Author Topic: Equipment Selection  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
Equipment Selection
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:58:45 pm »
I feel like I'm spamming these boards with easy questions, if anyone is annoyed are can point me to guides that answer this stuff, please do and I'll leave you alone.

I just completed my 1st generation and I'm back to scratch.  I have no idea what the next 14 generations are going to be like, but they will probably be different classes and such.  I'm leaning towards a crossbow right now.  I can get a decent build idea here on the forums and character advancement is pretty well taken care of.  The thing that perplexes me now is my inventory.

I didn't really buy much my first go round.  I ended up with a Byrnie, Nordic Huscarl's Helm, Rus Cavalry Boots, and Mail Gauntlets.  I based those off of some suggestions and the fact that I wanted a Norse looking helm, because why not?  My Max Upkeep is about 1,000 and I have 40 head and body armor, and 22 leg.  I don't know how much it helped because I'm horrible at positioning, maybe it was better than the leather armor I was wearing, who knows?

I wanted to see if I could make a change in gear in the next coming generations, if it is wise to.  I have plenty of gold stashed and no idea what to do with it.  I've read some threads and tried to make heads or tails of how gear mechanics work, but still have no idea how to strike a balance.  As far as I know, you lose 1% WPS for every point over 10 weight.  This sounded bad, but I see people sporting plate and what not, shouldn't that be crippling to wear a bit?

Is there some "sweet spot" with gear that I am missing?  I've also noticed some quirks with the gear in this game.  The Byrnie and the Mail Shirt with Fur are identical in every way, except the Mail Shirt weighs 0.1 less, did I miss something?  I'm not going to sweat over the extra weight, but it seemed strange.  The Rus Cavalry Boots also seem to make Leather Boots pointless.

Offline Palurgee

• Duke
  • Renown: 607
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: palurgee, brokeback_mountaineer, denarii
  • IRC nick: palurgee
Re: Equipment Selection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 10:19:23 pm »
Remember that there are weight multipliers depending on what you're wearing. As a ranged class, head armor weight is multiplied by two, hand armor by four, foot and body armor by one.

Now that I think of it, that quirk with the Mail Shirt with Fur and the Byrnie is a bit odd. As for the Rus Cavalry and Leather boots, they have different prices, even if its very little.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:09 am »
+8
Think of armour as a series of levels, based upon how many average hits in melee it takes to kill you:

Body armour (gloves included):

1-hit armour - Up to about 25 Body Armour
 - Most things will one-hit-kill you
 - Ranged will chew you up
 - Bumps hurt a lot
 - No WPF penalty

2-hit armour - Around 30-40 Body
 - Less likely to be hit than the 1-hit armour, because you are not dressed like a peasant
 - Ranged still hurts
 - Bumps don't hurt too bad
 - Minimal WPF penalty (body armour weight will be about the highest you want for archery)

3-hit armour - Around 40-55 Body
 - Melee will start to glance on you if you can avoid their speed bonus
 - Ranged don't want to shoot you
 - Bumps are mostly ignorable
 - WPF loss is increasing, inadvisable level of armour for ranged

4-hit armour - 55-65 Body
 - Lots of glances
 - Non-heirloomed archers, sub-5 Power Throw throwers, and Light Crossbows will be ignorable damage
 - WPF loss is significant, you will swing slower than the other guy

5 or more-hit armour - 65+ Body
 - Everything glances if you can use your momentum correctly
 - Ranged ignorable unless you get shot in the face while running at them (assuming you have 55+ helmet on)
 - Massive WPF loss, equivalent of a few Weapon Master skillpoints

Helmets:
Light (up to 25 Head Armour)
 - Less likely to be insta-killed by melee swings
 - Ranged is still a headshot kill in most cases
 - Minimal WPF loss, probably the most you'll want as ranged

Medium (25-45)
 - Will save your ass from ranged time and time again
 - Can take a few face hits in melee
 - Pretty big WPF hit

Heavy (50+)
 - Most ranged survivable or even ignorable except the high-end throwers and Arbalests
 - Glance point for melee
 - Large WPF loss

Boots - Wear about the same as your body armour for infantry.  Less as ranged, more as cavalry, salt to taste.

As for heirlooming your stuff:

Gloves - Your best option to self-loom.  Always tradeable (except the Heavy, max-armour ones).  Mail Mittens are a solid choice, usable by all classes (and peasants).

Body - Only self-loom shit you want to keep or know you can trade away down the line (ie no plate, samurai shit, peasant armour).  Best to try and buy a +1 armour within the range you want.  Byrnie is a great option, great light-medium armour that is usable by all classes (not great for cav though).

Helmet - Self-looming is pretty much your only option.  Makes a HUGE difference with a heavy helmet, negligible results for light and medium.  Don't loom until you've got body, weapons, gloves, horse (if applicable).

Boots - Same as helmet, except leaning more towards cavalry players, who will notice the most difference in survivability (and again, only at the upper echelons of footwear armour values).

Other random tips:

- Plate armour is underrated if you can learn to counter speed bonus momentum.
- Wear less armour if you have a shield.
- Only trade armour for armour (body for body, gloves for gloves, etc).  It can be tricky to re-aquire armour slot heirlooms, and they make a big difference.
- Wearing more armour could mean you earn more multipliers, so heavy armour isn't just for "special occasions."  Plate is financially viable as long as you aren't using horses, poleaxes, or greatswords.
- In case you missed it above, range are far less inclined to shoot the guy in heavier armour.  Wear more than the guy next to you, and they shoot him.

Upon reflection, I should have just wrote a guide section post.

Offline Jarold

• Marshall
  • Renown: 987
  • Infamy: 142
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Always wear more armor than the guy next to you."
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarold
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 01:01:19 am »
+1
That's some good info oohillac, I like your saying, "always wear more armor than the guy next you." Well maybe it wasn't word for word but eh.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »
If your main weapon is a xbow then loom that first or steel bolts, although you should really sell the loom points and buy the item as that always works out cheaper. As a rule of thumb one masterwork item is worth about 2/3 of it's cost in loom points. So sell 3 loompoints and you get 1 MW + 400k about if you don't loom yourself

I recommend against maining as xbow though, unless you particularly enjoy it. There isn't much room to grow as a player if you go down that route. Suck it up and work out why you aren't doing so well, and if you really can't improve then go xbow

If you have quite a hybrid style then you can get +3 gloves first, body armour or +3 melee weapon. Helmet and boots are the last thing to loom (or don't ever loom them, just wear more expensive versions if you need more armour there)

If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »
+1
Go here : http://alpha-lider19.ru/MB/
And click on "Melee Damage Calc".

That will open up an area to put in weights of your worn armor and it will tell you what your new effective wpf is.  As long as its over 100 you are good to go.
If you have like 140 or so wpf you can wear pretty heavy armor and still be over 100 effective.

---

Really in the end it comes down to trying it, and feeling it.  You can play numbers all day long but sometimes its a big deal in game and sometimes you dont notice it at all...its weird.

Also, not all the gear is "useful".  Some stuff is the same weight and more armor, etc.  Its just how it is.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE