Author Topic: New Items and that big and honest dev condemnation post  (Read 550 times)

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
New Items and that big and honest dev condemnation post
« on: March 17, 2013, 12:18:55 am »
Maybe this is a little rude but its not my intention I love cRPG and the devs have done a great job making warband 2.0 for most of us.

Is it possible that a direct link between the anger of the community being expressed and all those new items.

To me it looks like the implementation was not a thought out one and was rushed at the last minute.

Spathion 0 slots
Shashka is now off the chain
still no balance for the arab swords and lower tier arming swords
internal balance within the short swords is bad as well
new shields are a bit OP imo
Some new horses have funny stats

I thought these items were meant to be tested before implementation. It looks to me like someone has guessed the stats without doing a comparison or a few people decided the stats without talking first.

anyway express your thoughts on the matter here if you want.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 03:18:01 am by Kalam »
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Re: New Items and that big and honest dev condemnation post
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 12:30:20 am »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:42:26 am »
^Every one has hinted this no one has said it as far as i know.

I just think the devs were a little pressured and because of this fucked up
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:45:20 am »
+2
My favourite is the comparison between short arming sword and nordic short war sword. Let's pay more cash for the exact same weapon, just with 6 less pierce damage on the stab!
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 01:01:34 am »
To be honest I cant come up with reasons anymore why this keeps happening. Yes, I am happy when new stuff gets added and I know they are doing it for free. But seriously, how can you take several weeks or even months to come up with implementations that are so obviously out of line ? I mean, it takes about 2 minutes of comparing stats to realise that there is something wrong.

Exactly the same thing as the 13 PD = zero wpf penalty patch.

Offline kasMVC

• Duke
  • Renown: 608
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:34:41 am »
+1
I'm not qualified to comment on item balance issues because I use items based on feel and appearance.

However the new Shaska seems to be a little bit too cool for school. There may also be something too great about the triangle shield and the hand pavise. I am basing my shield comment off of what my betters have told me in game chat.

Even though the shaska seems op due to stats I still get more kills with my fighting pick

Offline Torost

• Count
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 109
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
Look at the eastern horse. It is a sumpter with 15 more armor and require 2 more riding skill for 3X the price! good deal.....

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 03:07:09 pm »
+4
I fully agree with the OP. I am pretty sure I heard someone from the dev team state that they were only waiting for chadz to do finalize them and do a patch, which means they have had a few months to think of stats. Yet they completely fucked up the stats, I am pretty sure I could have done a better job in 10 minutes. Making a new item better than another item in every aspect? If that isn't failing balance 101, I don't know what is.

At least they have acknowledged now that they suck at/don't care about stats balancing and are looking for people that would undoubtedly do a better job.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 06:18:25 pm »
+1
I am pretty sure I could have done a better job in 10 minutes. Making a new item better than another item in every aspect? If that isn't failing balance 101, I don't know what is.

At least they have acknowledged now that they suck at/don't care about stats balancing and are looking for people that would undoubtedly do a better job.

Yeah, I think 75% of the player base could do an adequate job at item balance. Step 1; identify an existing weapon that's generally considered "good". Step 2; perturb its stats in a series of tradeoffs (add speed/reduce damage, add reach/reduce speed, whatever) until it fills a niche that isn't currently available.

That's why I say just have the community crowdsource a fitness algorithm, then all stat perturbations could be performed parametrically. i.e. decide that 1 swing damage, 5cm reach, 2 thrust, and 1 speed are all of equal "value" (made up numbers, but you get the idea).

Off topic, but I also think the entire world should work this way. For instance, the NCAA tournament selection committee should decide before the season on a "merit" algorithm (other than the RPI), then no human bias can influence the final results/seeding. Humans are good at formulating sound math, and bad at making unbiased decisions, so sometimes we have to let math make our decisions for us.