Author Topic: The Way of the Spamurai(melee basics lesson)  (Read 1705 times)

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • Renown: 67
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I do what I want
The Way of the Spamurai(melee basics lesson)
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »
now here is a short lesson on how to fight in M&B(AFAIK), I will update this thread with people's worthy additions on "fighting" or with some of my tactics/succesful builds if people like the BASIC section and want to hear more

MELEE BASIC MANEUVERS

SET YOUR ATTACKS AND BLOCKS IN YOUR OPTION MENU TO "CONTROLLED BY MOUSE" OR "CONTROLLED BY KEYBOARD",  then I highly recommend playing single player arena just a lil bit to familiarize yourself with what BLOCKING and ATTACKING consists of.

BASIC BLOCKING: Block in the same direction the enemy attack, i.e. an enemy overhead attack is blocked by a overhead block

(if you use keyboard, same key will block as attack just switch from LMB to RMB for a block)

I use attack/block by keyboard direction, many do not, I have played the game(original M&B) for years, it feels like its been out a decade by now, I used to use mouse direction........

but when I attack or block I like to spin around too and that can get annoying with mouse while keyboard is one quick keyslap

NOTE: EVEN IF A CRUSHTHROUGH WEAPON IS GOING TO OVERHEAD U*and you can't somehow dodge out of the way or hit him with a quick hit*, BEST CHANCE IS TO FACEHUG WITH A HIGH AIMING OVERHEAD BLOCK  AND INTERCEPT THE SWING EARLY(ESPECIALLY WITH HEAVIER WEAPONS/SHIELDS), LETTING THE SWING NEAR COMPLETION BEFORE IT STRIKES IS A SUREFIRE WAY TO DIE

(REMEMBER HEAVIER WEAPONS/SHIELDS PROTECT VS CRUSH MOAR)

PS if your weapon/shield is light, you better be bobbing and weaving and hopefully iniatiating a feint that turns into a good attack for the first part of the engagement, then draw back after the hit and see if you can pull it off again

CHAMBERING: You can hold an attack before you release it by not letting go of LMB, this is a very important concept in fighting in mount and blade, and not just as it pertains to chamber blocking, which is more often an accidental conseqence of chambering in general, you chamber a attack while the LMB is held down, if you use RMB you stop the chamber, you can even stop the swing in first half of animation after you release an attack

FEINTING is accomplished by ending an attack that was already released using RMB before midswing and starting another one in a different direction immediately thereafter

Result of a Feint: Your enemy sees your animation and blocks the wrong direction of your *real* attack

*WARNING UNBALANCED WEAPON PENALTY*-

Unbalanced weapons are slower to stop swings, so remember that whatever speed the weapon says for 1 v 1 it is going to be even harder(especially against anyone decent)

HOW TO USE CHAMBERING IN SINGLE COMBAT: You chamber an attack with and you notice enemy is already blocking that direction, quickly tap block to cancel last attack and then chamber and attack in a different direction, if your enemy does manage to have pre-readied the block for the new attack, cancel it before midswing*feint* and attack immediately from another direction,

CHAMBER BLOCKING: Your enemy releases an attack, right before it hits you to block it you can "chamberblock" his attack with itself by readying(but not releasing) your attack of the same direction, timing is critical I highly recommend finding someone in the duel server to train this with

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 08:45:49 am by DrKronic »
Greed is for amateurs...Chaos, Disorder, Anarchy now that's fun!

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: The Way of the Spamurai
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:15:16 pm »
I like it!

Also, here's light build for spamurai with Katana or Hafted Blade:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)
Strength: 9
Agility: 30
Hit points: 44
Converted: 8
Ironflesh: 0
Power Strike: 3
Shield: 0
Athletics: 10
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 10
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 190 (version 1)
Polearm: 190 (version 2)
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

You can wear light strange armor + katana or hafted blade.

Here's medium build for spamurai with Nodachi or Long Hafted Blade:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)
Strength: 12
Agility: 27
Hit points: 49
Converted: 8
Ironflesh: 1
Power Strike: 4
Shield: 0
Athletics: 9
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 9
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 181 (version 1)
Polearm: 181 (version 2)
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

You can wear strange armor + nodachi or long hafted blade.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 10:19:11 pm by Dravic »

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of the Spamurai
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 02:24:59 am »
I wouldn't recommend either of those atm, its far more fruitful to keep your agi about for 15 max(5 WM will get you 148 wpp in one weapon type, basically the softcap of where you will notice more of an improvement by raising str) and pour str in the way things work, right now I tested that my current build is 15 24(well will be at 30) and while it works there are definite shortcomings, just can't put anyone down without a headshot(since most everyone is high str/IF) + too easy to die and more than twice as much athletics practically hasn't paid off at all(since really any armor cancels most of athletics effects just about)

last 2 gens postpatch I had done 15 agi max and definitely saw more gains from 15 agi max than balanced or high agi(unless you are horsing/hybrid)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 02:30:35 am by DrKronic »

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
Re: The Way of the Spamurai(melee basics lesson)
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:22:33 am »
I dont see feinting or is that what you call chambering? also chamber blocking, you see your oponant atack, you strike in the same direction- for exmaple, he left swings you right swing, you just let it fly, it should block and will immediatly strike though it is blockable
Just a soldier

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:48:33 am »
I dont see feinting or is that what you call chambering? also chamber blocking, you see your oponant atack, you strike in the same direction- for exmaple, he left swings you right swing, you just let it fly, it should block and will immediatly strike though it is blockable

FEINTING
 is accomplished by ending an attack that was already released using RMB before midswing and starting another one in a different direction immediately thereafter

thats from my above post

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 07:28:04 am »
crap missed that part sorry
Just a soldier

Offline DrKronic

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Arch Villain of cRPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:54 am »
Pushing this to the top as I think new people may need to read it, also for foot soldiers I recommend by level 30 about 15 agi max