Poll

Should we remove the generation bonus and replace base xp at x1 with 2000 xp?

Yes
22 (31.9%)
No, make the bonus be reduced by 3% per gen up to only 1000 base xp.
2 (2.9%)
No, Keep the old system of 10% per gen but with an xp cap.
29 (42%)
No, keep the new system of 3% per gen with a 45% xp cap.
0 (0%)
What is retirement?
3 (4.3%)
Sliding scale of decreasing % xp bonus the higher the gen
12 (17.4%)
Other, please post
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Voting closed: May 07, 2011, 08:26:37 pm

Author Topic: Remove generation xp bonus, 2000 base xp  (Read 845 times)

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Remove generation xp bonus, 2000 base xp
« on: April 30, 2011, 08:24:04 pm »
So I posted this in another thread but I wanted to do a poll and see how many would agree with this idea.  Remove all generation xp bonuses, but raise the base x1 bonus to 2000.  So if you are under gen 11 (newer player) this would be far less of a grind game and would keep your interest and if you are gen 12+ you are still better off then the current system of having max 1450 at x1.  Getting to level 31 and retiring will still take a long time and since heirloom bonuses have been reduced and without an xp bonus we would see a proliferation of alts and newer players. 

Overall older players and newer players would be better off, getting to level 33-35 would still be a nightmare with only 2000 per tick at x1 so you wouldn't be seeing a whole lot of very high level characters.  Instead we would be kind of similar to earlier days where making an alt was more common and you can try different builds and classes without retiring over and over again, but if you want to repeatedly retire for more heirlooms its still a bit of a grind, but viable to new players.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
Re: Remove generation xp bonus, 2000 base xp
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:51:31 pm »
In addition to the submitting a response on the poll, would appreciate insightful comments on why one option is better than another.  Thanks.

Offline Upset_Puppy

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
I am surprised I haven't seen this suggested more in the threads, but I think the best option would be a scaled system of xp boost with leveling.  With a set % boost with every level, you will always have a system of the rich getting richer, while the lower gen's get left behind.  This leads to wanting a xp boost cap so that they can't get too far ahead.  The problem with this is that it creates an endpoint.  There are some people who like a crpg style of game that allows them to grind it out hours and hours a day, and they think they can continue to win something by doing this, whether the think they are more skilled, or just accumulating bragging rights, or something else I'm not really sure.  By put an effective end point, gives people the feeling that they "won" the game, and move on to something else.

Many people value the strategy, team play, and different builds/styles you can play (I would be in this group myself), and the slot changes I think adds value to this group (they are also begging for strategus).  But many others are what I call the cookie group, that like to get rewards (or cookies) for fulfilling certain requirements (whether time, kill totals, whatever).  One possible goal (and being someone else's mod than mine, I do not presume to say what the goal should be) is to give value to each of these groups, which leads to a larger playerbase, which presumably is more fun for everyone.

These numbers are not necessarily meaningful, but just being used as an example.

Base XP: 1000
Gen 2: +10%
Gen 3: +8%
Gen 4: +6%
Gen 5: +4%
Gen 6: +3%
Gen 7: +2%
Gen 8 and above:+1%

This allows for a system which let's new players "catch up" somewhat, while still giving non-stop grinders those cookies that they like.

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:10:33 pm »
maybe give us an 'Other solution, post in thread' option?

I'd say:
gen 1-5: 15% bonus
gen 6-10: 10% bonus
gen 11-15: 5% bonus
Gen 16+: 3% bonus

base exp 1k

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 12:32:18 am »
Like the detailed poll, +1 yes vote.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:28:20 am »
Keep in mind grinders are often not only good because of their OP gear but because they spend a lot of time playing this game. As i started the game 9 Months ago i was one week in nativ and couldn't kill shit. After then playing about 2-3 weeks crpg i made my first kill and told all my friends about it :) . I know i am still not one of the best players, but yesterday after playing about 1560 hours this game i played nativ again since a long time. On a nearly full 200 server i managed to get several times in top 5 on battle mode. So my conclusion, while grinding i got better, which hadn't to do with Master Work weapons or higher levels, but the time i spent playing and learning about the game.

