Author Topic: Requesting Input/Guidance on Roman Legionnaire Build  (Read 5460 times)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Requesting Input/Guidance on Roman Legionnaire Build
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2011, 05:10:29 pm »
Hmm, thank you all for the suggestions, and I will start posting my screen shots soon of my crappy dude once I get a wee bit more money.

Anywho...

sidenote:
I also am not using a Gladius but more of a Spatha, as it is more of a proper Roman Weapon (I am aiming for more of a later period).

I will look into that Italian Falchion though just to see, as well as the regular board shield and such. I have noticed that the Heavy Board Shield is slowing me down considerably, though it was nice to use it and win against a 2Her axe maniac.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2011, 07:42:26 pm »
A spatha you say, well then sir......sarranid guard sword is your weapon then. Very impressive weapon and very cheap.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »
I beleive (correct me if I'm wrong) that by the spatha period (by which I mean it becoming the main weapon) the shields had become more rounded?
And you may also want to try out war darts as very similar were used by the romans, you get 7 and they're cheaper :)
Also, this might be out dated as I haven't played in a while, but throwing accuraccy is still increased by PT?
If so, 100 wpf in throwing is a waste IMO
My pure str throw only has 30 throwing wpf and has pretty awesome accurracy
Either invest the throwing wpf into your 1h or into polearm so you can use a war spear. Despite the "one attack direction" complaints about that build they are actually really effective if you have a team mate around.
Defintly throwing spears instead of lances IMO too
I'm thinking of composing a Roman units (based off Total War I admit) guide but currently WB won't work for me and I find the armours slightly lacking somewhat. If anyone wants to help me compile it PM me :)

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2011, 07:43:09 am »
Early spatha period they were still using the wee weird turtle shields (Scutum? SP?), anywho.

I finally took my screenshots of the "light" build and the "heavy" build, four of them, and I will post them here as soon as I figure out how to get Steam to give them to me. After I post the pictures here, I will go ahead and retire my man at whatever his level is (20 something) and start again and completely ditch the wpf in throwing, as the difference between 1 and 100 while noticable is rather lackluster compared to what I can do if I sink everything in 1Her. Mildly irritating.

I did find out though that this build is wonderful in seiges, as that Heavy Board Shield allows me to plug gaps rather permanently, and in standard open battles the regular Board Shield can take the place.

I am rather tweaked though of enemy cav. As my Archer I am used to them riding right down on me and being able to shoot the rider or the horse clean in one shot usually, or jump and swipe with the katana at the last second. With this character though, the instant I pull my arm back to hold for a throw, ever cav suddenly has a massive aversion and I create a "bubble" around me. This is making hunting them a bloody nuisance, though I suppose a thrower is more scary then an archer is...

I was starting to get amused though as I would wander around earlier today with a squad in a permanent "ready-to-throw" position and just turn vaguely in the direction of a cav to see them veer off. I noticed I am a sudden bullet magnet for ranged units the instant I pull out a stick to throw... It feels amusing to be on the other side of the fence dodging a hailstorm of projectiles, a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 07:55:17 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
    • View Profile
    • NADS
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »
Right, here are four screenshots.
My apologies for the crappy captures but I was in the heat of battle and had little time.
Also note that this is using the Throwing Javelins instead of the Throwing Spears like I will soon switch to. I shall experiment later once I get more gold (using the cheap upkeep version) with how some of the banded mail looks on him (For that Lorica Segmentata look, yes?).

Light build
(click to show/hide)
Heavy Build
(click to show/hide)

EDIT: Oh and the reason why the last two pictures was me with full javs and health and the time about to run out was because it was a siege map, and somehow despite half of us protecting the flag, the rest of the team was gloriously butchering the invaders (I was not leeching). That was a severe case of screwy team balance with a X5 modifier for almost two dozen matches...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:28:42 pm by Tears_of_Destiny »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 12:25:43 am »
Go for the heavy build, good luck Tears
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 02:19:39 am »
+1
when I've done Legionnaire builds, it was always tri-spec, since thats in reality what they were.

1h, polearm (spears) & throwing

LEGIONAIRE
·   Strength: 18
·   Agility: 15
·   Hit points: 65
·   Attributes to skills: 2
·   Ironflesh: 6
·   Power Strike: 6
·   Shield: 5
·   Athletics: 5
·   Riding: 3
·   Power Throw: 5
·   Weapon Master: 5
·   One Handed: 75
·   Polearm: 75
Throwing: 122

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 08:23:54 pm »
+1
I'd give the nasal helmet a shot. To me the spiked helmet reminds me of likely historically inaccurate prussians. I don't know about the light mail and plate, either. I've used it a bit in the past and it certainly seems much more European circa 15th century. Certainly agree with you on the bad-assery of the board shields. They look sick, and they're an archers best friend. You get two board-shielders and you have a portable siege shield that can pop into combat at any second.

As for throwing weapons, my personal favorite would be war darts, but as far as I can remember the only group of people to extensively use darts in combat was the Irish. It seems that Jarids are very similiar to the pilum that a legionnaire would be likely to use in the time period you are thinking of.

But hey, big props to you for making a build that's not as combat-effective as possible. I think the game would be more fun if more people did that. There would probably be fewer kuyak jackasses, anyway. Much respect, hope you make some min-maxers look silly on the battlefield.

Afterthought: Why no gloves? I am not expert on the period of time that Roman legions inhabited, but I would think that it would be common for them to wear at least leather gloves. Hands are fucking important to protect, man. You gotta use those things to fight with! I can't imagine that most legionnaire' would leave their hands bare.

Also, the fuck? This shit is from back in 2011.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:30:46 am by Sandersson Jankins »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?