Author Topic: Round Steel Buckler useful?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Round Steel Buckler useful?
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:32:24 am »
I like this shield because of the speed and weight but is it worth using? How much shield skill will I need for this not to break in two hits? Will I be wasting money and looms on this pos?

edit: what about the level 5 buckler is that worth it?
Jackson And No Bank

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
Re: Round Steel Buckler useful?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:19 am »
+2
Hi turner!

I  had a mw round steel buckler some time ago, it was more useful back then, since 0 slot 1h were rarer

In my opinion, you need at least 5 shield skill for it to be a true shield, at 3 it's more of a cheap arrow blocker and a few hits eater

But, at 5 shield skill, you'd better go withe the other buckler in my opinion

tl;dr version : true shielder : go other buckler, hybrid shielder and slot whore : go round one!

hope it helped!
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00:51 am »
+1
Hello Mr. Coch

thats exactly the type of answer i was looking for

Allahu Akbar
Jackson And No Bank

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 04:16:42 am »
+4
A buckler with 7 or more shield skill is better than a heavy shield and 4 shield skill. You will be able to block instantly, and your high agility and lower equip weight will let you pull off some fancy footwork. Here's a few pics of the magic barrier you get that reaches beyond your buckler's physical model. I was 18/24 at the time. All the projectiles you see were blocked by my shield.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Ramza

• Earl
  • Renown: 344
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • @aeonslife
    • View Profile
    • Aeonslife
  • Faction: Remnant
  • Game nicks: Trisection_Ramza
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:56 am »
You would need at least 6 Athletics and 5 Shield to get the most out of it. They're REALLY small. If you go for a more typical approach in teamfights, you'll always be hit from the sides from weapons and ranged. With low shield hitpoints, you have to pick your fights very carefully and not take unnecessary hits that don't give you better positioning. Loomed bucklers and more shield skill will definitely give you some noticeable leeway.

Although, it's not a matter of what shield skill you need for a buckler to not break, because it likely WILL break and it's what you need to do in battle to take advantage of its unique perks while you still have it. Avoid bonus to shield weapons at all cost (high athletics will help). Try to outlast the enemy team, when there's less people overall in the round, that's when it'll shine, during 1v1s.

I think it's a fine line for the Steel Buckler and may or may not be worth its upkeep. It can take more hits, which makes up for the Round Steel Buckler's weaknesses, and it doesn't weigh significantly more, but it's slower, and costs more than twice as much.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 05:46:47 am »
I think it's a fine line for the Steel Buckler and may or may not be worth its upkeep. It can take more hits, which makes up for the Round Steel Buckler's weaknesses, and it doesn't weigh significantly more, but it's slower, and costs more than twice as much.

I wish the steel buckler had been rebalanced along with the round steel buckler. Although, now that there are so many 0 slot 1H weapons a steel buckler and 0 slot 1H make for great backup as a crossbower, or even an archer.

But then again they added nudge for 1H with no shield, so maybe it will see a reduction in prince some time in the future...

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 08:46:57 am »
Great for cav who want lance, shield and bardiche/bec/glaive.

level 31 21/15

hoplite/polearm hero/cav hybrid

Different shields for different jobs
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 02:38:17 pm »
Giggles of Fun
-7ath
-7shield