Author Topic: Cavalry balance  (Read 679 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Cavalry balance
« on: March 23, 2013, 04:35:11 am »
+5
Hey, I can understand that a low speed horse wouldn't get a knockdown against a player on foot, but to make them not able to get by that player as if they were a brick wall is a bit excessive. Put any human on the planet in front of a horse and see if they don't at least get pushed out of the way when a horse wants to walk past.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
Re: Cavalry balance
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 06:29:13 am »
While you are undeniably right we should still ask the devs which philosophy they are following there (if any  :P ). For example they could consider bump-knockdowns a feature only available to the more expensive horses.

Your point is realism based, after all, and that's not the best balancing philosophy, obviously. I guess they wanted the sumpter to be not more than a means for transportation only.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 06:41:58 am »
True, but it seems like a mechanics change. I am a rouncey user, and I prefer this compared to 5kmh knockdowns. An easier way to slide past enemies even if not interrupted.

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:10 am »
+1

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
You cant bump people anymore at low speeds ?

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:55 pm »
i am guessing that the ability to bump someone (not knock down) is also related to charge.  by lowering charge across the board they gimped cav a lot by letting them get stuck way too easy if at low speeds.  would be great if the bump and knock down feature could be seperated.  a horse should always get past a single man.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 04:02:35 pm »
i am guessing that the ability to bump someone (not knock down) is also related to charge.  by lowering charge across the board they gimped cav a lot by letting them get stuck way too easy if at low speeds.  would be great if the bump and knock down feature could be seperated.  a horse should always get past a single man.

Exactly. If you are coming in to assist your team and take a swipe at the enemy, if you are going too slow you run the risk of getting stuck spinning around trying to find an opening between enemy and teammates and if they are strafing around it prevents you from moving as if you were surrounded by a a brick wall.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:02:14 am »
How about just not riding into people unless you're riding fullspeed? l2ride.

And for the record I ride a steppe horse.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 06:09:16 am by Zlisch_The_Butcher »
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »
Yes, as far as I know the charge damage of a horse determins how well it can knock down people, and at which speed.

I guess the devs want the light horses to be ONLY for transportation means, which means you ride by your opponent, but you are NOT supposed to knock him over with it or damage him. Which is, on one hand, understandable logic. I don't see why someone should be able to not only move through a bunch of enemies, even if they don't see him, but also to knock them down or damage him. And all that would require it was pressing W. If you see it from this point, the bump damage nerf is reasonable.

But if this is the case, I'd like to see a general upkeep reduction for at least light horses. The upkeep used to contain their bumping potential, and as it's gone now the upkeep should be adjusted. About 20-30% less would be resonable, I guess.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »
Loomed light horses can still knock down fairly easily, just not ridiculously easily, and you do get stuck when trying to slow down around teammates and such. However, in my opinion, it's not even that bad. If anything, it's much easier to bump lance nowadays because of that. I will still be using and performing decently well with the rouncey.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 04:13:31 pm »
+1
I did some tests myself with various horses. It's probably a bit too easy to get your horse stopped, but it certainly separates heavy cav from light cav, and adds an additional aspect of difficulty to the class. Unfortunately, Warband doesn't use physics to decide when a horse should be stopped and instead uses charge, among other things.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 02:45:41 pm »
+1
Yeah it would be nice if it just used the "interrupt" motion when you try to move past/through someone at a slow speed.  Any horse should be able to walk forward and bump/move someone out of the way...these things weigh 4 or 5 times as much as anyone on the battlefield.  Not sure if that's possible with WSE2 or Warband engine though.

I do like the changed charge stats, I just don't like that your horse can get stuck behind a person and physically can't move passed them. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Yeah it would be nice if it just used the "interrupt" motion when you try to move past/through someone at a slow speed.  Any horse should be able to walk forward and bump/move someone out of the way...these things weigh 4 or 5 times as much as anyone on the battlefield.  Not sure if that's possible with WSE2 or Warband engine though.

I do like the changed charge stats, I just don't like that your horse can get stuck behind a person and physically can't move passed them.

ya had a similar thought.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!