Author Topic: Time's End  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Time's End
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 05:54:20 am »
The Y2K things had no basis in reality since almost no software/hardware had anything special happening in 2000. The Y2038 problem, now that one is real, and already starts happening with programs using future dates.

Btw, 1 hour and 29 minutes into friday here, still nothing happening.

Sorry buddy. All as a result of the Y2K. 2 people were killed as a result.

In Sheffield, United Kingdom, incorrect Down syndrome test results were sent to 154 pregnant women and two abortions were carried out as a direct result of a Y2K bug. Four Down's syndrome babies were also born to mothers who had been told they were in the low-risk group.[24]
    In Ishikawa, Japan, radiation-monitoring equipment failed at midnight; however, officials stated there was no risk to the public.[25]
    In Onagawa, Japan, an alarm sounded at a nuclear power plant at two minutes after midnight.[25]
    In Japan, at two minutes past midnight, Osaka Media Port, a telecommunications carrier, found errors in the date management part of the company's network. The problem was fixed by 02:43 and no services were disrupted.[26]
    In Japan, NTT Mobile Communications Network (NTT DoCoMo), Japan's largest cellular operator, reported on 1 January 2000, that some models of mobile telephones were deleting new messages received, rather than the older messages, as the memory filled up.[26]
    In Australia, bus-ticket-validation machines in two states failed to operate.[27]
    In the United States, 150 slot machines at race tracks in Delaware stopped working.[27]
    In the United States, the U.S. Naval Observatory, which runs the master clock that keeps the country's official time, gave the date on its website as 1 Jan., 19100.[28]
    In France, the national weather forecasting service, Meteo France, said a Y2K bug made the date on a webpage show a map with Saturday's weather forecast as "01/01/19100".[27] This also occurred on other websites, including att.net, at the time a general-purpose portal site primarily for AT&T Worldnet customers in the United States.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:47 am »
+2
no time for worlds end, i need to plan strat moves, cya later ...
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Malak_Dawnfire

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Malak_Dawnfire_HREr
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2012, 12:22:31 pm »
World has ended here in America, spent too much time drinking last night and now need to go to the doctors after being up for 24 hours!  :mrgreen:

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »
+1
Sigh :/ No end of the world. I had hoped for it lol.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 04:49:29 pm »
Sorry buddy. All as a result of the Y2K. 2 people were killed as a result.

Systems designed by scrubs. I mean it's quite telling that of all OS companies, Microsoft wasn't using a datetime format based on seconds up until 95 iirc.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »
Systems designed by scrubs. I mean it's quite telling that of all OS companies, Microsoft wasn't using a datetime format based on seconds up until 95 iirc.

Still completely based in reality. So what were you trying to say? "Mayan prophesy" wasn't even a Mayan prophesy.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 05:36:38 pm »
Still completely based in reality. So what were you trying to say? "Mayan prophesy" wasn't even a Mayan prophesy.

The huge fuzz about Y2K (okay, not as huge as this one) wasn't justified, this one of course isn't either.

Btw abortions motivated by false positive Downs syndrome tests are hardly countable, as babies that actually have Downs die this way too.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 11:15:17 pm »
Really trying to stick to your guns are you?

Oh geez, those 2 deaths don't count enough to claim it was based in reality, even if it did happen because of Y2K; because babies would have died anyhow.

Except not those two babies.  :rolleyes:

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 02:42:15 am »
Not sure what you were doing on Sylvester 1999 -_-
I was checking systems we prepped the last 2 months so no Y2k shitstorm would happen ^^
I know from a lot of IT buddies that they also were either in their companies controlling if the reworks did what they supposed to do or at least were on emergency call. So out of my perspective, that Y2k wasn't an issue in the most cases, also was due to some people having the foresight to start with projects in time to get rid of those bad code segments.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 08:06:39 am »
I was checking systems we prepped the last 2 months so no Y2k shitstorm would happen ^^
I know from a lot of IT buddies that they also were either in their companies controlling if the reworks did what they supposed to do or at least were on emergency call. So out of my perspective, that Y2k wasn't an issue in the most cases, also was due to some people having the foresight to start with projects in time to get rid of those bad code segments.
author=Kafein link=topic=43324.msg680411#msg680411 date=1356049803]
The Y2K things had no basis in reality since almost no software/hardware had anything special happening in 2000.

How thick are you guys? It STILL had a basis in REALITY whereas the Mayan *prophecy* had NONE.  If it didn't then why did you spend 2 months checking over your systems?? 2 people died as a direct result of it. 4 parents are living the rest of their lives knowing they don't have their kids because of a computer software glitch directly caused by the Y2K bug. Pretty damn real to them...

Offline kinngrimm

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2012, 08:35:17 am »
There had been some press releases, that there had been bug fixes in water supply IT Software, Energy related Software, traffic ... wth there had been bugfixes onto that particular problem since 1998 when it first came to surface.
If that would have been ignored all, there may had been more damage, but it wasn't so it is anyhow all mute speculation.

The Maya prophecy ... *yawn* really ... you know guys, we are all more or less superstitious and if it is only the uncertainty like with all things you can't proof but are more or less based on some obscure belief, it is mostly BS.
Even religions have more substance, as those at least provide humanity with a moral compass(good or bad that is for you to decide)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:20 pm »
Not to mention that isn't it not actually the end of their calender like everyone says? Apparently it just ticks over into the 14th B'ak'tun or something.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 01:11:28 pm »
Not to mention that isn't it not actually the end of their calender like everyone says? Apparently it just ticks over into the 14th B'ak'tun or something.

The mayan calendar "overflows" goes back to start a new cycle, just like you would expect.

Seems like a implementation issue to me, I'm not blaming anyone but making Y2K compliant software isn't hard. It wasn't hard pre 2000 either. What type of code relied on <2000 dates anyway ? Date display ?

Really trying to stick to your guns are you?

Oh geez, those 2 deaths don't count enough to claim it was based in reality, even if it did happen because of Y2K; because babies would have died anyhow.

Except not those two babies.  :rolleyes:

Well okay but anyhow Y2k wasn't nearly as deadly as it first sounded in the media (planes crashing midair, nuclear plants exploding etc.)