Author Topic: Last few points of build into WM or IF?  (Read 776 times)

Offline juv95hrn

• Baron
  • Renown: 149
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Last few points of build into WM or IF?
« on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:20 am »
I often have problems choosing where to put my last couple of points in a build. Should I get IF or WM.

Is there a general rule of when to do what? I guess people prefer more IF into non-shielders. I also understand that Polearms and 2-handers "need no WPF at all", etc. Maybe split up to get some points in IF and some in WM. Whats the difference of 100 to a 146 in WPF. I figure something like 1.5p damage but is it worth being a glass cannon w/o any IF.

I realize milage may vary but when do you prefer IF and when do you prefer WM?

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
Re: Last few points of build into WM or IF?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 10:03:55 am »
+1
Well WM or IF depends on your class, surely. For example, you are  an archer, you better choose WM for more archery, so more accurary. If you are 2hander, choose IF, because you get more hits and bumps etc than a hiding archer. With 4 WM at e.g. 2h, you have at level 30 around 140 WPF, shall be enough. So, you want to be faster/have better accurary, choose WM.
You want to be able to get more hits? you often get bumped/teamhittted or archers shoot you?? Choose IF!! But decide, what fits better to you. Maybe you can split your last points to both (how much you have left).
As Shielder I would take WM, if you have less than 4. I would choose IF at shielder, if you have less than 3or4. So Melee IF, ranged indeed WM. As Lancer, or cav, I woupd split it.
Hope I could help YOU!:)
Greetings.
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline juv95hrn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 10:25:41 am »
Yes, ranged always more WM I agree.

I suppose shielder is hardest to decide.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:31:35 am »
+3
What weapon do you use? I find WM very useful for slow or high damage weapons, as the percentual improvement to those factors benefit them more. Weapons like a longspear, flamberge, GLB, basically anything below 90 speed can really speed up quite a lot with high wpf. Swingspeed depends way more on your footwork and your ability to hit early in the animation and the slight increase by wpf is not that important. If a weapon has a decent speed rating and you are able to swing properly, than the extra wpf is not going to be that noticable.

Weapons gain about 1 powerstrike worth of damage from 6 WM points. So 6 times the cost for something which otherwise costs 1 point might seem a little crazy, if it weren't that powerstrike is always maxed anyway and getting this extra powerstrike point would require converting 6 skillpoints and then adding one to powerstrike. Neither of these possibilities beats the 12 hitpoints you can get from putting 6 points in Ironflesh. The damage bonus is not huge so I would only max WM for extremely high damage weapons which are also slow.

I personally find the notion that shielders wouldn't benefit from ironflesh ridiculous. A shield is just a way of blocking and it is hardly perfect, you are going to get hit as much as 2h and polearm and IF is exactly as useful for you as for the other melee classes. Shielder exactly uses the fast, low damage weapons which won't gain that much from WM. Furthermore if you use a stab heavy weapon, I think WM reduces the effects from stab stun and improves recovery, so stab weapons need WM.

In short, my recommendations would be:

Below 90 speed weapon or stab heavy weapon: Get 5 to max WM.
90-95 speed: Get 3 or 4 WM
95+ speed: Get 0-2 WM

Of course if you play a light armoured agi build with a fast weapon, you could think about maxing WM anyway because you will die in 1 or 2 hits anyway, regardless of ironflesh. Armour does improve the effects of ironflesh and reduces the effect of WM. So make your judgement based on weapon speed, weapon damage and armour weight.

Offline juv95hrn

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 01:31:23 pm »
This is very useful argumentation for different scenarios. Thanks a bunch!