Author Topic: Possible solution to closed borders : lower PP cost for taxes  (Read 359 times)

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Possible solution to closed borders : lower PP cost for taxes
« on: January 31, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »
+6
Price, discounts, loom level, prosperity : the PP cost is fine (even though there should be an option to "reset" individual parts of them, and not the whole fief all the time)

Taxes PP price is a bit high (5 PP per -/+ 1% ), but anyway you dont even care about modifying it for multiple reasons.

I detail my point here:
(click to show/hide)

When you take into account that, increasing the tax (extremely costy PP-wise) to an efficient level is not enough to bring money, you have to increase/decrease the price (extremely costy PP-wise), then also increase prosperity (moderately costy PP-wise)... you come to the unevitable conclusion : better close my border and employ watchful trigger-happy sentries.

The worst effect of this is that factionless/neutral traders just cant play this game if they dont have buddies on strat, or look long and hard to find a trade agreement (that will probably dont give them more than 1/3 of what they earn). Then most "solo" guys just cant compete in this game and quit : less players, less fun. Even "bandits" factions have a real hard time playing strategus, if they dont have a big faction backing them up.

The 2 alternative ideas/solutions:

(click to show/hide)

Then it will become smarter to just define any commercial policy. One of those commercial policy would be "open borders for all, but you have to pay some tax first!".
Then you could even have a kind of "struggle" between factions/fiefs for who have the best prosperity/tax ratio ? Atm the only thing factions/fiefs are struggling for is emptying their own S&D before someone else does! And thats normal under the current situation.

Personally I think its too human intensive to have sentries looking for trade robbers, and would definitely open my borders if I had a good way to make sure that if a foreigner wants to trade, I get a nice fat cut for my hard-earned prosperity. Then it would not mean that I let my enemies trade inside my fiefs, so commercial raiding + its evil twin the trader killer will still exist  :D  But it would not be the end all be all of today

Possible problems:
(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:32:19 pm by Butan »

Offline buba

• Count
  • Renown: 193
  • Infamy: 33
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Buba_theVagabond
Re: Possible solution to closed borders : lower PP cost for taxes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:06:53 pm »
Good ideas.
I hope a strat dev will pick this up and at least give you some feedback.
I dont mind defending my S&D, I think its a fun thing to do.
But it does kill off any independents out there.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Possible solution to closed borders : lower PP cost for taxes
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 11:47:18 am »
you OPEN YOUR BORDERS = congratulations, you are a selfless moron good person, but you will not have a lot of money

Apostates have dhirim area as free trade.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

But what you say is true, most factions can't afford to open their borders, or even a part of it.

If tax increase would be cheaper, i wouldn't mind raising it and opening my borders...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login