Author Topic: Overhead blocked by teammate who is standing behind a player  (Read 867 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 693
  • Infamy: 363
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Overhead blocked by teammate who is standing behind a player
« on: February 03, 2013, 02:46:31 am »
+8
Please fix this. It is an issue for most long weapons, however 2D polearms which main feature is overhead and not stab are almost unusable because of this. There is always a teammate behind, usually a shielder, who stops a overhead mid swing. You have made life easier for 1H players, allowing higher turn rate. You have buffed less used two handed weapons but have completely forgot to fix weapons you've completely ruined with turn rate nerf.

I'm not asking for higher turn rate for those weapons, I'm simply asking for useful overhead.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: Overhead blocked by teammate who is standing behind a player
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 01:38:02 pm »
+3
2d polearms really need some love :(
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »
+1
you have no idea how annoying that with long maul is..

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1793
  • Infamy: 701
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 03:07:45 pm »
+1
Long Maul is a special case of 4D polearm which is so slow that it can be considered as 2D polearm :lol:

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 10:56:16 pm »
+3
this issue should've been fixed for all weapons a long time ago, really.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 11:00:21 pm »
no but you see earlier hit activation on the backswing of every weapon colliding off teammates and terrain is ~~fun and we should be in awe of cmp's technical virtuosity and vision
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 218
  • Infamy: 407
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 11:12:29 pm »
+2
Well, weapons colliding with environment and swings being stopped by teammate who stand beside a player does make sense and it is realistic (personally I'm not a fan of this) but overhead shouldn't work like that because real warriors aren't morons to put a weapon in such position where it would get stuck or collide with something behind them.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 11:39:05 pm »
+1
It happens a lot with 1h weapons too, as ridiculous as this may sound.

The way weapons collide on objects should be looked at too. 2h can sideswing through walls just fine.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:15 pm »
+1
+1

That weapon collision is on at all times during an overhead swing sounds good on paper but is a nuisance in practice.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Silveredge

• Count
  • Renown: 190
  • Infamy: 41
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Silveredge
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:00 pm »
This is not an issue in my opinion, there are ups and downs to each weapon.  If we remove all of the downsides to weapons it's an overall change in balance.  That aspect of a small weapon's strength would be gone.  There would be no advantage to moving into a tight corridor to fight a player(s) that wield huge polearms.  Or using footwork to make groups of enemies crowd each other, allowing you to survive.

With this change, you're just going to have a huge group of lemmings swinging weapons all over without a care in the world.  There would be no demand for player accuracy or awareness of their environment.  I can see where this would frustrate newer players, just like it frustrated me.  But after becoming very familiar with each aspect of the game you begin to see the necessity of it, and actually start enjoying the challenge behind mastering it.  These difficulties existed in massive medieval combat.  This is why the game is so simple, yet so deep.  It's why it is the game we love to hate.

This would be a bad change.

...because real warriors aren't morons to put a weapon in such position where it would get stuck or collide with something behind them.

Exactly what I'm trying to get at, players don't start off as amazing warriors.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:18:42 pm by Silveredge »

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:11:42 am »
+1
This is not an issue in my opinion, there are ups and downs to each weapon.  If we remove all of the downsides to weapons it's an overall change in balance.  That aspect of a small weapon's strength would be gone.  There would be no advantage to moving into a tight corridor to fight a player(s) that wield huge polearms.  Or using footwork to make groups of enemies crowd each other, allowing you to survive.

With this change, you're just going to have a huge group of lemmings swinging weapons all over without a care in the world.  There would be no demand for player accuracy or awareness of their environment.  I can see where this would frustrate newer players, just like it frustrated me.  But after becoming very familiar with each aspect of the game you begin to see the necessity of it, and actually start enjoying the challenge behind mastering it.  These difficulties existed in massive medieval combat.  This is why the game is so simple, yet so deep.  It's why it is the game we love to hate.

This would be a bad change.

Exactly what I'm trying to get at, players don't start off as amazing warriors.
The thread is more about being unable to perform overheads with polearms, because teammates, usually shielders, are too stupid to keep some distance behind you - which in case of long maul means, that death is quite certain.. He could as well just stab me in the back :D.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 02:14:41 am »
+1
The way weapons collide on objects should be looked at too. 2h can sideswing through walls just fine.

No, they can't. They're better than polearms in tight areas, sure, but 1H is the best, like it should be.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 12:27:39 pm »
+2
No, they can't. They're better than polearms in tight areas, sure, but 1H is the best, like it should be.
Have you played siege lately? It's shit easy to swing through doors, walls and other "solid" objects with my 2h.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 12:54:39 pm »
Please fix this. It is an issue for most long weapons, however 2D polearms which main feature is overhead and not stab are almost unusable because of this. There is always a teammate behind, usually a shielder, who stops a overhead mid swing. You have made life easier for 1H players, allowing higher turn rate. You have buffed less used two handed weapons but have completely forgot to fix weapons you've completely ruined with turn rate nerf.

I'm not asking for higher turn rate for those weapons, I'm simply asking for useful overhead.

what do u care u quit the game.  :twisted:
trust no one, question everything

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:51 am »

1h are best because they are a healthy 30 units shorter. That does not change the fact that 2h and polearms can swing with their weapon models phasing through walls, whereas 1h can not, or significantly less, especially on the right swing.