Author Topic: Suggested change to Riding/Athletics skills  (Read 1516 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Suggested change to Riding/Athletics skills
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 07:10:57 pm »
LOL at lichen...how do you think people stabbed with lances in the past?  It's not like you're holding the fucking lance with just your fingers wrapped and everything is supported by your wrists.  You would have it braced beneath your forearm/elbow (and most likely under your tricep), and the force from hitting an unarmored person from horse with a lance would most likely rip right through the person, or would create such a massive hole that your lance would come right out as they fell over and you rode along. 

And to Piok I would love if the heavy lance was faster at thrusting...currently with 119 WPF in polearms, a +3 heavy lance from horseback still takes almost 1 full second before it reaches full extension.  How is it a "dirty trick" to begin your lance thrust "long before you reach target"?  Would you suggest that I only use half of my lances reach when I stab someone?   :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 07:24:12 pm »
+1
just make the heavy lance 3 slots like a pike or long spear, since its the same thing but with insta kill couch and usable while mounted, outputting vastly more damage each round than pikes and long spears do.

1hand/shield or 2slot weapon + heavy lance is annoying when you dismount the lancer and they begin poleaxe spam or turtle up and become regular infantry, this will require them to use only a 1 slot weapon, only a shield, or try to scavenge weapons after they get dismounted to become effective infantry again.  a simple non intrusive way to discourage 5-6 riding in any melee build instantly becoming a master of all trades every round from spawn on.

ruining athletics for builds with riding is just awful.. athletics is already a luxury for most ranged cav classes, and a pure lancer doesn't use athletics to have higher PS or riding skill already.

I put riding into my 2hand build so I can mount up when I'm sick of infantry and as an internet knight playing an internet horses game it would shatter my immersion to not be able to ride horses without having a gimped useless build for infantry combat.  I rarely bring a lance but when I do having a heavy lance + longsword or any other good weapon is just silly.  I would glady trade off needing a 1 slot weapon to have the mounted power of a lance. 

Just deal with what is easily the most imbalanced part of cavalry, the lances, and making it 3 slots would be a sane nerf.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Weewum

• Count
  • Renown: 159
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 07:35:30 pm »
-Snip-
That would only encourage cav to spam a langes messer once they are dismounted,which is in my opinion even more easymode than a poleaxe, and cheaper.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 07:44:18 pm »
That would only encourage cav to spam a langes messer once they are dismounted,which is in my opinion even more easymode than a poleaxe, and cheaper.

Well opinions of stupid fucks like you doenst count.

Offline OssumPawesome

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »
+1
I like the idea and see where you're getting at.  However, I don't feel like the game is filled with imba agi cav/infantry.  I think encouraging nerfs is generally bad and would normally suggest a buff, but I'm not sure there is one in this case.

Basically I feel you're nerfing to solve a problem that isn't really that big - nah.