Author Topic: How to host a server? Anything special I need to know?  (Read 1899 times)

Offline n00854180t

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
How to host a server? Anything special I need to know?
« on: May 05, 2011, 11:56:59 pm »
I searched the forums and the Wiki but didn't find anything relevant. Is there a guide somewhere to hosting a server? Also, I'm wondering if there's a simple server that doesn't require the client to be running? Any help is appreciated!

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
Re: How to host a server? Anything special I need to know?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 12:19:30 am »
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=113653.0

All servers load character details from main database, but xp and gold gain are disabled.

Offline n00854180t

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 12:50:24 am »
Thanks!

But if gold and XP gain are disabled, what's the point of hosting? I wanted to host so that I could set the combat speed to Normal instead of Fastest. If gold and XP gain don't work though, no one will play on it anyway.

Offline VVarlord

• Count
  • Renown: 176
  • Infamy: 86
  • cRPG Player
  • Simmer down and pucker up
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Waylander
  • Game nicks: Waylander_VVar
  • IRC nick: Boldkorn
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:29:07 am »
Thanks!

But if gold and XP gain are disabled, what's the point of hosting? I wanted to host so that I could set the combat speed to Normal instead of Fastest. If gold and XP gain don't work though, no one will play on it anyway.

You cant request to be linked with the database but the waiting list is short but there only one old technician so it takes him about 2months to connect it using his mouse button :D#

But seriously though you can ask to be linked i think.

Offline Kong Ming

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Strength is but only one aspect of power.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom
  • Game nicks: Barely_Legal, Anastasia, Hua_Xiong
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 06:03:43 am »
I dunno if the situation has changed recently, but as far as I know, to have a fully functioning cRPG server means you have to have administrative access to the database, so chadz only gives it to people he trusts a great deal.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline n00854180t

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:24:21 pm »
That's disappointing. Thanks for all your help guys. The dedicated server thread is especially helpful (exactly what I was looking for, would have taken me forever to find it).

PWMod and cRPG have rekindled some of my interest in making mods for M&B (probably none of you youngins remember me from the old days ;) ), after my ~6 year hiatus. Not entirely sure what I want to make at this point, but I have some ideas.

Anyway, I'm going to discuss it with my friend and fellow modder Apex, and see what we want to do. We may open a cRPG server, but I have little patience to wait around for mythical approval of any sort.