Author Topic: [Cav thoughts]  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
Re: [Cav thoughts]
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 01:03:33 am »
I think they removed hatted blades being swingable from horseback because of the animations not it being OP. I remember before patch it was icredibly hard to hit inf using that thing on horseback.
Pock gobblers

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 01:19:30 am »
Not everything in the game has to be easy, can still be fun if it is difficult to preform. Also the hafted blades are swingable, but not stabable.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 01:50:18 am »
Oh, I thought it was removed last patch.

You got a point. However, I don't think many cav players would actually use the hafted blade like that. It's just slow, short, and agai hard to use because of the animation. War spear on the other hand, could be viable if it had more blunt damage on the swing.

To me it seems pretty clear cut.1h for swinging, lances for thrust. could have a median for versatility that could do both like the hafted blade, just not as well.
Pock gobblers

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 02:34:08 am »
Right, and just want to have someone quickly press a button on a checkbox list to give the spears a swing animation as well as stab from horseback. I dont care how ineffective it is, just be nice to have more than one attack for such a short weapon on horse.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:10 am »
I agree there should be more options for cavalry (lancers)
Unless you've got a really good computer that doesnt often skip frames and allows you to evaluate an enemy cavalrys position, the only weapon you can use is heavy lance
its longest and gives u the highest chance at hitting someone while still trying to avoid them. Obv this is only one part of lancing, but a very critical one.
I have seen one Cavalrymen use something other than a heavy lance and out-lance me (not arrogance, its fact)
tigerclaw used a light lance as was shitting on me.
other than him, i havent seen it.
one weapon
for a whole class
it doesnt make sense.
Also correct me if i'm wrong but doesnt it seem like Cavalry are among the most neglected classes in the game as far as changes. (Cav is far from perfect.)

I dont know if anyone has noticed this, but this has bugged me for 5 months.

WHY IS THE FIRST CAV HEIRLOOM HEAVY
it gives armor, hp and charge.

second heirloom takes it all away and gives you a little more speed and turning

third gives a little more

its like how balanced was first heirloom then tempered then masterwork and they were all out of sync as far as progressive benefit.

PLEASE FIX THIS

let us keep the heavy heirloom and simpy rename them

1. Heavy
2. Hardened
3. Veteran

or something..

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 08:00:43 am »
I dare to disagree.

That said, many people are crying how OP cavalry is. Well guess what: it's actually UP and not OP. The only reason horsemen get those insane scores is that people of this community are too stupid to counter them in time. All it takes is too look around once you've spawned, instead of running straightforward and not giving a damn about anything.

Hm actually, when I think about it I must say I do agree. Anyone paying attention and sticking to the group will not have trouble with cavalry. Also horses die so fast (comparing to native) - 1 xbow or two good bow shots and my horse is dead. Or a pike for that matter.

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 08:27:26 am »
With one horse, no.
But with 5 horses that's a whole different story - and thanks to their high mobility they can join in a gang from the other side of the map. Or run away from being beaten where the footsoldier just has to accept his dead. Apart from that once you are in a fight you can't look behind you all the time.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 08:43:50 am »
Anyone paying attention and sticking to the group will not have trouble with cavalry.

Exactly.

If people would just pay minimum attention then rarely anyone would play cavalry anymore, since they wouldn't be able to get much kills, and lets admit it: as much as cavalry is the most fun class to play (my personal favorite, after playing full cavalry battles back in native, ages ago, i think this mod should aim for that, or at least have 1 cavalry server, best possible fun in this game EVER), its not fun dying to all these pikes, bolts, arrows, throwing stuff, etc, without making any impact at all.
Luckily for all cavalry enthusiasts out there - there is still a lot of unaware/i dont care/i like spectating/im just leeching/whatever kind of people around here, giving them free kills and thus really insane scores. The best part of it is that those same people then go to forum and cry how cavalry is OP and how those who play it are above the rest, while that simply is not the case. (and no, im not taking anything away from em, they are all good players....well, most of em).
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 12:35:15 pm »
Cavalry usually tops the scoreboard simply because a cavalry hit is usualy a death sentence. Many archers are as usefull for the team, by doing assists. Cavalry can also backstab useless enemies, pumping your score even more, with little to no effect on the final outcome of the round. So saying "cav is OP because cav has insane k/d" isn't right. You can be a good cav and anihilate many of the enemy rabble, it still won't help your team much, as good foot players know how to survive and wait for cav to die by themselves. Cav are dependant on the effectivity and aggressivity of their team. If the round is a mere archery contest, cavalry is screwed because everyone pays attention and nobody is engaged. Attacking an enemy aware of you is usually not a good idea.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 05:41:05 pm »
Sigh, derailed.......again.....this is about giving spears on horseback a purpose, an alternative polearm to the lance.