Author Topic: Do something about leeching characters  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
Re: Do something about leeching characters
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 10:51:48 pm »
+1
I find it hard to imagine that people who grind 5-15k gold an hour in peasant gear are the main reason the economy has a problem.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 10:52:48 pm »
Why on earth has QML been rendered useless in the first place?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:18 pm »
+1
I'm not talking about the people who use peasant gear and are contributing, I'm talking about the guy who runs around with a stick every map, every night I'm playing and isn't even trying to contribute to the team.  They aren't even trying to be helpful they're basically suicide leeching or hiding behind a tree.  But everyone thinks it's okay for one reason or another...obvious leechers are obvious, but since they're running around with a twig they get a pass...

And I get valor most rounds I play anyways, so it's probably a moot point, but it still seems ridiculous when we're all dependent on each other, that you have some dead weights bringing your team down because they don't want to actually play the game, they just want to leech gold/looms for their other chars.  (Yeah for run on sentences)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2013, 12:03:19 am »
+1
I'm not talking about the people who use peasant gear and are contributing, I'm talking about the guy who runs around with a stick every map, every night I'm playing and isn't even trying to contribute to the team.  They aren't even trying to be helpful they're basically suicide leeching or hiding behind a tree.  But everyone thinks it's okay for one reason or another...obvious leechers are obvious, but since they're running around with a twig they get a pass...

And I get valor most rounds I play anyways, so it's probably a moot point, but it still seems ridiculous when we're all dependent on each other, that you have some dead weights bringing your team down because they don't want to actually play the game, they just want to leech gold/looms for their other chars.  (Yeah for run on sentences)

That just seems like leeching as has been set up as against the rules. I.E: Not contributing to teams, being afk, hiding.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2013, 07:33:04 am »
+1
I don't have any concrete suggestions on how to fix the problem, but maybe one would be that if you're over a certain level and you're using shit gear still, you're obviously leeching.  I wouldn't mind so much if the multiplier system was removed for something better, but when one leecher versus one good player can make the difference between winning and losing, it's quite an annoyance having these useless gold/loom leechers on your team.
and

Clearly at the start you were talking about peasantgear users, contributing and noncontributing alike. This is why you got such negative responses. Personally I like it this way. You acctually have to play lame to gain gold so that you could start using your shiny knight in armor and the goldsinks are required so that the whole economy in here doesnt crash and burn like Greece. And the fact that the peasants are balanced equally between teams is a pretty darn good reason not to complain.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 09:14:00 am »
+1
Let me show you how much of a leecher I am

Now, acting against the real active leechers (suicide runs, hiding etc.) seems like a good idea but they represent an extremely minor problem. There's virtually no point being an active leecher over an active player as you still have to be active.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
+1
but when one leecher versus one good player can make the difference between winning and losing, it's quite an annoyance having these useless gold/loom leechers on your team.

I think in a role playing game, freedom of choice is the highest good, that's why I don't like the idea of making it unable for certain players to play their favourite build at all. If someone wants to reenact a conscripted peasant, he should be allowed to.

maybe if you went right to the root of the problem (instead of addressing the end result) you wouldn't need to try and take so much gold out of the economy?

I don't have any concrete suggestions on how to fix the problem,

The root of the problem are not players with cheap equipment. It's the incredibly retarded upkeep system in general. It has so many flaws, I don't even know where to begin.

Replace the upkeep system, and the problem of leeching has been dealt with. And yes, it's not difficult to find a new equipment limitation system, which actually works (even with a marketplace) and which is fair and allows more diversity.

Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »
The problem of leeching isn't even really related to equipment cost but to passive xp gain. That leechers play naked is only a byproduct of upkeep.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 03:57:38 pm »
Changing the XP/Gold gain to something better would alleviate the issue entirely. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »
+1
Changing the XP/Gold gain to something better would alleviate the issue entirely.
This has been adressed long ago. From what I can remember from an old forum post by chadz, that he understands that the multipliersystem is bs and they do try to rework it. Woulds/shoulds/coulds about the xp/gold gain are unneccesary cause its an old age issue that has had tons of suggestions over the years. One more flawed than the last. Until then, you just gonna have to live with it. :rolleyes:

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »
+1
This has been adressed long ago. From what I can remember from an old forum post by chadz, that he understands that the multipliersystem is bs and they do try to rework it. Woulds/shoulds/coulds about the xp/gold gain are unneccesary cause its an old age issue that has had tons of suggestions over the years. One more flawed than the last. Until then, you just gonna have to live with it. :rolleyes:

Well, I suggested some time ago that your equipment is not determined by money, but by skill point investment. The more skill points you invest, the higher your budget and/or the more slots you have. Since your equimpent is directly affecting your effectivity, it needs to be balanced by something else which also affects your effectivity, to have some kind of tradeoff and to keep the levels equal. And the only other thing besides equipment (and skill, of course, which is unimpotant in this case, though) are your character stats. So either have a character with good stats and bad gear, with good gear but bad stats, or something more balanced. It's a way more persistent (no "good" and "bad" loadouts needed) and predictable system, it limits equipment more effectively than the upkeep system (whoever does trading on the marketplace is unaffected by upkeep), it allows much more freedom (heavy cav, plated infantry, etc.) without destrying balance, and it supports more character diversity. And last but not least it's fair, because everyone can afford the same. Strat players, clan members and whatnot don't have unjustified advantages.

I don't see where such a system can be more flawed than the upkeep system. One time chadz even admitted it would be worth thinking about it, but since the upkeep system was already implemented it was too late, anyway.

(I am referring here to the upkeep system, which is the big problem, not the multiplier itelf. The multiplier is only the means by which the problems of the upkeep system (= the gold income) are delivered.)
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)