive guide would be nice. I'd been thinking about sharing my settings but since every computer is so different and are running on such different specs, it's probably not much use.

3) All right, so along with 1) this could actually be problems within wse2 itself, but which only presents themselves on certain specs or configurations. Although rubberbanding/stuttering sound like they could happen with or without it, isn't that a connection issue? There's always a chance of that it seems.

My biggest tip would be setting to 60fps, that's what made the biggest difference for me as I recall.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 01:16:50 am »
+1
1) Okay, I hadn't considered dx7 vs dx9. So that's a legitimate compatibility issue with wse2 itself then? I wonder if the performance improvements it offers are enough to compensate for older weaker machines to be able to run in dx9 and have it work, even if on lower graphics settings. Or is it just impossible for certain systems to set to dx9, the option isn't available at all or something.

I thought improving performance of DX9 mode would make it similar to DX7, but apparently that's not the case; it's an entirely different system designed to work on much older cards. At this point I don't think there's anything I can do about that, apart from adding it to WSE2 (very unlikely) or hoping that people upgrade their PCs.

2) That's still my guess for probably most of the issues, though I was thinking it was more not enough tweaking, not over tweaking as you suggest, but maybe that's possible as well if they do it in the wrong direction. A comprehensive guide would be nice. I'd been thinking about sharing my settings but since every computer is so different and are running on such different specs, it's probably not much use.

It might be not enough tweaking as well, but in that case it's my fault for setting inadequate default values.
Also, I'm working on adding detailed tooltips to every graphics option telling what it does and how expensive it is (I don't think it will help much in this case, the person I described has more important things to do than read tooltips).

3) All right, so along with 1) this could actually be problems within wse2 itself, but which only presents themselves on certain specs or configurations. Although rubberbanding/stuttering sound like they could happen with or without it, isn't that a connection issue? There's always a chance of that it seems.

Definitely not just a connection issue. It might be one of the new experimental options or something that I changed in the engine. It's hard for me to fix it because it doesn't happen on any on the machines I have.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 01:36:59 am »
Tooltips would be nice. Probably better than the comprehensive guide I was talking about, if getting anyone to read anything is the issue.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Little Lord Lollipop

• Duke
  • Renown: 582
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: Frumpty_Dumpty_ATTS
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 07:32:49 am »
Forced WSE2 would be the end of crpg for me. With all settings on the minimum I had single digit fps (Lower than DX9 without WSE2).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 07:36:50 am by Little Lord Lollipop »
Dear Little Lord Lollipop
You have received a warning for being a total twat.
Best Regards,
The cRPG Forum Team