Author Topic: Best advice for noobs wanting to get good.  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
Re: Best advice for noobs wanting to get good.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 03:19:39 pm »
+4
Start as a one-handed user with a shield. I would avoid a spear initially. Go for a build of ~ 21 str, 15 agi. You should fine a similar build somewhere here on the forums for one handed. Don't take riding or throwing, just stick to basics. Read all the guides around for the class to get an idea, and then jump into the servers.

I cheated and practiced mainly with a clan to teach me, and siege were I can respawn and get more practical experience. Now, the reason I say to pick a one-handed shielder is so that you don't have to worry about manual blocking. You first want to get in the habit of simply reacting to an enemy attack first. Stopping arrows is just a plus. As a shielder, you can learn footwork, wish is how to use the movement system in the game to make your attacks connect quicker. (Example, swing left to right and moving to your right)

If you really want to get better quicker, take a 15 minute warm up in single player. Not the campaign, but boot up native and start the tutorial. Run over to the combat trainers and ask them to spar. During the spar with the npc, dont attack and just block. Block as long as you can. Start with novice trainers on low speed and work your way up. Manual blocking and manual attacking in this game are one in the same, and all of it is based of muscle memory. How do you build muscle memory? Repetition.

Be persistent in what you do and you will succeed. Though it is funner, and I admit I did it, try not to try out every single class early on. They all work differently. You'll spend so much time learning each class' specific things you will forget the basics. (No one will teach you the basics when you ask how to play Class Y.)

Once you have the basics down (Footwork, Manual attack/block) you can do almost anything in the game. Good luck.

P.S. As I mentioned I cheated by having a clan help me, I advise you do too. Having mentors definitely changed my cRPG experience.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 03:59:57 pm »
I agree with zanze, join a clan. And as a clan, I recommend joining my clan :mrgreen:
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 04:47:40 pm »
+2
Play siege.  Fast respawn timer means you get more play time per time in game, and gain combat experience faster.

(i'm talking IRL experience, not game xp.)

Noobs in battle just die and wait for the end of the round.  Not very fun or very efficient in terms of learning.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 05:43:28 pm »
Some good advice in here, one other piece of advice I'd recommend, try to figure out early on what class you want to play and stick with it.  That way you can heirloom exactly the items that will benefit your build/class the best.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:56:08 pm »
+1
Play siege.  Fast respawn timer means you get more play time per time in game, and gain combat experience faster.

Noobs in battle just die and wait for the end of the round.  Not very fun or very efficient in terms of learning.

True to a point, but I learned to play various classes not through constant practice, but through observation.

I was some jackass new player running around, and I saw Rhaelys tearing it up with that brutal right-swing. I was like "shit damn I want to right-swing like that" so I watched and imitated.

I was still a jackass new player and I saw San wrecking foe after foe with his sword n' shield. I was like "holy fuckin ballsacks I want to wreck as many people as San" so I watched and learned.

I was STILL a jackass new player and I watched Plague/Ves (RIP) using nasty-ass feints and making motherfuckers look silly and I was like "goddamn son, I want to break some cRPG ankles like that dude" so I watched and mimicked him.

I'm still a jackass, but no longer a new player. I still have never had anyone coach me actively, but I've learned a lot from good players. My advice is to find whoever you think is a total demolishing machine in battle, and try to do what they do. Siege can be good because of little down-time, but for a very new player, siege really isn't the best option, imo. A poor level 1-20 brand new player is simply going to scale the castle walls time and again, only to get cut/smashed down by scary strength-based players, with very little time to observe and learn.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:44:07 pm by Sandersson Jankins »

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:02 am »
True to a point, but I learned to play various classes not through constant practice, but through observation.

Observing good players will teach you a lot of things that you would otherwise take months to pick up. When they swing or fire a shot, try to figure out why they did. When they position themselves somewhere on the map, look at the whole map and find out why it was a good choice. Watch how they tear down noobs and how they go toe to toe with other veterans. If you are new, don't minimize M&B after you die. Try to learn something new every time you play.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline FrugFrug

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB Mascot
  • Game nicks: FrugFrug Owl_Beard
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 10:54:44 pm »
+1
Poor Terence...

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 12:07:58 am »
Joining a clan makes the game much more enjoyable bearable.  Pop into TeamSpeaks, see who you mesh with!

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:26 am »

If people still played buggy siege.  :rolleyes: