Author Topic: Archerfest  (Read 3757 times)

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Archerfest
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 02:47:34 pm »
+1
1 thing I thought would help make ranged less attractive and require more skill is to remove the crosshair, playing ranged myself now mainly I think it would be more challenging than the point and click we use now.

People would find a way to get a crosshair anyway and that would get them a HUGE advantage over any other ranged, so no, bad idea. Also, putting something on your screen is VERY accurate. I've used it on css on my old fat computer screen and did pretty awesome with it.

Something like wind (With a little icon to show where it's heading to not make it totally random to aim) would be nice, though. Then it's not just simply aiming higher or lower, you would probably be forced to adapt your aim very often as the wind is changing it's direction.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 03:15:33 pm »
+2
Raising the skill floor can only be part of the solution. The problem is, that never mind how difficult you make shooting, with missile speed, arrow drop, wind, bird poo or anything, the interaction with your target is very low.

In melee you strike your opponend, and he tries to block you, to chamber, to kick/nudge, to dodge or to attack faster. It's like playing tennis.

But shooting is only one-directional. All the skill part happens only on one client side, which is the ranged player. The only skill or interaction which takes place on the target side is moving unpredictably, using as much cover during an advance as possible, or - which is already the peak of interaction with that ranged opponent, since it's "directed" towards him personally - is to either dodge the shots when you see them coming, or to block them with your shield if you happen to wield one.

This leads to only one conclusion: since a raised skill floor for archers only affects the archer side, not the target side (apart from perhaps lowering the general amount of archers and lowering their hit rate by a percentage of which I doubt the infantry players will notice it), the complaints about archery will not stop.

CrazyCracka basically already told the only right solution: changing the game mode. I'd prefer a real conquest mode with a few changes, but having MOTF spawn always at a set time would already help a lot. It would take away from the passivity of infantry and give them more opportunities and freedom. Because right now infantry gameplay on battle mode is quite depressive, since you can only react to the other classes, while those classes enjoy a much higher flexibility. Which is quite frustrating, and "deadlyness" doesn't change much on this.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 06:13:33 pm »
+1
Raising the skill floor can only be part of the solution. The problem is, that never mind how difficult you make shooting, with missile speed, arrow drop, wind, bird poo or anything, the interaction with your target is very low.

Yep. No matter how *skill based* you make it, inevitably some jackass through reductio absurdum will once again simplify the mechanics to "point and click". It already is far from that, but they say it with a straight face anyhow.

They should make 2H more skill based than who can spam left click faster. (See what I did there?)
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login