Author Topic: Bow Missile Speed  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
Bow Missile Speed
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:52:08 am »
+2
Alright... I don't really play archer or anything so maybe this was done for balance or something but...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

How the fuck is a tiny ass nomad bow with like 50lb draw or some shit going to propel an arrow significantly faster than a long bow with 180+lb draw. Seriously. What the fuck?

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Bow Missile Speed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:10:14 am »
Considering that in Warband missile speed = range...
Everyone knows that nomad bows are known for their exceptional range, unlike those pesky longbows. Right?

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:19:24 am »
The new missile speeds simulate arrow weight. Imagine the nomad bow shoots very light arrows, hence has a high missle speed but has a low kinetic impact. The longbow shoots very heavy but slower arrows, therefore more damage.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:41 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)
vs
(click to show/hide)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:48:56 am »
I am just repeating what Devs said on several occasions. They are aware that the missile weight is the same on paper, hence it simulates different missile weights.

I was suggesting to add some actual differences in missile weight some days ago when I heard it. http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/loving-that-every-bow-is-now-useable/msg815628/#msg815628

Of course at first glance those new stats look rather weird but if you would stick to the "more missile speed - more damage = less drawspeed" there would be no way to add much variety to bows. I think it was a quite creative balancing attempt.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:05 am »
maximum spring speed - one material (wooden) bows - composite bows

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:22 am »
like i said... im no archer and i dont know if those stats translate into actual crpg... but it sure looks goofy on paper. i would think longbows fire arrows a hell of a lot faster.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 10:54:31 am »
You are wrong. Longbows were one material bows and their maximum launch speed was very limited due the low maximum spring speed of the wood. Composite bows achieved much higher velocities (with light arrows). The advantage of the long bow, apart from being rather robust in wet weather, was that they could shoot heavy war arrows near their speed limit(about 60m/s I think) when they had a high poundage. But when decreasing the weight of the projectiles the launch speed stopped increasing at some point because of the limited maximum spring speed of the bow.
This upper limit was higher for multi material composite bows or steel bows(crossbow). They could achieve higher projectile speeds at the same draw weight with lowering the arrow/bolt weight. They ultimately run into a wall too at some point.

In cRPG we just have to image that the projectile weight is directly linked to the launcher because of the limitations of the Warband engine. Unfortunatly we can't have different arrow types lead to different projectile speeds or disallow arrows for some bows afaik.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:59:05 am by Paul »