Author Topic: New and more light items choice?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: New and more light items choice?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 12:12:43 am »
Just a note on the picture. The method I used to create it relies on having transparency in the banner texture itself, and chadz has mentioned in IRC that this is currently not feasible, because it would lead to problems when the banner is displayed in other places, and it would make the banner creation process more complicated.

It is still possible to make the tabard and other cloth armors heraldic, but they will have ugly seams where the banner texture meets with the normally colored area. This shouldn't be a problem, though, since we have that with the normal heraldic armors, too, since a patch sometime in autumn: http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/revert-heraldic-mails-to-native/msg683737/#msg683737

Maybe if I regain some motivation I will look into the issue again, because frankly, I am quite annoyed by those seams and don't really understand why they appear at all. Perhaps there is a way to get rid of them.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Zox_Fury

• Baron
  • Renown: 142
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • La illaha il'Allah
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Zox_Fury
  • IRC nick: Zox_Fury
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:27:21 am »
Thanks about it Zag it could be a nice thing if you find an issue to this trouble ... Heraldic is really nice
Subhan'LLAH wa bihamdih

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 02:39:00 am »
I have good and bad news. The bad news is that there is no easy fix for the current native heraldic armors. The good news is that it's indeed possible to have heraldic symbols anywhere on an armor without seams.

The reason for the seams are twofold. Firstly, there is a cloth structure baked into the banners themselves. This cloth structure is also applied to the armor, so that when the symbol is positioned in the native position, it fits right in and there are no seams (at least not due to this cloth structure). However, when the banner is moved (e.g. shifted up to display the symbol on the chest), the cloth structure no longer lines up, and the edges of the banner become visible.

Secondly, and this is the much bigger cause for the seams (the reason why there are seams even in the native positioning on e.g. the left side of the heraldic mail with surcoat), the banner mesh seems to be lit with a point light or something. This causes the symbol area to be lit more brightly than the edges of the mesh, and those darker edges can then be seen against the lighter background of the rest of the armor, if the banner is moved around. With the help of cmp, I have managed to make the banner mesh uniformly lit by inserting this into the respective armor's tableau definition (right before the end):

Code: [Select]
(cur_tableau_set_ambient_light, 999, 999, 999),
Now, if we both remove the cloth structure from the banner and apply this lighting fix, we can make a nice heraldic tabard:

But as I said in the beginning, this doesn't work like that for the native heraldic armors, because they have a very blurry and undetailed base texture, which becomes very obvious if you remove the cloth structure from the banner:

So, what we need to make those armors look good is someone like Zimke to paint some cloth structure into the base texture, then we can apply above described technique to make them look nice.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2013, 05:10:56 pm »
+1
Here's a linen tunic:

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2013, 05:35:34 pm »
So, what we need to make those armors look good is someone like Zimke to paint some cloth structure into the base texture, then we can apply above described technique to make them look nice.
I might try eventually, probably won't though, now that I think about it I guess I haven't even gotten around to fixing the coat of plates for heraldics yet.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 06:15:12 pm »
Well, according to cmp's statement, heraldic coat of plates would probably not make it in the game, ever, anyway, so you might want to skip that.