Author Topic: Critical Mass and Server Pop  (Read 722 times)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Critical Mass and Server Pop
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:16:26 am »
+13
Reference material :arrow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_mass_(sociodynamics)

Critical Mass as far as it pertains to sociodynamics (like our game here and its servers) can by applied to the way that servers fill up (or do not), and can teach us some things.

:arrow: If an empty server continually is passed over because it is empty, it will never generate enough players to "not be empty" and therefore will never reach Critical Mass - having enough population to create self sustaining growth.

:arrow: If we, as players, want a particular server to be populated, the BEST thing we can do is to JOIN IT and STAY IN IT (especially if you have a small group of players with you).
Even 4-6 people makes a server not "empty" and therefore could generate interest from additional players and finally reach a population level where the server's pop reaches Critical Mass and is then "self sustaining".

So if you find yourself saying "I wish X Server had people in it"....GET IN THERE, and stay until more people show up.  This may not always work, but it will work more often then you think, especially if a couple people do that.  This same effect happens in voice chat servers too...

Think of it this way.  If you sign on wanting to play on X Server but its empty, and instead join Y Server....how many other's did the SAME thing you just did.  5?  10?  20?
That's enough to start populating a server
:)

------

Just a thought.
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Nightingale

• Balancer
  • Renown: 925
  • Infamy: 205
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Elderly Woman
  • IRC nick: Nightingale
Re: Critical Mass and Server Pop
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 07:49:17 am »
+4
I miss NA2, save siege!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 07:54:35 am »
+3
This is a great post, though the largest defeat to this is the common mentality "I'm just one person it won't matter if I wait for everyone else to do it."

I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:11 am »
+2
The critical mass, when it comes to servers is the moment when teams start to be "unfair" and no multi is awarded. This helps to depopulate servers and keep small servers depopulated, since right next to you is the big server which gives multi.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:05:27 am »
Keywords for this mod are: GOLD and XP.
cRPG mod is based on that, no matter what people say, "I just want to play for fun, gold is not important ... blah blah." Only high multy is important - a lot of gold to trade and playing in good equipment and high xp for fast leveling, and nothing more. Just remember the servers for the weekend - 200/200. That the server was for three hundred people would be full, why - high multy.
Give players all time x5, team that win get x6, x7 - when loose reset to x5 - servers will be full all time, why - tons of gold and xp. Maybe I will go for lvl 36 :D 
All i want to say is that no one want to play at x1 - x2. Every day I witnessed a lot GTXting and emptying servers because of low multy.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:53 am »
+1
I believe the most damaging thing about the no multi business is putting effort in and only rarely getting the reward. Not being able to reliably upkeep your gear is another.

But if we constantly give out gigantic amounts of gold, that soon becomes the new normal, and play levels fall back to the usual. No multi for small servers drops the amount of gold (and xp) much below normal on the other hand.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 11:01:21 am »
Yesterday, around... I think... 23:30 GMT+1..., EU1 had 27 peeps playing in it and EU2 had 19 or something. It ain't that late and I can easily remember times when EU1 used to have 80+ players around that time of the day.

So, to me it doesn't look like there is a server that needs a population to start with but a mod that isn't that interesting and fun to play any more.

It's not about a specific server being low on players but to me it seems that the overall interest is lacking.

My personal situation is that I log in for 1 hour max and then I am bored. All the time the same maps, the same routine, the same... just the same. There is nothing that surprises, nothing that keeps me motivated. There are lot of things that de-motivate me though... the last players are again 3 archers vs 1 2h, they are still kiting just fine btw, again another round stuck with x1, again the same team-based mistakes that will cost the round again, again killed by someone coming from behind cuz my team-mates don't care to help, again the same boring and annoying things... just everything again and again.

I am not saying that this a problem that everyone has - this is specifically my experience with this game lately and I am just so damn bored by it. The only reason I keep logging from time to time is the folks I know and have fun "spending time with" and having a little chat. So, for me it's rather a graphical chat than a game I actually enjoy.  :oops:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:48 am »
+1
What turns me off servers populated under 30 players is immense impact cav and ranged (around 50% of them atleast) has on the servers, it basically beceomes a shootfest, no place to run, no place to hide.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:38 pm »
On NA side right now, NA1 (battle) usually has like 80+, and then DTV has like 30+, Community (battle) might have 15+ and Siege will either be around 20-30 or it will be EMPTY.

I wrote the original post to refer to filing ANY server, but it was written with NA2 (siege) in mind - because currently there are a lot of "siege players" in other modes because Siege is empty....which is a self-sustaining problem because of the critical mass issue unless players say "ok im gonna sit in an empty server until it fills up" or go into one of the other servers and say "hey siege guys, wanna go play siege?"**

(click to show/hide)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:56 pm »
Other problem right now on Siege is map rotation....something I am going to try to discuss with some of the map dev's....although at this point I fear they do not have access to make the changes anyhow.