The one thing what worries me and i agree on has to be caped is a state where someone can retire every day or several times a day. Not because he personally has then so much heirloomed items, BUT because in the future he could swarm his clan with heirloomed items and those who benefit from it loose the feeling of the worth of heirloomed items. Thats the only thing which concerns me.

If someone has to invest 1200hours or 1800hours to get to lvl 38, which is not really a big advantage, as there is a skill cap already and the skills themselves had been rearranged in their possibilities i don't think that high lvl characters have so much advantages over lesser lvl characters. I for myself can be useful with lvl 1, effectiv after lvl about 16 and deadly after about lvl 20 with any kind of 1h/shield combination of high tear weapons i can afford heirloomed or not heirloomed.

So there are several concerns we have to include

1-5 generation should experience the full awfulness of being peasent, it is fun and frustrating, after gen 5+ it gets sometimes boring being a peasent.

Base XP: 1000

Gen 2: +10%
Gen 3: +10%
Gen 10: +10%
Gen 11: +10% (combined xp equals + 100%=2000)
Gen 12: +5%
Gen 13: +5%
Gen 14: +5%
Gen 21: +5%(combined xp equals + 150%=2500)
Gen 20+: +0

for grinders like me  with that cap at generation 21 and after we need about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks for one generation. Thats ok for getting heirlooms as WE want them too much to just throw them away to distribute them in the clan or in the community.

If you take the Experience gain calculator http://infinitum.dyndns.org/crpg/calc.htm and have a look at f.e. lvl 38 which is a grinders wet dream lets see what we get there.(gen 42,3x,2500xp)
In my case i want before i go for max lvl another set of armor and perhaps another weapon, that would take me to generation 42 before i can go for max lvl. Pre patch it took me about 4-10 days depending how intensive i was grinding to the next retirement say 7 days. So to 42 are 15 generations and with the decrease lets estimate i only take 5 days in average that would result in 65 days about 2 months before i would have gone to max lvl(now it would take far longer). Then i had to start max lvl grind which would have taken about 1800hours to lvl 38. thats roughly 10 months. But at some time before that i will have a job again at least i hope so :) so lets say between 10 and 20 months for lvl 38 for a grind orgasm. Is it worth it, i dont care if some one wants to shoot into his foot it is his body why should i care.

What would be his OP Character then? 8 more lvls perhaps 9 with skill convertions, you dont want to convert more then 2-4 skillpoints though as 1h/shielder you need those. As an agi whore i could get 10 or perhaps 12 athletics ... zoooom ... or same in shield skill 1-3 more hits on my OP shield from a MW Great Axe haha Meow you took long today to break my shield, but ok i cant block shit without it, i am dead, or in wpm :) i get my 2 points back i lost through the sitesword nerf "FU devs ;)" my sitesword stays op.

But then again perhaps player skill actual does play a role as i mentioned earlier and those max lvl is just for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:47:44 am by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Keshian

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »
Poll is open for a week.

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »
I'm mixed between option 1 and 3. What I liked about this and other RPG games is having something to work towards. When I started in February I tried hard to get through my first gen or two to start getting the xp bonus, get some money saved by using light armor/weaps and begin heir looming something.

Getting more XP the higher the gen rewards the time spent to allow you to try other things out now that the grind is mostly over.
You have invest in things a bit before you get good, so rewarding the time spent in addition to experience in playing is nice.

Option 1 would really help new and infrequent players, though. I was pretty much home and bedridden for a week when I started so gen1 went quick.  A few months later I'm 2/3 through gen3 as I play a few hours here and there.

Also, I'm really terrible at articulating my thoughts. Hope this makes sense.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:20 am »
Even though there isn't one particular option that stands out with this poll, there is at least one very important thing that can be understood by it: The current system isn't good enough. There isn't even a single vote to keep the system as it is.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:02:59 am »
Base XP needs to be raised, way too much of a grind for a new player. High gens grinding to grind is OK, but a first gen should not be so heavily hindered to simply get to level 30 and play.

I support option 1.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.