Author Topic: Strat Sieges and Spawn Flags  (Read 328 times)

Offline Uumdi

• Duke
  • Renown: 651
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Ready to Die
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Uumdi_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: Uumdi
Strat Sieges and Spawn Flags
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:43 pm »
+2
Strategus's major flaws lie in the spawn flags and the defective siege gear.  In another thread discussing how spawns and respawns are addressed, several people brought up good points.  This idea just came to mind, so I'm just hoping for discussion, rather than a Yes or No.

We play strat battles for large-scale battles that consist of utilizing tactics, choke points, and various equipment loadouts to appropriately handle opponents in multiple settings.  Right now, castles are the point of interest, and struggles lie around buggy siege equipment, towers that don't break, walls that never fall, ladders that need to be placed in silly ways to avoid being tickled apart by long spears, and capping spawn flags with the same action button that picks up the dozens of littered weapons that decorate the numerous bodies on the floor.

To repost what I said elsewhere,

(click to show/hide)

Furthermore, I had in mind a potential change to spawn flags.  Zones of control, or control points rather than spawn flags might be an effective means to fight over a castle.  I'd hate to see it simplified to taking point A, B, and C, but there could be a number of them, up to 5 or 6 even, for each of the important walls, the front, middle, and rear courtyard, and each one takes down all the flags as one cluster.  Siege would be a better game mode if all flags had to be taken down instead of just the one in the center of a tower or courtyard, and we wouldn't see the same 10 athletics character make a break and put up half the flags, completely undoing the past 40 minute struggle.  You also won't see the same potential abuse where you can't capture a flag because someone is hiding on the upper floor, or in unreachable places.

Again, just a suggestion.  The amount of hours of work to make these changes would be outrageous.  I don't want my suggestion to come true, I want someone with a better idea to step forward and put us in the right direction; one that leans toward making village fights more favorable and castle sieges more fun and interesting, because right now open field battles have been the most dynamic, which is the least this game has to offer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ten shots of prayers, ten shots a day
A shot of thrill to hide the pain.
They can`t win, they just don`t cry,
The troopers know they live to die.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
Re: Strat Sieges and Spawn Flags
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:11:19 pm »
Siege equipment works just fine.
Yes its sometimes hard to handle, but a little practice with them and you won't have any problems.

As far as the spawning problem, please get all flags inside the map borders, 4/5 of all battles when the defending side finally gets the enemy's flags down, there are 1-2 flags outside the border of the map, its annoying. Let cav just spawn with hte inf as before, those separate spawns don't work properly.

Siege would be a better game mode if all flags had to be taken down instead of just the one in the center of a tower or courtyard, and we wouldn't see the same 10 athletics character make a break and put up half the flags, completely undoing the past 40 minute struggle.

This is no longer related to strategus, since there are loads of flags in all of the sieges there, not just 1.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login