Author Topic: Fix the golden hypergrind with...  (Read 967 times)

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
Fix the golden hypergrind with...
« on: May 05, 2011, 02:33:18 am »
Repair points

Every tick you get repair points that fix your equipment.
Gold is reduced to modest values and people can no longer buy full suits of armor on their first day of the game!

remember back when gold meant something?
I do
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Fix the golden hypergrind with...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 03:58:34 am »
Everyone already has a full set of black armor nowadays, this would just further nerf the new players.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 04:54:11 am »
assuming everyone starts the same clause added

Offline OoberNoob

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_OoberNoob
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 06:20:17 am »
TBH I do miss the way it was when buying a new piece of equipment felt like my birthday.  I remember saving up for my first horse, it took me over a month and when I got it I discovered I sucked as calvary... didnt stop me using it though, I just spent 24K on it so i used it every match and died early every time because I didnt even know the basics to being cav.  Now I have 4 horses, more armor than will show up on the equipment screen and the best weapons for each type of scenario. It kind of ridiculous.

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 07:26:38 am »
TBH I do miss the way it was when buying a new piece of equipment felt like my birthday.
Me too, but I also sort of like the current system...
I can rock my good plate an weapons for only so long before I start seeing obvious losses to my bank account.
Then I go back to wearing medium or light armor generally.

The current system feels pretty balanced to me.
Although I do hear some people complain it cramps their style, I like that you have some inventory/resource management.
It also is a good excuse to have fun playing in slightly different styles with different gear,
which keeps things interesting imo.
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:37:43 am »
I like the repair-point idea.
Could be easier to balance gold/armor etc.

If its done it had to be done with a complete item reset i guess.
Else it would be pointless.

Offline yakri

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:59:31 am »
I don't know if I like the current system, but this would be worse imo, and I doubt chadz would ever consider it, since it would basically be a weird revert to the old system.

On your system, everyone end game would just be further encouraged to wear the best armor in the game 24/7.

I'd rather see a couple of tiers of armor, that have -almost- uniform stats, and each tier has a advantages/disadvantages. Then individual armor pieces could be selected based on look.

This could be accomplished mostly with weight of the armor (light, medium, heavy), so there would be different reasons to wear different armor, and there wouldn't be a single, "best."

I don't know if that would really be better than the current or old setups though.

Repairs are a bitch, but it's not that horrible a system really, it just sucks if you like certain high level items as a noob (I <3 my Flamberge).

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:29:18 am »
That could be a good idea, but that will affect more new players.
In fact a new player would never have the same equip (same chances) as a long time player.

More time i play, better equipment i have, like in old system, is unfair. That give an advantage to grind on skill.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 09:11:43 am »
That could be a good idea, but that will affect more new players.
In fact a new player would never have the same equip (same chances) as a long time player.

More time i play, better equipment i have, like in old system, is unfair. That give an advantage to grind on skill.

You can't really hope to win against people that played cRPG for several months as a newcomer anyway. I think making equipment as hard to get as before upkeep came in would also solve some problems (you don't really want to switch to the latest EZ mode thingy if it takes long to do so). Today, your equipment doesn't feel like it's yours at all. You have to pay for it, and furthermore you know everyone that wants it can buy it anytime.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 09:49:02 am »
TBH I do miss the way it was when buying a new piece of equipment felt like my birthday.  I remember saving up for my first horse, it took me over a month ...<snip>
So having to grind for a month so you can play the style you want is fun for you?
No thanks. I couldn't get enough time in the game to retire once since the new patch came out. The 4-5 hours a week players will never get anywhere. I don't mind using store equipment instead of triple heirlooms, but I need at least the basic stuff. The current systems scales very well with "time played". I cannot afford using the top armor and horses, but I easily get to and can afford constant mid tier equipment setup.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 02:22:47 pm »
it's true that you can't compete as a new comer, but because you don't have the skills to do it.
If you add better equipment for old players then the chances for newcomers are even lower, which is even more unfair and newcomers will quit the mod earlier.

Btw, i don't see why someone that can spend several hours a day should have an advantage over someone that can play few hours per weeks.
I play cRPG since july 2010, i really don't want to have specific advantage for that, i like how chadz and dev team work to make this mod balanced, fair and playable quickly for new players.
If i didn't have the will to suffer many hours being slaugthered as a peasant i would have quit cRPG instantly, it was very harsh at this time. Now i see this with nostalgia, cos it was good times, but it was good times because i succeed.
Now game is still hard for newcomers but you can succeed faster. Dev have a general view and act in interest of everyone, how can you explain that you play this mod since long time and that you are addict to cRPG like any other game.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 12:11:05 am »
I don't know if I like the current system, but this would be worse imo, and I doubt chadz would ever consider it, since it would basically be a weird revert to the old system.

On your system, everyone end game would just be further encouraged to wear the best armor in the game 24/7.

did you even read the post?