Author Topic: Changing of the Guard in the UFC  (Read 562 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Changing of the Guard in the UFC
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »
Is anyone watching the UFC except me?

In case you're watching it... legendary BJ Penn vs Rory MacDonald. Especially the 2nd round.

There is this 23yrs old kid beating up a Hall-of-Famer like it was a walk in the park. I was really impressed.

Try to find it and watch. Was on the latest "UFC on Fox"...
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
Re: Changing of the Guard in the UFC
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:11:46 am »
Not everyone can be Randy Couture.

I hadn't paid attention and didn't know it was on Fox until the last fight. Benson Henderson was very impressive. Nate Diaz impressed me with the beating he took and still stayed in there trying for submissions. I'm betting he goes heavy on the strength conditioning after that fight.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:40 am »
Not everyone can be Randy Couture.

I hadn't paid attention and didn't know it was on Fox until the last fight. Benson Henderson was very impressive. Nate Diaz impressed me with the beating he took and still stayed in there trying for submissions. I'm betting he goes heavy on the strength conditioning after that fight.
BJ Penn isn't a nobody tho. Champion in 2 different weight classes, Jiu-Jitsu World Champion... and before the fight, he was like "I gonna show them that I am still a force to reckon with." - FAIL. He got beaten up badly by that Canadian kid. And MacDonald did an awesome job. Stayed calm even when Penn was really wobbly after an elbow... For someone that young - really impressive.

And yea, the whole had great fights. Henderson was very impressive too. Taking out that lead leg made it pretty easy in the stand-up I figure. And avoiding Diaz' boxing was probably the key. I don't think that conditioning was an issue for Diaz though, he's a triathlete. Got beaten by the bigger - sure - but with a smart game plan.

And then there was Gustafson, the Swede. I was really surprised by that skinny dude dominating Shogun Hua. Nothing I expected.

Overall a great show! And luckily not a bloody mess. Don't like the bloody fights, rather enjoy technical fights.

And the UFC goes female  :shock: Wonder how that is going to pan out?
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 01:23:54 am »
BJ Penn isn't a nobody tho.

Yeah, but a couple things. I always felt he was inconsistent in his performances and got beat by Jens Pulver. He also came up before I feel the weight class(es) really got any depth. They suspended the lightweight division after Jens left. He beat Matt Hughes, but really I can't say Matt Hughes is just totally awesome either. Losses to St. Pierre and Nick Diaz. The most impressive fight was against Diego Garcia. He really looked very good there. But again, back to inconsistency, which was Dana White's problem with him too. Except Dana blames the inconsistency on a lack of dedication. So really, I'm not surprised at all. Plus, he's had 4 years to try to take St. Pierre's title. What has he been doing? He fought at light heavyweight, so it isn't as though Welterweight is too heavy for him. My answer? When the weight classes got competitive, he faded.

And yea, the whole had great fights. Henderson was very impressive too. Taking out that lead leg made it pretty easy in the stand-up I figure. And avoiding Diaz' boxing was probably the key. I don't think that conditioning was an issue for Diaz though, he's a triathlete. Got beaten by the bigger - sure - but with a smart game plan.

Yeah, I wasn't talking about his conditioning, I'm talking about his ability to take a beating like that and still keep going (there's a difference between conditioning and toughness). So he has the conditioning, and the toughness, but he simply wasn't strong enough to take Henderson, who is just as skilled. Not to mention that he simply couldn't get his submissions. Henderson was, for a lack of a better word, too damn greasy for any holds to stick.  :lol:

Females in the UFC? Same problem the UFC had early with certain weight classes. Not enough depth out there to support it. What you will end up seeing is expanded weight classes with obvious mismatches, which is what has plagued Females in any league. You get a girl who fights at 125 and is at her natural weight, goes up against a girl who weighs 140-145, drops the water weight to hit 125 at weigh-in, and then comes back on fight day with a 15-20 lb advantage. Sure, guys can do the same thing, but you are talking weight closer to 180-205 lbs where you see that much weight gain/loss. It means less as you get higher in weight, as there is only so much water weight you can drop and regain that quickly. For the guys, it is like fighting someone 1 weight class higher than you. For females it will be closer to welterweight fighting a light heavyweight.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kirbyy

• Count
  • Renown: 286
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player
  • Hi guys
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Malta 4 lyfe.
  • Game nicks: Kirby, ynyng
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 01:38:59 am »
+1
Why am I reading this... :?

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 06:28:54 am »
+1
Why am I reading this... :?

Because you like half-naked men sweating and grunting and beating each other?