Author Topic: Read this before posting anything to do with game balance!  (Read 447 times)

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
Read this before posting anything to do with game balance!
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »
What people need to realise BEFORE posting complaining about another build that they don't play as, or that their own build is not powerful enough, is that noone is meant to be a super soldier. Before you complain about archers being too accurate or powerful, consider that you may have run towards them in a blatant fashion, made yourself a visible threat, or that the archer who shot you is very good at what they do.
This applies to everyone. In the old Mount and Blade, Swadian Knights would beat most other units except for a cluster of Rhodok Sargeants. Nords suck against Khergits. Etc. You can't beat everyone.

People usually forget that this game is, in the main, a team game. Which means you need to think about your role and others before taking people on. Don't charge in with no cover (physical or archer-fire) if you have no shield. Don't spread out in a field if you hate cavalry. And run away if you are a ranged troop against a pure melee troop!

Basically, use common sense, because there are a hell of a lot of complaint posts with no logical explanation, and I consider that spam in this forum, which i usually browse for interesting game developments and the like, but when I DO want to look up nonsensical spam I go to the SPAM BOARD!!!!!!! Thank you.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Ichi_Uiabuu

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Read this before posting anything to do with game balance!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:11:59 pm »
People usually forget that this game is, in the main, a team game. Which means you need to think about your role and others before taking people on. Don't charge in with no cover (physical or archer-fire) if you have no shield. Don't spread out in a field if you hate cavalry. And run away if you are a ranged troop against a pure melee troop!

And if you're a hybrid character, delete your guy and re-roll!  Simple!

Offline Kherr

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Kherr
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:14:41 pm »
Tomas... there are different levels of balance.

At first you have to ensure that no weapon class is overpowered compared to the other classes. So e.g. you have to ensure there are not only archer, but also cav, 2h, 1h,... Each class must be viable.

2nd you should have a balance within the weapon class. There should be no weapon within a weapon class which is used significantly more than an other weapon of the same class. You could see that problem with the sword of cookies a few months ago... a lot of 2h used that.

Each class has a counterpart. So 2h cannot do much against archer and so on. So you need a few guys from each class. If one class is overpowered you will have too many of that and not enough guys from other classes... no classes, no team.

There are only a few devs, but thousands of player. I am sure the crowd of player will find every advantage and disadvantage of every weapon.

So... you are right. We should play as a team. But you need balanced classes with balanced weapons to build a team.

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
Tomas... there are different levels of balance.

At first you have to ensure that no weapon class is overpowered compared to the other classes. So e.g. you have to ensure there are not only archer, but also cav, 2h, 1h,... Each class must be viable.

2nd you should have a balance within the weapon class. There should be no weapon within a weapon class which is used significantly more than an other weapon of the same class. You could see that problem with the sword of cookies a few months ago... a lot of 2h used that.

Each class has a counterpart. So 2h cannot do much against archer and so on. So you need a few guys from each class. If one class is overpowered you will have too many of that and not enough guys from other classes... no classes, no team.

There are only a few devs, but thousands of player. I am sure the crowd of player will find every advantage and disadvantage of every weapon.

So... you are right. We should play as a team. But you need balanced classes with balanced weapons to build a team.
That is true. The main point of my thread is to get people to think before they post, and a lot of people are posting the kinds of things I said due to the new thread. But your post should also be considered too.
Professional poop cleaner