Author Topic: The Mighty Polearm Insta-Release  (Read 548 times)

Offline GuiKa

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolves
  • Game nicks: Wolves_GuiKa
The Mighty Polearm Insta-Release
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:32:38 pm »
Hi,

If anyone saw me recently on eu_1 i am trying to master the nooby spamming art of the "insta-realease" with polearms. Insta-release consist of holding your swing for a while and releasing it with the best footwork and timing possible to make it almost impossible to block by reflexes.

Sometimes i succeed and it's dam fun and sometimes it makes me fail hard.

I usually move my mouse like a retard to spin and hold the S + A or D (depending the direction), doing this when my char is at full speed make it really fast.

I also often "feint" a release by spinning my char without releasing the swing (leaned that by getting killed by Tor).

So what are your tips for really fast GLA/Poleaxe/Glaive/... release ?

And if you're the guy facing it, what is the best counter ?

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
Re: The Mighty Polearm Insta-Release
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:38:39 pm »
I think I know what you are talking about, and I often see rhaelys do this in duels with a GLB. It certainly catches me (and others off guard) but it is fairly easy to defend against after seeing it a few times.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
Re: The Mighty Polearm Insta-Release
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:54:16 pm »
+1
So what are your tips for really fast GLA/Poleaxe/Glaive/... release ?

And if you're the guy facing it, what is the best counter ?

Tips for the use of this and any weapon, also facing this and all other non crushthroughs: Block enemy attacks, dont be afraid of holding a block for as long as it takes, only attack when enemy is in range, capitalize on your opponents footwork, always hold S key down for 10 seconds everytime your opponents backpeddles (This may seem silly but doing this quickly saps their patienceand shows them that backpeddling is NOT a viable tactic).

Using cheap tricks like the polearm instahit, spamming leftswings as a 1hander, Hadraada style noblock outrange spam attemps, baiting spam to enable easy chambers, using 1hander rightswing to outrange larger weapons, all these tricks, infact, ALL tricks, are only viable SOMETIMES. When you encounter the golden core of warband players Ghost Chrome the Weirdo for example, as yet the BEST warband player I have EVER seen, ONLY 1 thing will save you: Blocking. if you block really well and have enough PS to reliably avoid the glances that will allow spammers to kill you, no tricks will work on you, just block and wait your turn to attack, warband is at its heart a turnbased combat game: you can artificially extend your attacking turn thu feints, holds, and footwork, and to an extent you can make your turntime so fast with WPF and a fast weapon+footwork that you can attack twice on every other turn, but nothing in the world will allow you to avoid a good player having his turn. So wait, and attack when its your turn: tricks are nice to own noobs but they dont work longterm, and even if you DO get a good player with a trick, he will not fall for it again.

TL:DR  Dont rely on tricks, rely on the hardcoded basics of the game: You attack, I block, I attack, you block, and force your enemy to try the tricks: soon you will see the opening in his defense to simply stab him in the face while he tries a ~trick~
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login