Author Topic: Horse Crossbowman "sucks"  (Read 3962 times)

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
Re: Horse Crossbowman "sucks"
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 09:46:03 am »
+1

Offline Tuonela

• Baron
  • Renown: 145
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Tuonela, Merc_Tuoni
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 11:00:57 am »
+1
HC has weapon that does 47 pierce damage and with ha5 you probably can shoot tincans at high speed. But if any HA who can actually shoot from horseback engages you, you die. He can interrupt you from reloading by hitting you, if he shoots your horse you must stand still to reload. I would say HC is close to HA, your success depends highly on what kind of troops enemy has. But for HC, it doesn't matter so much even if enemies were heavily armoured.

Also, I wasn't yesterday tired, it was day before yesterday I said it.

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 11:51:01 am »
+1
I think a Mounted Crossbowman is a fun class to play. But it's too dependant on heirlooms.
Even when wielding a masterwork light xbow, it just doesn't do enough damage.
Unlike a horsearcher, you are almost useless on foot.

Horse archers have the advantage, sadly.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 11:52:29 am »
+1
Why? You can't reload anything above light crossbow on horse, so thats light crossbow+bolts=2 slots? that means 2 slots left for a 2h or a spear/lance. As a foot crossbowman going 1 hand makes sense. I don't see the point in doing in as a HC.
Any horse xbow worth his salt needs more than 15 or 20 bolts
If you die before that, try a new class :P
And what about when you get dismounted? Fighting with a 1h is a lot easier than with a lance

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 11:55:04 am »
+1
Any horse xbow worth his salt needs more than 15 or 20 bolts
If you die before that, try a new class :P
And what about when you get dismounted? Fighting with a 1h is a lot easier than with a lance
With 0 ps and 7 str you won't be doing much damage anyway. It's better to go for a lance which you can couch for an instant kill.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »
+1
With 0 ps and 7 str you won't be doing much damage anyway. It's better to go for a lance which you can couch for an instant kill.
With 12 str and 4PS you can do fine lol
You don't need 30 AGI :')
I'm nearly fully accurate with just 150ish xbow wpf and 3 HA

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »
+1
I did fine with 120xbow wpf, masterwork light xbow and 3 HA. Got a few headshots on HA's now and then, felt great. :P When I got dismounted I'd switch to masterwork lhb and spam til death.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:46 am »
+1
HC are not bad, they are just lame.

What was the point of the thread?

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 02:21:40 pm »
+1
Mounted Crossbowmen have one advantage over HA. The ability to hold a shot for as long as they need to line it up. Brought down many a HA by just following him around, zigging right when needed, then nailing him (his horse, usually) when he made that slow hard left to try to hit me. Not that fun to have to walk back to the battle, is it you jerks?  :mrgreen:

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 04:50:02 pm »
+1
HC are not bad, they are just lame.

What was the point of the thread?

First, if anyone, you are lame. You know, HC are not meant to ride slowly at you so you can kill them easily... Same every cavalry. If a HC destroys you 1vs1, it means, that you don't have enough skill. If you didn't have any counter to them (no ranged weapons) - blame yourself, not HC.

Second, the point of this thread was to show, that HC is a proper class, that can kill enemy.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 11:36:18 pm »
+1
If you didn't have any counter to them (no ranged weapons) - blame yourself, not HC.

Second, the point of this thread was to show, that HC is a proper class, that can kill enemy.
So basically what you say is that hybrid is a must, and by "hybrid" I mean buying an xbow with 1wpf in it. Allow me a minute to puke before I type the rest...

<OK I am back>

So you made a thread showing it can kill. I should start a thread telling how I killed a knight with a stone as a level 1 peasant. Stones kill two. I also has 3 kills with a long dagger as a peasant.

HC is a viable setup like any other. It is more annoying that most others especially when they are the last one the field. On my team I'd take a player with a fork to fight by my side over a HC that will kite around and shoot the terrain anyday. There are only few exceptions.

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:55 am »
+1
Horse crossbows are deadly against HA in the right situations. Back when HA were powerful instead of the skillbased situational class it is now, as infantry support cav I had to carry a light crossbow just so I can point it at the HA to ward them away, since showing a crossbow caused many to take evasive action. If they wanted to call my bluff, the light crossbow was accurate and damaging anough to hit them or the horse with 0 wpf. It was especially deadly in the gun to head shots when one is making a close range high speed pass, often resulting in an instant kill or dismount, which to a horseman is pretty much equivalent. Not to mention, nimble lancer giving you the headache? Pull out the crossbow and blast his light horse, that will teach him.

Pure cav who do not wish to carry infantry only weapons can outfit themselves with lance, shield and light crossbow to deal with all the dangers of mounted combat in 4 slots.

HA versus HC fights are quite entertaining. The Ha does not want to get into close range drive by shots, where the crossbow will have the advantage. The HA also wants to shoot the HC while he is reloading. So HC will chase as HA wants to keep the fight at high speeds, then HA will chase the HC while HC is reloading. Close range shots is usually a tossup, but the HC can cause massive damage if he hits. Do not trot about while fighting the HC since the HC will win, and HA's higher rate of fire allows more adjustments while shooting at top speed.