Author Topic: Lower Slots on Practice Swords?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Lower Slots on Practice Swords?
« on: June 08, 2013, 08:25:48 am »
+10
So the practice sword and practice longsword are so cheap and weak that they are pretty much joke items. 14 blunt one hander and 18 blunt two hander. No knockdown. The reach and speed is okay but you still aren't going to do much with them.

A lot of the cheaper 1H swords (and the short expensive ones) got reduced to zero slots in a patch. The practice sword did not. You could argue that the length and blunt instead of cut damage make it a different category than the current zero slot weapons, but it's just so bad. Making it 0 slots would make it a viable backup weapon similar to the hammer or sickle.

The practice longsword is extremely similar to the 1 slot polearm, the staff. The staff actually does more damage (18b swing and thrust, longsword gets 18/14 respectively). I see absolutely no reason to NOT make this a one slot weapon. Price and power are nearly identical, but the practice longsword has no knockdown and is 2 slots. That's ridiculous.

My motivation for this thread is that I play a crossbow 'monk' who uses a staff as his melee weapon. I like the aesthetics of the practice longsword but I can't use it with my crossbow. It'd be neat to see these weapons pop up from time to time in the server. As they are now, there's no reason to take them on any build. Even knives and staves have their niche. But these poor practice weapons do not.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Lower Slots on Practice Swords?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:39:19 am »
+10
While your at it change the loom names from commener's, villager's, elder's to novice', apprentice', master's practice sword. It's a knightly practice weapon not a peasants stick!
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:29 am »
Bumping to ask if there is a reason NOT to do this. Would 0 practice sword and 1 slot practice longsword become OP with any kind of build? As crossbow (2slot xbow, 1 slot bolts) the 1H choices are still better than a 1 slot practice longsword. The practice sword is terrible compared to any 0 slot one hander.

I can't think of any OP combos if this was changed; can you?

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:05:17 pm »
+1
Practice longsword as 1slot weapon? Have you actually used it? It is in fact very decent with 6PS+. If it were made 1 slot, it would be the obvious choice as a 1slot backup weapon.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 12:28:38 pm »
+1
Practice longsword as 1slot weapon? Have you actually used it? It is in fact very decent with 6PS+. If it were made 1 slot, it would be the obvious choice as a 1slot backup weapon.

This. It isn't that bad a weapon and honestly having more people using it would look silly.

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:13:46 pm »

I can't think of any OP combos if this was changed; can you?

I don't think it would be OP, however we're talking about some of the cheapest weapons in the game; they're supposed to be useless, or close to (in my humble opinion, of course).

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 02:18:43 pm »
Yeah it will look silly when half of the people on the battlefield will block hammers and axes with a wooden sword.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »
You should see Phase with practice longsword  :wink:

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 08:50:07 pm »
+1
The quarterstaff is 1 slot, more damage, and has knockdown. Is the difference in 2H and polearm animations big enough that people would grab the practice longsword all the time?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 09:31:15 pm »
+1
The quarterstaff is 1 slot, more damage, and has knockdown. Is the difference in 2H and polearm animations big enough that people would grab the practice longsword all the time?

The quarterstaff is OP against nudists at least

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 10:28:48 pm »
Because a practice longsword is bulky and weighs more while the staff is a straight long piece of wood that weighs only a pound. Damage values should not dictate whether something is 1 or 2 slots.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:16 pm »
Yes.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:38:29 pm »
If you haven't seen me get valour naked with a 1H practice sword than I can understand why you think it's not the best 1H.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 09:25:41 am »
Because a practice longsword is bulky and weighs more while the staff is a straight long piece of wood that weighs only a pound. Damage values should not dictate whether something is 1 or 2 slots.

Qstaff weight is 1.2, practice longsword is 1.5 so the difference isn't that great. One of the factors of "OP" ness that I just thought of is the model - quarterstaff blocks vision as a first person weapon when you block. It can also block vision if you use ranged in third person. Arbalest/steel bolts/practice longsword could be very powerful if you dedicate some points into PS. The speed and length of the longsword are excellent.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 09:54:20 am »
Makes sense.