Author Topic: Name Changes  (Read 953 times)

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
Name Changes
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:34:13 pm »
+18
I've been thinking about the name change system, and it's cool that you can get a name change when you retire so that you can make a name that matches your new build, such as changing from "Stabby_McStabberson" to something else when you're no longer using a weapon with a stab. However, it would be really cool if that unlimited name change was extended to respecs as well, for precisely the same reason.

Further, it would lower the workload on devs having to approve or deny name changes. Also, with devs having the ability to view logs on what a character's previous names were now, the accountability for griefing etc. is no longer as much of a concern.

The biggest issue here is that STF characters can't EVER change their name because they can't ever retire, and the only way to have a different skip the fun is to delete the character and start a new one. On the surface, this seems ok, but when you consider a STF character that has been in use long enough to own half a million worth of non-transferable equipment, this means that in order to change your STFs name, you're losing a potentially MASSIVE amount of gold by having to sell the mundane equipment at a huge loss. That's a pretty unacceptable amount of invested time lost for something as petty as a name change, imo.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:45:33 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
Re: Name Changes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
+1
I think I went about this post in the wrong way. I imagine most people would agree that this change would be good. That being said, I understand that there isn't a whole lot to add to my original post if you feel that way. If you do, I encourage more of you to upvote the post so that devs can see that this is something players would like.

Offline Necrorave

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Who the fuck is this guy?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul
  • Game nicks: Necrorave and or Cheesus Crust
  • IRC nick: Necrorave
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:17:03 pm »
I think the big reason they do the approval is to prevent someone from taking anyone's "Default" name.

Example:  Necrorave_of_TKoV

Default name would be Necrorave.

If someone decided to leave a clan, being able to keep their old name would be preferred.

Edit:  Also, I do agree that STF should be able to name change as much as they want (As long as the fixed price remains)

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 11:28:58 pm »
+1
I think the big reason they do the approval is to prevent someone from taking anyone's "Default" name.

If someone decided to leave a clan, being able to keep their old name would be preferred.

Make an alt named Necrorave. Then no one can steal it and when you want to change your name back to default all you need to do is delete your alt.

It just takes, like, half a minute out of your day to make or delete it, so there's no reason not to do it.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 11:35:42 pm »
+2
Make an alt named Necrorave. Then no one can steal it and when you want to change your name back to default all you need to do is delete your alt.

It just takes, like, half a minute out of your day to make or delete it, so there's no reason not to do it.

Well I hope he already did it, because I just tried to steal it and it belongs to somebody else.

PS If anyone owns the character name Eris and reads this, I'll pay you 300k to give me that name.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

Edit:  Also, I do agree that STF should be able to name change as much as they want (As long as the fixed price remains)

I'd just like to point out that you can already take someone's name by changing it slightly. For instance, I could create a character named Ecko since Ecko's name is Ecko_ATS. I can also do this with the name change tool when I retire for free, without oversight since it's done automatically.

From what I've been told by admins, the only reason people aren't able to change names freely is an issue of accountability. They didn't want people to be able to grief, then change their name and no one knew who did it. However, that concern is a relic of the past, when admins couldn't look up character names and see what other characters they were associated with. Since this is no longer a concern, I thought I'd bring the issue to light.

And sure, I don't mind paying for a name change on my STF. There isn't really any reason for it, aside from a gold sink, but that's ok, we have a lot of those. ;)

The point is, you -should- be able to do it somehow. Sucks that you can't without throwing away a potentially enormous time investment.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:44:04 am by Heroin »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 09:37:56 am »
In the interim, there are basically two things you can do to get a STF name change to go through:

1.) Request a straight up full change until it goes through. Sometimes you'll get lucky and the first try will work, other times you'll spend 10k, but eventually someone will probably accept it.
2.) Request a series of partial changes as a loophole (e.g. Heroin to HeroinNPancakes to Pancakes).

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 03:52:09 am »
Has this happened yet? I heard it was being looked into, but haven't had much time to explore the site recently.

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:00:57 am »
+10
The STF name change is on my list and should be available soon.

Offline Canuck

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Canuck
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 04:34:29 am »
+1
As far as STFs go, I've always just bought things on my main and then used the clan armory to get them on my STF, so it's still easily transferable. I haven't seen a cap on things that can go in the armory, but I could be wrong.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:28:46 am »
The STF name change is on my list and should be available soon.

Thanks for the update. You're awesome. ;)

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:08:13 pm »
+1
Just so we're all speaking the same language here, any possibility someone could define how we're using the word "soon" ?

Offline Malaclypse

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 12:27:31 am »
Just so we're all speaking the same language here, any possibility someone could define how we're using the word "soon" ?

Soon™?

Offline Harald

• The old
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:27:38 pm »
+8
Added, for a small fee you can change name & gender anytime on non-main STF chars.