Author Topic: rethinking crossbow cav, and as a result maybe all of cav.  (Read 575 times)

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
rethinking crossbow cav, and as a result maybe all of cav.
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:17:33 pm »
for every player that enjoys being HX,  I am sorry for suggesting to completely change your class.  However I feel like some change would be great.
(click to show/hide)

this isnt a realism thread, I am merely suggesting to look at reality as an inspiration to what crossbow cav in crpg could become. 
any of you see a way to make HX a support class like pikemen are,  or a light skirmisher)

Or maybe a primarily melee oriented cav,  that has secondary ranged capabilities?
would something like this help?:

1)  remove the ability to reload a light crossbow. on horse and on foot.
make it two slot and extremely heavy so inf doesnt start using it.
change its max ammo from 1 to 3 (not realistic,  but interesting: a LHX has only 3 shots,  but can shoot them w/o reloading,  quite perfect to soften inf formations before charging in,  or to scare off HX while approaching the enemy.
give it difficulty 15

2) remains the hunting crossbow.  the only xbow reloadable on horse back.
make it unsheathable
reduce reload time/increase reload speed by 50%
reduce damage
give it more accuracy
quadruple the weight
give it difficulty 12

to summarize: I imagine these changes might make the xbows a secondary ranged option for a certain type of cavalry,  that does need dedication,  but also fosters a melee orientation.
their duties would be to fend off horse archers,  soften infantry formations and distract archers from afar,  until both sides clash,  and they themselves engage in melee.

thoughts?

edit:  damn I had a word mix up with the reload speed on hunting xbow.  I meant:  make them relaod faster.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:50:11 pm by Torben »
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: rethinking crossbow cav, and as a result maybe all of cav.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:31:41 pm »
+2
2) remains the hunting crossbow.  the only xbow reloadable on horse back.
make it unsheathable
reduce reload speed by 50%
reduce damage
give it more accuracy
quadruple the weight
give it difficulty 12

This is a joke, right?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
+2
This is a joke, right?
No, the hunting crossbow is obviously very overpowered and needs nerfing.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
Xbow cav is the only OP build in this game, they are the far less nerfed HA and I'm surprised they haven't been nerfed more. The only thing they lack vs HA is fire rate, but that doesn't matter when you're faster, have a pin head reticule and do alot more damage most of the time. Oh yeah, and you will also more likely be alot faster on foot if you do get dismounted. That being said I do enjoy playing HA more, maybe because I feel like less of a my old friend than playing HX.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:47:20 pm »
This is a joke, right?

thats why it aint in suggestion corner, cause talking helps.  But making the weap a secondary only option includes rendering it ineffective enough not to be a primary option,  doesnt it?

edit:  damn I had a word mixup with the reload speed.  I meant:  make them relaod faster.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login